Tribune Broadcasting Company Blacks Out DISH Customers in 33 Markets;

I am a DirecTv subscriber but support DISH. Broadcasters are trying to get more and more money as advertising revenue is dropping. They strong arm the satellite and cable companies to do that. ESPN must have trained them on how to extort money from the various sat and cable companies. I still can't believe ESPN is getting around 3$ per sub. Pretty soon the broadcasters will want that ridiculous amount. Hopefully when ATSC 3.0 comes, off-air reception will improve so DISH can tell them to go screw themselves. Hopefully DISH/DirecTv get more subs on OTA reception the broadcasters realize they are not critical for satellite and can't get away with this crap. I can understand people in some large DMA's that rely on satellite TV for their locals, but the greedy broadcasters can be tamed.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for ATSC 3.0. I'm guessing it will probably be at least 5 years (at least) before it has significant penetration.

how fricken cheap.

The antenna they are sending out probably costs more to ship, then it does to buy.

I bet they don't send the OTA USB Dongle.

Would you feel differently if Tribune was blacked out on DirecTV and they were offering free OTA antennas? It might not be much but it IS something at least they are trying something to make good.

I explained that you cannot connect the antenna directly to the HWS receiver...
Connect the antenna to your TV

...and went to ask somebody else about this. About a minute later he returned and told me that the OTA dongle would be included in my antenna shipment. I hope that he is right, but I will believe it when I actually get the adapter.
My guesses.... a) The phone reps are simply taking requests and entering an order for this "Tribune antenna off" and don't know what it consists of but he/she just found out that it does include the OTA dongle or b) they are making an exception in your case. Heh, I should add this one.... c) they told you what you wanted to hear and only an antenna will show up !

Reactions: ChadT41 and Troch77
I thought the same thing & even posted that on another thread here...guess E* thought otherwise, because they ARE indeed, GONE.
But they should NOT be.
The only reason they are gone is because DISH is mapping the "local" channel down to the superstation channel number instead of using a (the) separate feed for the superstation.

Reactions: pattykay
Included antenna dongle

COTRAN.jpg

I know I can do that, but I wanted to see if I could also get an OTA dongle at the same time!

...and you can't record with the antenna connected directly to your TV.

In a few days I will post whether or not I received the OTA dongle.

I just chatted with them and they are sending the antenna out. I should have it Wed. Does it attach to the OTA dongle or to the tv? I should be receiving an email with instructions but the info posted here is always great!

Nice of them to offer an antenna, but they don't mention that you won't get any guide data because even on the OTA channel the guide is just being spammed with a message that the channel has been removed.

And if you have a Hopper 3, chances are you can't watch or record without glitches anyway.

Nice of them to offer an antenna, but they don't mention that you won't get any guide data because even on the OTA channel the guide is just being spammed with a message that the channel has been removed.

And what drives me nuts with that the sub-channel data is there with no problem. Wish they kept the guide data for the primary OTA channel

The email I got says the antenna connects directly to your TV, not to the dongle. I don't see anywhere that Dish promised a free OTA dongle. If they do, let me know so I can order one.

These are the installation instructions:

If is amplified, it is worth over $50, if not, it is worth about $35. I think this outage will be for at least a month, or they wouldn't go to this expense and trouble. I will actually use the antenna on my spare HD TV in my bedroom that doesn't get Dish Service.

Last edited:
Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts