Tribune Broadcasting Company Blacks Out DISH Customers in 33 Markets;

I have KTLA and KWGN as superstations in welcome pk. I called them to complain and got $5 off for next 6 months. I would really like to have them back...Luv KTLA...and all the good looking ladies on there news team...and police chase's...

Reactions: pattykay
I have KTLA and KWGN as superstations in welcome pk. I called them to complain and got $5 off for next 6 months. I would really like to have them back...Luv KTLA...and all the good looking ladies on there news team...and police chase's...

I really like the good looking ladies on tv. I am most fond of christina el moussa, of flip or flop. i would love to meet her:)

ashlee of zombie house flippers is another one, and although she is older hillary of love it or list it

Reactions: charlesrshell
The question is will those that bought the superstations get them back, or lose their grandfathering?

I was wondering the same thing as I have KWGN and it is pulled--and due to Tribune pulling the stations--like WGN-- I dropped down to Top 120+ from Top 200 for awhile.

Nice of them to offer an antenna, but they don't mention that you won't get any guide data because even on the OTA channel the guide is just being spammed with a message that the channel has been removed.

And what drives me nuts with that the sub-channel data is there with no problem. Wish they kept the guide data for the primary OTA channel
Good thing Dish is "looking out for their customers". Too bad there's not a FREE way to access guide data that includes ALL subchannels AND doesn't require a feed from satellite... :rolleyes:

Reactions: DWS44
Good thing Dish is "looking out for their customers". Too bad there's not a FREE way to access guide data that includes ALL subchannels AND doesn't require a feed from satellite... :rolleyes:
Gosh we are spoiled! Back in the days of VCR's you had to manually program timers. These days, we don't do almost anything. The receiver does most of the work, but if the guide data is out, it becomes Armageddon. :D

If you could have the antenna close enough, you could, in theory, split the signal, one to the tv so you do have guide data and one to the receiver, so you have DVR capabilities (if not a bit archaic) and a guarantee of Dolby to the receiver if you can't send Dolby from the TV to the receiver.

What good is an OTA antenna when they are removing all show info from the guide? I already have mine set up (have for many years) and have shows scheduled to record. I can see why they would remove show listings for the ones they relay, but the OTA? None of my timers are any good and I have to manually start recording, and occasionally stop them as well. So how is giving anyone a free antenna going to help if they cripple the guide as well?

Reactions: bspei
The question is will those that bought the superstations get them back, or lose their grandfathering?
I also wondered about that. It could be one of the sticking points in the negotiations, with either Dish or Tribune wanting to change the way the superstations are offered. (Either make them available to new subscribers again, or include the HD feed, or stop offering them outside their markets entirely, as possible examples of changes being proposed by one side or the other.)

Also, I wonder if Tribune is trying to get WGN America added to Welcome Pack? With the Dish press release talking about "forced bundling" with the local stations, it could be interpreted that way.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I also wondered about that. It could be one of the sticking points in the negotiations, with either Dish or Tribune wanting to change the way the superstations are offered. (Either make them available to new subscribers again, or include the HD feed, or stop offering them outside their markets entirely, as possible examples of changes being proposed by one side or the other.)

Also, I wonder if Tribune is trying to get WGN America added to Welcome Pack? With the Dish press release talking about "forced bundling" with the local stations, it could be interpreted that way.
I wish the Superstations were available for everyone.

What good is an OTA antenna when they are removing all show info from the guide? I already have mine set up (have for many years) and have shows scheduled to record. I can see why they would remove show listings for the ones they relay, but the OTA? None of my timers are any good and I have to manually start recording, and occasionally stop them as well. So how is giving anyone a free antenna going to help if they cripple the guide as well?
The guide data is copyright of the station. Their contract states is they are not carrying the channel they can not carry the copyrighted guide info as well.

Last time I talked to a DISH executive about this issue they basically said "hell we would love to have the guide data go and people continue to get the guide, as it would solve these disputes faster if DISH customers were still able to fully enjoy these channels." (Again that is paraphrased from memory not a direct quote) :)

Reactions: fbara
Sure, i may not be affected by this dispute thanks to leaving Dish for DirecTV but disputes like these keeps me coming back to the Dish forum.

Anyway, DFW has not been lucky with the disputes Dish has had in the last two years.

November 2014: KTVT CBS 11 and DFW indy KTXA 21 went dark for 1 whole night due the Dish-CBS dispute, which was resolved.

October 2015: Tegna dispute resulted with WFAA the local ABC station being off the air for almost 1 whole weekend.

Early 2016: Dish was possibly facing a blackout with Fox which would had resulted in the blackout of local Fox O&O KDFW Fox 4 and it MyNetworkTV sister KDFI My27. But the blackout was avoid when Fox and Dish settled their AutoHop related lawsuit which occurred during a period before the agreement that was signed in 2010 expired.

March 2016: NBCUniversal's contract was to expire and they threaten blackout of their channels including KXAS NBC 5 and KXTX Telemundo 39. But Dish and NBCUniversal went to arbitration to settle this and we still have any new news on it on whether they reached a deal for long term carriage.

June 2016: the current on going Dish-Tribune resulted in a ongoing blackout in which is on it's second day which resulted in the blackout of KDAF CW 33.

So who's next in the DFW TX TV market to have a dispute with Dish, my money's on Univision.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

The guide data is copyright of the station. Their contract states is they are not carrying the channel they can not carry the copyrighted guide info as well.

Last time I talked to a DISH executive about this issue they basically said "hell we would love to have the guide data go and people continue to get the guide, as it would solve these disputes faster if DISH customers were still able to fully enjoy these channels." (Again that is paraphrased from memory not a direct quote) :)
Here's what they're missing though... the guide data is INCLUDED in the OTA signal. No, there may not be 7 days worth (probably a day's worth if you're lucky), but how many days do you NEED? As I understand it, that PSIP information should be free for the OTA tuner to be used (the stations don't charge Samsung or Sony to use the PSIP in their TVs). Even a couple hours worth of guide should keep timers functioning.

Dish doesn't need to send the guide data over satellite. It's received from the station via the antenna.

Sure, i may not be affected by this dispute thanks to leaving Dish for DirecTV but disputes like these keeps me coming back to the Dish forum.

Anyway, DFW has not been lucky with the disputes Dish has had in the last two years.

November 2014: KTVT CBS 11 and DFW indy KTXA 21 went dark for 1 whole night due the Dish-CBS dispute, which was resolved.

October 2015: Tegna dispute resulted with WFAA the local ABC station being off the air for almost 1 whole weekend.

Early 2016: Dish was possibly facing a blackout with Fox which would had resulted in the blackout of local Fox O&O KDFW Fox 4 and it MyNetworkTV sister KDFI My27. But the blackout was avoid when Fox and Dish settled their AutoHop related lawsuit which occurred during a period before the agreement that was signed in 2010 expired.

March 2016: NBCUniversal's contract was to expire and they threaten blackout of their channels including KXAS NBC 5 and KXTX Telemundo 39. But Dish and NBCUniversal went to arbitration to settle this and we still have any new news on it on whether they reached a deal for long term carriage.

June 2016: the current on going Dish-Tribune resulted in a ongoing blackout in which is on it's second day which resulted in the blackout of KDAF CW 33.

So who's next in the DFW TX TV market to have a dispute with Dish, my money's on Univision.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

I remember about 3 years ago or so, Fox 8 in New Orleans had a dispute with Dish. It was out for almost the whole month of February, couldn't even watch Fox shows on Hulu because I was trying to access it from a New Orleans IP Address.

Not sure if it's related but in the guide there is a message on ch 17 saying ch 16 is threatening to blackout. Interesting that a message about 16 is appearing on 17 in the guide. 16 is the ABC affiliate in the Scranton/WB market. Would anyone miss ABC if it disappeared one day? Would anyone even notice? :rolleyes:

If people notice about INSP...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts