Tribune Broadcasting Company Blacks Out DISH Customers in 33 Markets;

Oh look the Rev crawled out of his hole to cry racism about something. Looks to me like Tribune put Rev up to this because they know Dish wants to drop WGN and they are grasping at straws
I think it's racist to imply WGN is only geared toward African American.

Maybe he Should go crawl back under his rock.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Careful guys, you may be commenting on your next FCC director when Hillary gets in office. She's certainly got to reward him in some way for all those photo op hugs.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I fully support Dish in this one! My bill is considerably more than I would like now and the never-ending huge carriage fee increases must stop. This thing has gotten 'way out of control!
BTW, I did enjoy Manhattan on WGN but it only lasted 2 years, I finally tired of Salem, otherwise I could easily live without WGN.

They may not have been local into local as authorized by the SHVIA 1999 legislation, but they were advertising and offering "Local Channels" in 1998 and in early 1999 before the legislation was passed. So they were offering "de-facto" local into local service in select markets. A review of their website from 1998 via Archive.org shows the following:

At that time, they were offering locals in Atlanta, Boston, Dallas, Denver, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Portland, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Diego, San Francisco, Seattle, St. Louis, and Washington DC.
Just a slight nitpick with your timeline: I am pretty sure that Seattle was not available until late 1999, after Local-Into-Local started. I remember because I switched to Seattle locals as soon as they became available. At first, the Seattle local package did not include Fox, so I also kept the Los Angeles Dish Nets West until KCPQ was added. Interestingly enough, that same station is now blacked out because of the Tribune dispute, along with my main reason for choosing Dish in the first place: the CW superstations. (They were WB at the time.)

After giving it some thought, I think it is hypocritical of Dish to criticize Tribune for "force-bundling" a low-rated cable channel with the local stations, when Dish does the exact same thing with Welcome Pack, instead of offering just the locals without any other package.

After giving it some thought, I think it is hypocritical of Dish to criticize Tribune for "force-bundling" a low-rated cable channel with the local stations, when Dish does the exact same thing with Welcome Pack, instead of offering just the locals without any other package.
That isn't a valid comparison. There is no way an MVPD can offer just a locals package, unless they want to take a loss on it. It wouldn't even cover their fixed costs of operation, without even considering the programming/channel cost.

That isn't a valid comparison. There is no way an MVPD can offer just a locals package, unless they want to take a loss on it. It wouldn't even cover their fixed costs of operation, without even considering the programming/channel cost.
How do cable providers offer a Lifeline Basic package of locals, then?

How do cable providers offer a Lifeline Basic package of locals, then?
Apples and oranges. Cable systems are localized while satellite systems are national. Franchise requirements for cable systems require that Lifeline be an option. Most cable systems don't advertise this service, you have to ask for it.

Apples and oranges. Cable systems are localized while satellite systems are national. Franchise requirements for cable systems require that Lifeline be an option. Most cable systems don't advertise this service, you have to ask for it.
Dish could do the same thing, though. As it is, they don't really advertise Welcome Pack.

Dish could do the same thing, though. As it is, they don't really advertise Welcome Pack.
And, as has been posted, Welcome Pack pretty well covers the same thing for about the same price. And, many of Welcome Packs channels are HD. Cable Lifeline does not...

And, as has been posted, Welcome Pack pretty well covers the same thing for about the same price. And, many of Welcome Packs channels are HD. Cable Lifeline does not...
I had HD locals with a Lifeline cable package. Granted, that was years ago, so I do not know if those channels are still unscrambled for TVs with built-in digital cable tuners.

What does that mean "National". Locals on Satellite are spot beamed for that reason? Correct? Just asking because either system could do whatever they wanted if they wanted. You may say that Dish and Direct can go in any town from LA to NY. Most cable company's have agreements with a certain towns or city's. In Wisconsin you either get Charter or Time Warner. Why is that so different. Just couscous. Thanks; :)

Apples and oranges. Cable systems are localized while satellite systems are national. Franchise requirements for cable systems require that Lifeline be an option.

Reactions: pattykay
What does that mean "National". Locals on Satellite are spot beamed for that reason? Correct? Just asking because either system could do whatever they wanted if they wanted. You may say that Dish and Direct can go in any town from LA to NY. Most cable company's have agreements with a certain towns or city's. In Wisconsin you either get Charter or Time Warner. Why is that so different. Just couscous. Thanks; :)
Without knowing all the details, the difference is the rules the FCC imposes on cable systems are different that on satellite. That is why cable offers CableCard for a cheap price and Lifeline Local service. Satellite could do these things I suppose, but without a financial incentive or regulatory requirement, I'm guessing they won't. The Welcome Pack is the closest thing to a Lifeline service.

I'd love to have a CableCard option for satellite.

Reactions: budda

When I checked a year ago Comcast in my area offered their "lifeline" service (locals, local gov. channels and edu channels) for $16.50 a month including an SD box (+ taxes and fees). You could get them in HD for an additional $7 for the HD box rental.

When I checked a year ago Comcast in my area offered their "lifeline" service (locals, local gov. channels and edu channels) for $16.50 a month including an SD box (+ taxes and fees). You could get them in HD for an additional $7 for the HD box rental.
So for less price than the HD option, you can get Welcome Pack which includes more channels than the "lifeline" service. I fail to see where the "hypocrisy" is.

Reactions: Tampa8
Here is Cox cables...10+ channels

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 215
I think the matter of LIL as add on pricing or included in price is matter of marketing and how consumers interpret "a la carte" pricing. While some can interpret as Charlie and Dish had from day one as offering those who may not want LIL a savings in their bill. However, the vast majority of consumers seem to interpret the LIL add on pricing as Dish, or whatever company, as forcing them to pay extra for LIL when it ought to be included in the standard package price. Cable cos and DirecTV would crow, "Local Channels included" in their ads, omitting that what was really happening was that they were just increasing the total price to include the LIL add on price. This put Dish at a competitive disadvantage as far as consumer attitudes who viewed Dish the worse value because if one wanted their LIL's they would have to pay "extra," and that notion does not sit well with most consumers. So, Dish dropped the LIL add on pricing and had to offer packages with LIL's included, of course, not for free but with appropriate pricing of the add on cost included in the final package price.

Blame the consumers who wont purchase a loaf for bread for 50 cents, but those same consumers will enthusiastically buy the same loaves of bread priced as "2 loaves for $1," because of the perceived value, yet those loaves are just as expensive (same price) as they were the day before. Of course, people on this forum are too smart to fall for that, right :). I won't get into "up sell" pricing like soft drinks at fast food priced at tiers like Small, Medium, Large. Bottom line is a consumer has spent more money than intended because they were focused on the value rather than spending less money for what they REALLY wanted. Retailers love how the up-spell makes them so much money (maybe I did get into it, after all :)).

Reactions: STDog and Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)