Tribune Broadcasting Company Blacks Out DISH Customers in 33 Markets;

Am I the only one that finds it funny they don't suggest getting an antenna for OTA?
You know, the principle/intended means of distribution of their signal?
Lol great point. I'm sure the real reason DISH gives out the antennas and suggests OTA is to make that point - their signal is free but charge escalating costs to providers.

Reactions: STDog
Comcast, Charter, and Time Warner are all getting rid of ClearQAM locals anyway
Thank the FCC for that or more accurately, thank the cable industry's lobbyists. Years ago, the cablecos were required to provide local channels unencrypted, you know, as that's in the best interest of consumers.... They are no longer required to do so, so they quickly moved to lock them down. :(

Reactions: jamesjimcie
And they haven't improved their broadcast equipment to fully serve their DMA either, relying on the paid services to redistribute for them instead.

New idea for the FCC/congress. No re-transmission fees unless they can show 95% of the DMA can receive a usable OTA signal.
You do realize the FCC has a LOT to say in what a local is allowed to do when it comes to "improving their broadcast equipment", right? A station can't increase power, put up a new antenna, move the antenna higher, etc without the blessing of the FCC.

And do you want to cover 95% of land mass or 95% of viewers?

So i havent checked in a while
but

154 the nfl network is back for me!!

that makes me somewhat happy, now that preseason is here
i bet fox will be coming soon, before the reg. season starts

dont mess with the NFL, they have the most influence imo

I live just south of Indianapolis. The free OTA antenna Dish provided works surprisingly well for me. I am picking up a ton of stuff, but a lot of it is junk. I remember when HD first came out, my brother did some antenna installs for people. He said it was weird that one antenna would work great at one location and but the same antenna at a home just a couple of miles away was unusable. He carried 5 different antennas at all times to make sure the customer got the one that best works for that location. I knew Tribune was going to pull this crap when they bought the CBS rights here and already had the FOX rights. Nothing like locking up the market on the two big networks especially when it comes to the NFL. We are strongly looking at dropping cable with the OTA and Netflix and Hulu. I think both side are going to lose in the long run. Tribune is going to lose money from Dish and try to get it from Direct or Comcast. If Dish continues to holds out, others may do the same. Dish and others will lose customers as people figure out other ways to watch their shows. Lets face it, there is only some much you can watch. With so much out there, getting the consumer to buy your service is going to get tough.

.... Tribune is going to lose money from Dish and try to get it from Direct or Comcast. If Dish continues to holds out, others may do the same. Dish and others will lose customers as people figure out other ways to watch their shows. Lets face it, there is only some much you can watch. With so much out there, getting the consumer to buy your service is going to get tough.

Well said.

Ok, I'm ready to make a prediction. :biggrin
Tribune is going to blink soon, within about two - three weeks or so. Locals can not afford less eyes during the most expensive commercial cost time, new season and NFL. (for locals that have the NFL team)

You do realize the FCC has a LOT to say in what a local is allowed to do when it comes to "improving their broadcast equipment", right? A station can't increase power, put up a new antenna, move the antenna higher, etc without the blessing of the FCC.

While I'd prefer land are, I'd settle for population first.
They goal being for the station to do a better job of reaching those in the DMA.

Oh, and none of this 30ft high outdoor antennacrap either. Attic, eve, roof mount. No excuse for so many in the DMA to have to go to great lengths to receive the signal that's dedicated to them.

Where I grew up, the FCC's own maps (based on a 30ft high antenna) show no signal for the NBC and CBS stations I watched as a child in the analog days. FOX and 2 PBS stations are "weak" now. But back in the 80s they were all usually clear with a good antenna at the roof peak (Under $100 total)
So per the FCC I'd only get ABC and one PBS stations there now with a more expensive antenna setup than we used in the 80s.

I'm aware the FCC plays a role in expanding coverage as do many other things (like access to space for an antenna). But, I doubt the FCC would give them much difficulty over installing low power repeaters to cover some areas (like those in a shadow)

Greetings from annoyed Des Moines.
Greetings from annoyed OKC!

I have been fine without nbc this summer. I stand with dish and believe what that are doing is right and hopefully other providers will do the same. However, I can be patient for only so long. Once the fall prime time season starts I expect them to have resolved this. If it is not then they should let me out of my contract WITHOUT me paying any early termination fees. I want to stay with dish but to not have NBC is a deal killer IMO.
DirectTV should offer to pay any ETFs to dish subs that switch. Kinda like how alot of the cell providers where doing to each other last year.

As a minimum, they should've been required to provide a digital signal to anyone who could receive the analog signal. Not one station in either my DMA or the next nearest one (which, due to terrain, I used to receive better) provides me with a digital signal. Granted, the analog signals weren't full-quieting with a modest antenna, but no size of antenna without an impractical or probably even illlegal tower will get me even a hint of the digital signal.

But, I doubt the FCC would give them much difficulty over installing low power repeaters to cover some areas (like those in a shadow)
I think you would be surprised at how difficult it is to come up with available frequencies.

As a minimum, they should've been required to provide a digital signal to anyone who could receive the analog signal. Not one station in either my DMA or the next nearest one (which, due to terrain, I used to receive better) provides me with a digital signal. Granted, the analog signals weren't full-quieting with a modest antenna, but no size of antenna without an impractical or probably even illlegal tower will get me even a hint of the digital signal.
I think there was language similar to what you asked for, but maybe it was to cover 95% (or 90%, whatever) of existing viewers.

I think you would be surprised at how difficult it is to come up with available frequencies.

I think there was language similar to what you asked for, but maybe it was to cover 95% (or 90%, whatever) of existing viewers.

Sam, do you see the frequency sell off, new ATSC 3.0 etc helping, hurting or having no real impact in receiving an OTA signal.
I ask because if a few present channels go to a SUB channel on another existing tower to share that frequency, depending what the move is I could be without several Networks or some of the present channels I get because I don't get those towers now.

Reactions: anex80