TRIBUNE & DISH reach an agreement

Because WGN America is back, I would say it wasn't DISH who blinked.

I don't think carrying WGNA was the issue. Dish is happy to carry it at the right price.
Dish was unhappy with the price increase and tying it in with the retrans agreement for locals.

If Tribune backed off on the (supposed) big price increase then Dish would have no reason (yet) to not continue to carry it.

But Tribune was asking for a lot more because of the new programming and Dish was saying it's not worth that much yet.

At least that's what I got form the various blurbs to the press.

I guess that the uplink computer needs a refresh. The 9/3/16 return of the Tribune stations hasn't shown up yet.

In Feb of '11 they were included, prior to that you had the choice. Even in areas that couldn't get locals, up until atleast 2014, they reduced the package price by $5.

Originally locals, superstations or distant networks were $5.99 each or two for $8.99 but the two for pricing was dropped when DISH had to drop the distant networks.

Reactions: STDog
Originally locals, superstations or distant networks were $5.99 each or two for $8.99 but the two for pricing was dropped when DISH had to drop the distant networks.

Per James Log's page, the $5 bundling price started in 2004.
http://jameslong.name/pricing.html

And EKB shows some older pricing
http://dishuser.org/ratehistory.php

I had PT24 E&W for $4 ($6 for both) then Dish Nets E&W for $5 the $6 ($8 then $9 for both) each until 2004 when my locals became available and and I was forced to switch.

But even in the early 2000s they were more than $5 and had risen in price a few times.
Given what we know about retransmission costs, I don't find $10 particularly out of line.

The goal for now appears to be to keep the total for all markets down so that $10 is profitable.

Is that everywhere or on average? I suspect a few markets might be really close to not profitable at $10 now.

It appears the national feed of CW is no more.

That's... not good... :(

There is going to be a CW National Feed on the Roku ( and other devices) free of charge.

The CW App is supposed to be out before October.

Giant news if you prefer to watch on the big(ger) screen! This fall, every show on The CW will be available on Roku, Chromecast, AirPlay, Apple TV, Xbox, and Amazon Fire TV. Don’t worry, it’s still free and there’s no logins and no subscriptions. It's the only place to stream CW shows like Supergirl, The Flash, Jane The Virgin, Arrow, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, iZombie, Supernatural, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, The 100 and The Originals.

http://www.cwtv.com/thecw/apps

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Per James Log's page, the $5 bundling price started in 2004.
http://jameslong.name/pricing.html

And EKB shows some older pricing
http://dishuser.org/ratehistory.php

I had PT24 E&W for $4 ($6 for both) then Dish Nets E&W for $5 the $6 ($8 then $9 for both) each until 2004 when my locals became available and and I was forced to switch.

But even in the early 2000s they were more than $5 and had risen in price a few times.
Given what we know about retransmission costs, I don't find $10 particularly out of line.

The goal for now appears to be to keep the total for all markets down so that $10 is profitable.

Is that everywhere or on average? I suspect a few markets might be really close to not profitable at $10 now.
I started with Dish in 2011, and it was a month later that forced bundle of locals began. It's also the same time they cut off annual programming.

Reactions: Troch77
I started with Dish in 2011, and it was a month later that forced bundle of locals began. It's also the same time they cut off annual programming.

I meant being forced to switch to locals instead of Dish Nets. While the cost was slightly lower, I lost the west coast feeds which was a big deal back before multiple tuners and DVRs. I had to record some stuff on a VCR using OTA (with crappy signal) because I didn't have the second feed anymore. That pushed me to get a DVR, but the OTA signal still sucked. But at least I could record a good feed and watch the OTA live so it wasn't degraded further by the VCR.

Those of you that claim you don't get the special feeds of cw may want to talk to dirt. I get both 916 and 919.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    34.9 KB · Views: 173
I am sure Dish has a certain way of doing this like installs some pay ,some don't. But if you look under "My reward certificates" If it is there you will see.

Completely blank for me. I go to mydish.com/thanks and it says "In order to use the PPV Certificate, you will need to log in to your online account. Click Continue below to log in using your DISH Online ID and Password. If you're already logged in, we'll take you straight to the PPV Certificate page."

I click Continue, it logs me in and takes me to the "My Pay-Per-View Certificates" page, and that chart at the top is completely blank, no certificate listed there at all.

Reactions: reddice and Troch77
Completely blank for me. I go to mydish.com/thanks and it says "In order to use the PPV Certificate, you will need to log in to your online account. Click Continue below to log in using your DISH Online ID and Password. If you're already logged in, we'll take you straight to the PPV Certificate page."

I click Continue, it logs me in and takes me to the "My Pay-Per-View Certificates" page, and that chart at the top is completely blank, no certificate listed there at all.
Same here.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Had you contacted Dish to complain about the loss of the Tribune stations? Maybe they are only automatically giving the PPV certificates to people who complained during the dispute.

I don't have one either, but I didn't expect any, as none of the Tribune stations affected me.

Reactions: pattykay
I don't have one either, but I didn't expect any, as none of the Tribune stations affected me.
The funny thing is that the day after the dispute was resolved I moved to a market that had been affected by the Tribune dispute and I saw the video promoting the free PPV certificate. I checked my account and I did not see a certificate there, so I did an online chat. I was not able to get the PPV certificate on that account, but I did get three free months of EPIX. :)

Same here.

The email should have a code listed in it. Contact Dish with that handy and see if they can figure it out.

On a related note, The certificate is supposed to be good for $6.99, and PPV channels 502+.
That would cover HD movies, but when I to to the website to order (you cant use the cert on the receiver) all I see are SD options.

I got on chat last night and first the rep said it was only good for SD movies. After I balked and pointed how all the reasons that didn't make sense, she later said I would have to call to order HD with the certificate.

Does anyone have similar issues with only SD being listed on the online ordering pages?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)