TRIBUNE & DISH reach an agreement

Man, I really scored on this one. Lost a channel I never watched for a while, called in to complain and got $10 off per month and 2% of Dish's telecommunications bandwidth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tampa8
Tribune must have figured out that the real NFL sports fanatics would use a cheap indoor antenna to watch the games for free. People like to watch it live, without using a DVR. Tribune doesn't get a nickel when people watch it OTA.

Clearly, Tribune blinked.

Reactions: jamesjimcie
Tribune must have figured out that the real NFL sports fanatics would use a cheap indoor antenna to watch the games for free. People like to watch it live, without using a DVR. Tribune doesn't get a nickel when people watch it OTA.

I believed Dish's leader, when he said he was perfectly willing not to have tribune's stations on Dish ever again. I agree with you. I think Tribune blinked and checked their wallets for Moths!

This is a take I see too often around here - "Charlie never loses". I'm not saying I know otherwise - we are all speculating. It strikes me that maximum leverage for Tribune would come a few weeks into the NFL season, not now. From that viewpoint, doesn't it follow that Tribune would only come to terms now if they got what they wanted?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like I said, I think it had most to do with the status of WGN9 losing its affiliation as a CW station which ended Sept. 1. The timing just seems too coincidental.

I doubt that.

Anyone that can use OTA was probably already using it before dish started handing out cheap antennas.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

This is a take I see too often around here - "Charlie never loses". I'm not saying I know otherwise - we are all speculating. It strikes me that maximum leverage for Tribune would come a few weeks into the NFL season, not now. From that viewpoint, doesn't it follow that Tribune would only come to terms now if they got what they wanted?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think you haven't been around long enough then! :)
I would characterize most of us felt DISH may have blinked *more* in some past cable channel disputes particularly in a couple of the bigger ones. I am sticking to my post here that it is hard to tell in this one, but history and timing that I see says the opposite of you, a few weeks into the season hundreds of thousands of advertising money is lost to Tribune because they have less eyes watching and that can not be recovered by then it is too late. I think that played a big part. Over the 17 or so years I have had DISH and all the years on the forums I can say I do believe Charlie when he said they were prepared to live without the Tribune channels, though it is part negotiating tactic too. He has proven he means it in the past, and when it comes to locals I double down on that.

As importantly we now see DISH has been negotiating for more than just the cost and bundling demands but also for OTT/digital rights and new package configurations. It sure seems that DISH is making a move to make changes and not just minor ones to both attract new customers and importantly to keep existing subs. Backing down on those types of contract conditions that are needed to do something like Flex, or perhaps to be able to reduce a package by $15 for subs for two years won't get it done. Did Charlie have to negotiate not having locals, not having ESPN, not having the RSN(s) in the Flex Pack? Did DISH have to negotiate to have all the cable channels assembled in it the Flex Package? Is there a deal to help defray the cost of keeping customers that in the end helps both sides in negotiations? And then there's the shadow of wireless programming deals?

I wonder now that the Tribune stations are back if channel 102 is going to show marathons of missed shows during the dispute? They did this with AMC and FX went away.
AMC and FX are cable stations. Tribune channels are locals, I don't think you'll see any kind of marathon...

Got mine. Thanks! No email. But the certificate is in my account!

Did I miss something? I didn't get any email, and when I went to that link, it brought me to the "redeeming a certificate" page, but I don't have any certificate listed there...

Before the dispute, they were providing me with WPIX on chan. 916 because they don't uplink the CW in my small Tx. DMA. I guess that isn't coming back. I wish they would still sell me superstations if they refuse to provide my local CW. :mad:

I'm in the same boat. I've got WGN 239 back, but I'm still missing CW 919, which means as of right now, I still have no CW channel at all.

Anyone know what's going on with this?

Funny story...after a weekend out, home tonight, my wife looks on the DVR & exclaims "Yes! The People's Court is on again! There's been some sort of problem with Channel 50 in DC. "

I've been following the dispute, but from a distance, interested in the big picture (I've been affected by other dispute s, and would have been p**ing & moaning if it were my NFL channel).

No idea it was missed in my house :eek:

Did I miss something? I didn't get any email, and when I went to that link, it brought me to the "redeeming a certificate" page, but I don't have any certificate listed there...

I'm in the same boat. I've got WGN 239 back, but I'm still missing CW 919, which means as of right now, I still have no CW channel at all.

Anyone know what's going on with this?
It appears the national feed of CW is no more.

Look at the price of locals in the Flex packs. They are $10. When locals were sold as a pack before, they were $5. Looks like a big price increase to me.
Are you going back 15-20 years?

Dish must have figured out the real NFL sports fanatics would switch to DirecTV or cable to watch the games. People like to watch it live on TV, not streamed. Dish doesn't get a nickel when people switch providers.

Clearly, Dish blinked. :oldwink

Something tells me Tribune didn't get all it asked for and Dish is paying more than it wanted to. We'll never know the specifics.

It is funny I guess. Since DISH had indicated they do not need WGN America the fact that it did come back made me wonder if WGN won at least hat point. But that is sheer speculation on my part. for all i know Tribune caved.

I am sure Dish has a certain way of doing this like installs some pay ,some don't. But if you look under "My reward certificates" If it is there you will see.

Attachments

• certificte.PNG
    certificte.PNG
    1.5 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: STDog

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)