Trimmed some fat, and it feels good...

Actually I never heard of a cable or satellite provider charging a DVR fee PER receiver.

It used to be a $7 charge per receiver, $5 fee for not hooking up the phone line and a $5 DVR fee per receiver.

You could eliminate the phone line fees by hooking the phone line up, and the $5 per receiver DVR FEE could be waived by subscribing to the everything pack.

With (6) 722's on my account the DVR Fee would have been $30 per month.

Since I had AT250 at the time, the everything pack was $30 or $35 more. So I eliminated the DVR fees and went with the everything pack which was a better value at the time.

Got each 722 on my account down to $7 each.

Then some idiot at Dish decided to simplify the fees and went to a $17 charge per 722 receiver. At that point removed all the movie channels which I didn't watch anyways.

Finally dumped Dish, went to Directv and am paying $6.50 per receiver and have all DVR's again.
It is particularly disturbing to pay a receiver fee for a receiver I bought outright.

It is particularly disturbing to pay a receiver fee for a receiver I bought outright.
That I can understand, and it would be incentive for people to buy them, but I do get where Dish is coming from too. There has been speculation that there is a fee for active outlets Dish must pay to channel owners, so if that is the case, owned or not, the fee makes sense. The way I think about is like Sprint. Whether you own the phone or not, if it is a smart phone, and has been activated or changed after a certain date, they charge a $10 fee for the 4G capability... Even if you do not live in a 4G area, or can use 4G. Just because it is capable. Dish does the same as far as just active receivers. The advantage is you can deactivate purchased equipment whenever you want, and not pay a fee. Leased equipment you must return.

By the way Claude, I know it may not seem like it, but I actually like DTV a lot. If I ever left Dish, I would go to DTV. They have a nice product, I just prefer Dish as I fully understand the product and am ok with being in compliance with their TOS. I wasn't trying to start the debate all over again on which company is better or worse, which is cheaper or more expensive, just curious as to how the numbers truly add up against eachother in the long run. Where do you actually compare, kind of thing.

Directv new customers pay 6.50 for each receiver and if you have a dvr or genie then one $15 advance receiver fee, no matter how many DVRs you have.

Old customers first receiver is free, hd fee is $10, Dvr fee is $10 and whole home is $3, again all just one time.

So new customers actually save $1.50

Directv new customers pay 6.50 for each receiver and if you have a dvr or genie them one $15 advance receiver fee.

Old customers first receiver is free, hd fee is $10, Dvr fee is $10 and whole home is $3.

So new customers actually save $1.50
Do the receivers only control one tv independently? That is really going to be where the comparisons start coming in. I am betting that Claude's setup was (6) 722's for 6 rooms, when he would have been good with either (3) 722's or (1) 722 and (5) 612's. Maybe even 2 or 3 Hoppers and 4 or 5 joeys. I am just trying to build the picture on these setups. Is it preference that is going to make the cost difference?

It breaks down like this for 6 rooms in different arrangements:

DTV New Customer- 6 rooms=$54
DTV Existing customer- 6 rooms= $62
DISH-
(6) 722= $92
3 H/3J= $57
(1) 722 (5) 612= $57
(3) 722= $41

Each of these can control 6 rooms to my understanding(Exception to the 722/612 combo can control 7 rooms and price remains the same)

Directv a receiver is a receiver each room is $6.50, no matter if it's a cheap SD or a genie, even genie clients are 6.50.

We have a hr44 genie and 4 HD DVRs and pay

$26 in receiver fees, $10 hd fee $10 dvr fee $ 3 whole home fee.

$49 in fee's for 5 rooms with 13 recordable tuners sharing one massive playlist...

You did 5 rooms, I was going on the assumption that Claude had 6 receivers for 6 rooms. I can rerun all the numbers for 5 TV's... They will come out pretty close still though between the two companies. It is not really a "who is cheapest", but was more of a way to stop letting that be the argument. I have said it 1000+ times. Cable is what is best for some folks, DTV is what is best for some folks, and Dish is what is best for some folks. In the end, the likelihood of getting a product damn near identical is extreme. Each company has a niche, and you should go with what is best for you, but the pricing will be similar in nature.

I got $55.50 for the receiver+ additional fees on the 5 room setup. 6.50*5=32.50+10+10+3=$55.50

You did 5 rooms, I was going on the assumption that Claude had 6 receivers for 6 rooms. I can rerun all the numbers for 5 TV's... They will come out pretty close still though between the two companies. It is not really a "who is cheapest", but was more of a way to stop letting that be the argument. I have said it 1000+ times. Cable is what is best for some folks, DTV is what is best for some folks, and Dish is what is best for some folks. In the end, the likelihood of getting a product damn near identical is extreme. Each company has a niche, and you should go with what is best for you, but the pricing will be similar in nature.

I got $55.50 for the receiver+ additional fees on the 5 room setup. 6.50*5=32.50+10+10+3=$55.50
I am an old customer so first receiver is free, pricing is as I posted above

New customer pay for every receiver but only one $15 advance fee

Gotcha. $47 for the (1)722 and (4)612's and $50 for the 3H2J solutions. That is 10, and 9 tuners. I think we can all agree at that point that those should be enough tuners(all three solutions) for most any household. There will always be an exception. And it is cool to have more, but pointless to the masses.

Ya we really don't need 13 tuners, 8 would probably be enough for my family, but when we added the genie we saw no point in exchanging my old HD DVRs for clients when you don't save any money. Directv offered to add the genie and 3 clients and leave one dvr, I would have had 7 tuners but the cost would have been the same as 13.

Reactions: ChadT41
If you're a good enough customer with an owned receiver, even without the protection plan, you will often pay nothing for replacement.
They told me that they don't do that anymore . Now if you fuss and scream loud enough that you will cancel,I 'm sure that they will relent.

They did it for me a few weeks ago...no fussing and screaming necessary.

Dang. You must be a better customer than I. I had to add the PP for my owned receiver. Leased receivers they did for free.

No recent problems but I have never paid postage for a defective receiver. It's been a long time so hard to remember but I believe the only time they said there would be a charge was the last time,and I balked at it and it was not charged. This was long before DIRT so it was actually a phone CSR.

Directv a receiver is a receiver each room is $6.50, no matter if it's a cheap SD or a genie, even genie clients are 6.50.

We have a hr44 genie and 4 HD DVRs and pay

$26 in receiver fees, $10 hd fee $10 dvr fee $ 3 whole home fee.

$49 in fee's for 5 rooms with 13 recordable tuners sharing one massive playlist...

While not far off, DISH is a little more in fees in that many rooms I do believe, but I have always said that. DirectTV in a way charges more to the ones who have what by far most homes have, one, two or three rooms. As an example If you have VIP612 receivers in two or three rooms you will save quite alot over DirectTV, I am at $16.50 less per month.

The way I think about is like Sprint. Whether you own the phone or not, if it is a smart phone, and has been activated or changed after a certain date, they charge a $10 fee for the 4G capability... Even if you do not live in a 4G area, or can use 4G. Just because it is capable. Dish does the same as far as just active receivers.

good analogy. sprint has been hemorrhaging customers!

Dang. You must be a better customer than I. I had to add the PP for my owned receiver. Leased receivers they did for free.
Same here, I own and they said I had to add the PP or they wouldn't replace the receiver a few months back. They used to do it for free.

Same here, I own and they said I had to add the PP or they wouldn't replace the receiver a few months back. They used to do it for free.
Not to knock you Mike, but you are the one that continually insists on getting something like a $35 credit for 3 different accounts. I think after all the credits they give you... charging for replacement equipment is just karma in your case. Krell, not sure about you... you do not brag about that often. Technically, they are supposed to charge it, and if a customer pushes back, especially without any credits and good rating, will use common sense judgement and waive it. Could have been your account, or just the rep roulette.

Reactions: KAB
Krell, not sure about you... you do not brag about that often. Technically, they are supposed to charge it, and if a customer pushes back, especially without any credits and good rating, will use common sense judgement and waive it. Could have been your account, or just the rep roulette.

Yeah, I rarely go for the credits. My rep was one of the dirt team members. Bill over $100 these days.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)