Trouble call with a happy ending

ChadT41

THE BEST THERE HAS EVER BEEN
Original poster
Apr 20, 2014
Mesa, Az
Before I begin, it’s not the happy ending you were thinking of.

So yesterday had a Dish tech come work on my system. For over 6 months, I have been unable to use anything internet on my Joey, and been getting 8 mbps on my Hopper. I pay for 100 mbps through Cox, and was getting frustrated. Tried everything I could, but WiFi was really the only solution. HIC didn’t work, SlingLink didn’t work, WiFi range extender didn’t work. I felt defeated.
So yesterday the tech comes and goes through all the system settings and tells me “everything looks right, I don’t know what is wrong. I can leave since Dish is functioning correctly, but I want to know what the issue is myself”. 2 tech curious minds got together and would not be defeated. We went and made a multiple extension long Ethernet connection. I went up to downloading VODs at 200+ mbps and my Joey starting working correctly(including voice remote for my kids). Needless to say, the Cox tech is about 5 minutesbout now to drop a line and the issue should be permanently fixed. Will update how Cox goes(Dish tech told me that if they try and scam out of it, he will come back and install for me, but since his shop has one spoil of cable, I would have to buy my own 50’ run. $10 at Walmart).

Well Cox just pulled up. Let y’all know how it goes.

I think Menards sells pretty good RG6 3Gb coax for a decent price. I wish I could run an Ethernet to my TV. My router is in my bedroom, and the TV mounted in the living room. If I can get my hands on one of the new Mesh Routers dish is field testing, I'd be in good shape

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Well, didn’t get completed. He was a television tech. I obviously do not have Cox TV. The tech said they do not even have the tools to crimp the ends of the cat6. He did, however, leave me with 200’ spool of Cat5e. I accepted with no qualms. I rescheduled for next week, and still going to be free(in lieu of the time without service credit).

I wouldn’t mind doing it myself, however I do not have the wall fish nor the crimpers. Nor a ladder to get in my attic(that’s easily resolved though). I may get myself up there and atleast look around, may be easier than expected.

I’ve laid out my attic to get around easily, with plenty of light and power.

Now, I want to replace a square access panel with a full fold down ladder, so it’ll be easier to get up there as I age.

But I guess that’s beyond my wife and I.

Our attics in AZ are not made for any storage. They are basically just drywall, so it’s onebof those “be super careful” kinds of thing, and cabling is the only reason anyone should be up there. I think I’m going to have the fiancée help hoist me.

2 tech curious minds got together and would not be defeated. We went and made a multiple extension long Ethernet connection. I went up to downloading VODs at 200+ mbps and my Joey starting working correctly(including voice remote for my kids).

I am not following where this cable was run, and what it bypassed to make everything work correctly. Are you saying that the Hopper was on WiFi before? If hardwiring is all that it took, I'm surprised Cox will spring for that.

Our attics in AZ are not made for any storage. They are basically just drywall, so it’s onebof those “be super careful” kinds of thing, and cabling is the only reason anyone should be up there. I think I’m going to have the fiancée help hoist me.

And inaccessible most of the year! At least it's March.

I am not following where this cable was run, and what it bypassed to make everything work correctly. Are you saying that the Hopper was on WiFi before? If hardwiring is all that it took, I'm surprised Cox will spring for that.
They didn’t willingly. The alternative solution was a very large credit for the work the have been doing that has caused my internet to be down more than up. I told them I would forego the credit for the line run. Long term solution. They agreed it made more sense. Longevity with the company helped.

I think I have a new business idea that will help combat customer churn. Not sure HipKat is going to like it though.

Just add the DISH logo and he'd be ready for the road.

Happy Endings.jpg

They are coming Saturday, 5-7. Granted for the majority of the country, that will be 7-9. Lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)