Trouble receiving 129 with a Dish 1000.2

Bent82

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
Upper Peninsula Of Michigan
This month I finally bought an HDTV and added an HD package to my Dish Network account so I could make good use of it. I bought a Dish 1000.2, and the installer set it up and everything worked great. For various reasons, I needed to move the dish to get it off the building. So I put it on a post in the yard. I peaked it on 119, and I am getting a signal on my VIP722 of about 60, 110 is coming in about 65. But I cannot, for the life of me, get it to lock in on 129. I know the sat is in rough shape and has a low signal anyway, but I thought once 119 and 110 locked in, 129 would follow. I tried spinning the skew but it never showed up. Anyone have any advice? There are some trees that could be interfering, but I don't know. I can get some pictures later if I have to. Thanks.

That is unfortunate, they are pretty sparse trees, especially at this time of year, but that would be the only thing that might be blocking. I don't have many other options either. Thanks for you response.

The most critical part of mounting a 1000.2 is to make sure your pole mount is plumb. If the mount is plumb, next try covering the two outside eyes with aluminum foil and peak 119; then remove the foil and run a check switch.

The pole is plumb, it is the first thing I checked. I also followed the recommended advice of covering the outer lnb's and pointing at 119, so I know I am getting 119 and 100 on the correct lnb's.

Makes sense about the location, for most forums I go to location is pointless and I leave it blank. I updated it, in case it makes any difference to anyone. But as I said, it was working when it was mounted on the building.

The pole is plumb, it is the first thing I checked. I also followed the recommended advice of covering the outer lnb's and pointing at 119, so I know I am getting 119 and 100 on the correct lnb's.

Makes sense about the location, for most forums I go to location is pointless and I leave it blank. I updated it, in case it makes any difference to anyone. But as I said, it was working when it was mounted on the building.

I agree with rcdallas that your problem might be no line of sight for 129. Pictures will help us see if that's the problem.

Well if your in the UP, I know you have an absolute low look angle to 129... if in Detroit area it's 23 degrees, it's gotta be what 18 degrees then for up there?

Meaning it won't take much... if you can maybe better off either getting the chainsaw, relocating the dish again, or add a 61.5 wing dish.

I had the same problem when I installed my 1000.2 dish myself. I could not get any signal for 129 and 110 and 119 came in great. I have so many trees in my yard, that I installed my dish in the only place I thought I would get a signal for 129. I had one big tree that was in front and way right of my dish and one big tree in front and way left. It was the one on the right. It was too close to my house anyway and now it works great on all three!

It's not that quite that low, about 21 degrees if I was using a single dish. Chainsaw unfortunatly is not an option, it is the neighbor's trees (old military housing, I am in half of a duplex, we are all packed in together here.) 61.5 is also tough because my house is blocking, it could be done but I would need to get a spare dish 300 with a dish pro lnb to hook up.

It looks more and more like my problem is the trees, but I will post some pictures here for others to see. Ignore the dish500, it isn't part of this setup, it is so my girlfriend can bring her bell expressvu receiver over and watch her toronto maple leaf games at my house :)

It doesn't seem the forum will let me post pictures or links yet, and I am at a loss on how to get around it! Everything I have tried doesn't work. Can anyone help me post some pictures?

Aha, attachments, that shoudl do the trick, sorry it was late last night and I had been up for over 20 hours.

Attachments

• IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0495.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0496.jpg
    IMG_0496.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0497.jpg
    IMG_0497.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0498.jpg
    IMG_0498.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0499.jpg
    IMG_0499.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_0501.jpg
    IMG_0501.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_0502.jpg
    IMG_0502.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 248
I was having serious 129 issues with a 1000.2 also. Ended up going back to a D500 with a D300 pointing at 61.5. Took care of everything.

If you can't get a look at 61.5, what about a separate 24" or so dish pointing to 129 and a D500 for 110/119?

I think it's the trees. What's that second dish you have? Does it have a DP Dual lnb or Legacy Lnb? Can it be relocated?

You could use that dish to aim for 129 if it has a DP Dual or DP Single.

I was having serious 129 issues with a 1000.2 also. Ended up going back to a D500 with a D300 pointing at 61.5. Took care of everything.

If you can't get a look at 61.5, what about a separate 24" or so dish pointing to 129 and a D500 for 110/119?

If I was going to go that route I would proably continue to use my 1000.2 for 119/110 because it is the only DPP lnb I have, and I only have one line running into my house to my vip722. The trouble is the only single dish I have is legacy, I would need to get a DP lnb. I always have that backup plan, but I would like to get my 1000.2 working.

I think it's the trees. What's that second dish you have? Does it have a DP Dual lnb or Legacy Lnb? Can it be relocated?

You could use that dish to aim for 129 if it has a DP Dual or DP Single.

Check out one of my above posts, I am pointing that dish500 at 82/91, my girlfriend brings over her bell expressvu receiver on the weekends so she can watch her hockey team play, she doesn't like to watch the detroit red wings with me :)

I guess I could relocate that one if I have to, it does have a DP twin that is compatable with my 1000.2, but I would need to set her up with something. I guess it is general consensus that the trees are an issue?

Well in more than a month since I last posted here I still have not found a solution. I have tried pointing a wing dish at both 61.5 and 129, but I can't get a good clear shot at either bird. With the ridiculous amount of snow we have got here so far this year I won't be able to drive a new pole until spring. My question is though, with the upcoming launch and activation of the new 129 satellite, Ceil-2, will this provide a stonger signal that allows my dish to receive it even though a few trees? Or am I asking for too much?

Well in more than a month since I last posted here I still have not found a solution. I have tried pointing a wing dish at both 61.5 and 129, but I can't get a good clear shot at either bird. With the ridiculous amount of snow we have got here so far this year I won't be able to drive a new pole until spring. My question is though, with the upcoming launch and activation of the new 129 satellite, Ceil-2, will this provide a stonger signal that allows my dish to receive it even though a few trees? Or am I asking for too much?

Asking too much...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)