trouble tuning in 83*

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cruzin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
michigan
hello, looking for information and help on tuning i sat 83 amc9. I believe I have the az and elev very close. I wonder if I have my receiver settings are ok.
I have 4 transponders I have programed in, I have 2 coolsats hooked up to a standard dual linear lnb and I am not getting anywhere. I have them set up such.
lnb on, standard, 10750, everything else off. for both receivers and have one next to me in the lawn, they beep a different sound when you get on the sat so you know when you hit it.
I have these 4 transponders plugged into them and have tried them all.
1. 11735 with 4.430, h 2. 12140, 30000, v 3. 12160, 30000, h 4. 11730, 4444, h.
do these look proper? any suggestions appreciated. thanks

Did you skew the LNB?
What Dish size?
To confirm the LNB L.O. Freq, there should be a sticker on the LNB.

When pointing the Dish, you Must have an active TP selected in the Setup menu:
TP Freq: 12160
Polarity: H
Scan Rate: 30000

Its a 1.2 dish, skew to 2.5 clockwise as looking from the front. its a 10750 standard linear dual lnb. I read where others were using other transponder freqs and I have plugged some of them in as well. still trying.

Did you skew the LNB?
What Dish size?
To confirm the LNB L.O. Freq, there should be a sticker on the LNB.

When pointing the Dish, you Must have an active TP selected in the Setup menu:
TP Freq: 12160
Polarity: H
Scan Rate: 30000

Last edited:
I had some time time yesterday and found 83° W for the first time. The 12160 H 30000 TP is what I used to find it. The RTN feeds are barely watchable on both the Visionsat and the Mercury II. Also found 89°W too!

Well I gave up for the night. I did not see any sats at all. I am almost to the point I may put a circular lnb on it and try to find 81 and then move west 2 degrees.
the lnb is known good. I had it on my other dish the other day and was getting a 94 or 97 from sat 97* set up with 10750. The dish is a 48x52 fiberglass muzak dish like the one next to it that sits on 97. I have both on stationary poles, the elevation adjustment is real accurate as it is a 1/2 long bolt with 2 nuts that you use to adjust the elevation.
I had my brother come down with a better compass and give me a second opinion on where the sat should be. I have a longitude of 85 and at Sadoun satellite look at angle it tells me that sat 83 is at 182.7 from me with elevation of 39.9 I used a electronic level and laid it from the lower support to center of the dish on my muzak dish on sat 97 and took a angle reading then subtracted 1.4 degrees because the elevation of 83 is 38.5 the dishes are both identical and setting next to each other so I figure taking the elevation from one and applying it to the other would be accurate. I am going to look more at my receiver set up and go at it again tomorrow. thanks for the help folks.
Never seen such a active forum really glad I found it.
You should have no problem with a 1.2.
Have you gotten any Sats, 83 is not the easiest for the first time?

question about your 12160.. do you have any apid or pid or any thing other that 12160 h 30000 plugged in? I only have what you wrote.
QUOTE=Larobpra;1805995]I had some time time yesterday and found 83° W for the first time. The 12160 H 30000 TP is what I used to find it. The RTN feeds are barely watchable on both the Visionsat and the Mercury II. Also found 89°W too![/QUOTE]

12140 V 30000 and 12160 H 30000 are data transponders so no AID, VID or PID

What's interesting is that my skew for peak Q is 40 and not 32 like dishpointer.com says.
Went from a shaky 54Q to a solid 67Q on a Geosatpro 1.2m

question about your 12160.. do you have any apid or pid or any thing other that 12160 h 30000 plugged in? I only have what you wrote.
QUOTE=Larobpra;1805995]I had some time time yesterday and found 83° W for the first time. The 12160 H 30000 TP is what I used to find it. The RTN feeds are barely watchable on both the Visionsat and the Mercury II. Also found 89°W too!
I entered the TP into the menu and then watched the signal meter while adjusting the dish until I found it. I then entered the RTN TP info and did a TP scan to find them as they wouldn't blind scan in - as many others here have also reported.

I use 4430 as symbol rate and have no issues. When I do a detail blind scan on the Coolsat 5000 it logs the channels at that s/r too

I will set up on both the data channels till I get it. My lnb does not have any skew marks but the cap that clamps down over it has marks every 5 degrees and so I adjusted it as close to -2.3 degrees as possible. thanks for all the suggestions.

I will set up on both the data channels till I get it. My lnb does not have any skew marks but the cap that clamps down over it has marks every 5 degrees and so I adjusted it as close to -2.3 degrees as possible. thanks for all the suggestions.
I question the "every 5 degrees" That would be a Fine scale.
If 12 0'clock is Zero, 3 and 9 are 90, each Minute is 6 degrees.

tomorrow I will take a picture of the skew. I worked on it several hours today without tuning in. I did get close to something. I borrowed a sat finder from my brother and there is something out there! I had a small portable tv out with me and got up into the 30s quality on the short coax coming off one of the ports of the lnb. Funny thing on the same transponder with same settings on 2 receivers of the same type I had 30% quality on the one out at the dish and 3-5% quality on the one in the house. I do not know what the difference is but quite a difference. I wonder if the signal finder in the loop before the receiver changed the quality of the one out side. I left it on the strongest spot I found and I may put a dss lnb on it in the morning and see if Im not looking at 81 sat.
On the skew the markings on the lnb holder top have stamped in them numbers. 5,10,15,and 20 I think. To get mine 2.3 I went about half way to the 5. Clockwise as looking at it from the front of the dish.
I question the "every 5 degrees" That would be a Fine scale.
If 12 0'clock is Zero, 3 and 9 are 90, each Minute is 6 degrees.

Finally

I finally got it tuned in on a stationary 1.2 dish that I may in the future motorize. I had a tv out there and satellite finder and tried 4 lnbs till I got it tuned in. I tried and tried with boughten lnbs, I tried a linear dual that I know works, I tried a boughten universal that I know works, I tried a dss to find 81 bird and I was right on my pointing and elevation. I figured out from elevation that it should be from Sadoun sat find program that the elevation should be 1.4 higher than my dish on sat 97 which I set at starting point. I tried and tried till I thought as a last resort I would put the commercial lnb on the dish that was on it when I pulled it down on a roof. It is a muzak dish. I do not know what type lnb it is but it works great. I have both horz and vert channels working with a 87% quality on both RTN channels. See pictures below.Thanks for bearing with me through this set up and thanks for input from all.
Next question can I put a Diseqc switch in front of a zinwell 6x8? So that I can go to my sat 83 on one port and go to my zinwell on another port to access my other muzak dish/

Attachments

• PICT0041.JPG
    PICT0041.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 114
  • PICT0042.JPG
    PICT0042.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 128
  • PICT0043.JPG
    PICT0043.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 123
  • PICT0044.JPG
    PICT0044.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 123
The diseqc would need to be between the receiver and the 6x8

receiver----diseqc------multiswitch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)