trouble viewing all forums with IE8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good answer. No one can reasonably expect software to run on all older versions of browsers, operating systems, etc. A line has to be drawn somewhere....
The only line that needs to be drawn is the one below which we will not tolerate divergence from the established standards. If Microsoft continues to produce software that doesn't work according to the long-established rules, we need to stop using their products. CSS was introduced in 1995 and an RFC was established in 1998 but Microsoft didn't see fit to actively support the most rudimentary CSS until 2001 and they continued to scramble hard to catch up until 2007.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh781508(v=vs.85).aspx

The whole issue of browser compatibility came up when Microsoft released browsers and website creation tools that worked based on proprietary Microsoft technology (remember Front Page Extensions???). While the rest of the world was working on CSS and HTML4, Microsoft was polluting the Internet with their famously transient home grown ideas.

People shouldn't have to upgrade their operating systems to use the latest in WWW technology as long as the underlying technology is there. That Microsoft forces your hand by not allowing installation of newer products is just sad.

For those who are baffled by the numbers of IE8 users, there's a pretty strong reason: out of those that use IE, 38.8% of them are still using IE8.

http://marketshare.hitslink.com/browser-market-share.aspx?qprid=2&qpcustomd=0

Reactions: DJdish
People here are generally "technical" in nature. They often don't realize that a whole bunch of computer users out there don't upgrade their software (unless it's forced on them). I can confidently say this based on the number of PCs I've had to clean or decontaminate that were 3+ years old and "yeah, I have an anti-virus program" on them -- when that program was the 3-month trial that it came with and hasn't worked (without updates, their value is greatly diminished) 2-3/4+ years. Even fewer are aware of alternative browsers like Firefox or Chrome.

Reactions: DWS44
Keep current. There is a reason they issue new versions. IE 11 is current and works fine.
That's great and all. Problem is that several of us work in enviornments that are locked down. It is not possible to "keep current" until the company decides to do so.

That's great and all. Problem is that several of us work in enviornments that are locked down. It is not possible to "keep current" until the company decides to do so.
Then the question becomes whether or not you should be playing here while you're at work. ;)

Submit this website as not compatible with whatever version of browser you're using and I'm sure if it has a legitimate business value, it will help them move towards a more current version. Doesn't have to be the latest either, just newer.

Submit this website as not compatible with whatever version of browser you're using and I'm sure if it has a legitimate business value, it will help them move towards a more current version. Doesn't have to be the latest either, just newer.
While the theory seems sound, SaaS can be very persnickety about the browser version it uses and making a transition isn't ever seamless; especially when it involves moving from something that was written for one platform and you have to port it to another platform like C++ to .NET (or even .NET 2.0 to .NET 4.0).

I said, "it will help". They have to weigh all of their options, look at the time/cost required to either test or upgrade any systems or tools that are browser-based, and so on. They still may decide "no" in the end too.

Same reason I quit using IE years ago.
With my W7 PC I use IE11 with DoNotTrackMe software for most sites including here. It works well here and seems to be a bit faster than Chrome. I use Chrome with adblockers for video sites like YouTube. Can't use IE11 with my Vista PC so it runs happily just with Chrome. I have a third PC with W7 I mainly use for offline programs. Some of these programs are huge resource hogs, but rarely do I go online or even have it connected for internet use because of security reasons. When I do it is mainly for updates. I understand why some folks avoid IE like the plague that can't or haven't recently tried IE11 and there are no really good adblockers for it, but it is extremely fast and plays nice with all the sites I visit.

Well now I can get to the top forums too. The bar that says Home Forums Members... is now high enough on the page to not block out those forums. I don't know what changed, but thanks.

Edit, I think it may be because of the big popup talking about the Amazon contest, but I'm not sure. Either way it is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)