Trouble with my reception, is it my antenna?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tirade

Original poster
Sep 30, 2008
Zip code is 35811

I can get 19.1, 31.1, 54.1 and 25.1

48.1 (The main station I watch) does not come in at all and if I turn the antenna to pick it up, some of the other channels drop out.

There isnt a wide degree of arc, but antennaweb does show yellow/red for the above channels and purple for the one Im having trouble with. My distance from all channels is under 6 miles. DirecTV installed an antenna for me 3 years ago. Its a winegard model that looks like an airplane fin. Its mounted to the pole that my dish is on (located directly under my dish) which is on top of my house (roughly 15ft in the air).

Is there some sort of booster I can buy or is a new antenna going to be required? Id prefer something similar in shape/size to what I have now so that I can mount it in the same place as the old one.

Thanks for the help!

Sounds like a GS1100(batwing) antenna TV fool shows you to be under 6 miles and a 2-3 degree angle difference for broadcast locations. Your close location would suggest multipath problems where reflected signals destroy the digital signals. As close as you are you might try a set of rabbit ears.

the cm 4228 is so highly rated- why would anyone use anything else?????
The 4228 is an excellent antenna; in the right environment. "Tirade" is too close to the stations for this type of antenna. The 4228 does not tolerate multipath well; and at 6 miles; he is a prime candidate for multipath issues. The 4228 is an excellent antenna for fringe areas.

The Antennas Direct 43XG or the Radio Shack U-75 would be a good choice since he will only have UHF stations to deal with.

Last edited:
the cm 4228 is so highly rated- why would anyone use anything else?????

Here are five reasons:

The 4228 is a UHF only antenna. Many people need VHF reception.

Some of the purported VHF abilities of the 4228 are overblown.

The 4228 has a narrow pattern. Many people need reception from a wider angle.

The 4228 is most useful in fringe reception areas. More people live in suburban areas.

Those with extreme reception difficulties have had slightly better experience with the XG91.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)