Troubleshooting Sound Dropouts

j.vo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2004
Could the forums please help me to troubleshoot an issue I am having with sound. My 922/Dish 1000 is connected to an Onkyo receiver via HDMI. When watching a satellite channel, the digital audio stream will cut out for a second or two. This occurs on both live broadcasts, and DVR if the program is recorded. It is reproducible on DVR when going back and replaying. This sounds like some sort of interference/signal dropout/stream errors. I never have any artifacting or problem with the picture, only audio.

I connected the HDMI straight in to the tv and played back a recording with the issue. The TV audio did not drop, but there was static popping at the same location. It appears the Onkyo suppresses the audio, whereas the TV plays it the best it can.

Dish exchanged the 922 a few weeks ago and the issue still persists. So, either it is a cable, signal, or LNB problem. The 922 is powered through a belkin home theater surge protector and I think it has the cable going through it too. I am going to power straight to the wall and make sure the cable goes straight into the receiver.

I am noticing this on Showtime HD mostly, but HBO, FOX Denver, and others. I don't watch very much TV. I can post signal strengths. Showtime appears to be on 119 transponder 6. My signal on that transponder is 77-78.

This is rather annoying and I am finally fed up to act.

Thanks!

J.Vo

They said my received needed to be replaced and charged me a $15.00 fee. Why would they do that with a known software issue?

I've just started noticing this issue on our system, particularly when watching HBO. We got rid of Uverse for the same reason (audio dropouts when using a receiver). I'm avoiding even contacting Dish because I'm sure they'll be completely unhelpful and probably won't acknowledge the issue.

It sounds to me like it might be an HDMI problem(I have run into similar issues). Try changing HDMI cables/HDMI inputs on the TV. You can eliminate the HDMI as the cause of the problem if you hook up your reciever through the Component Video input on your set. If the problem still persists it may be a number of other things. DPP Separator, the satellite feed from the LNB, bad barrel connectors/ground blocks.

It sounds to me like it might be an HDMI problem(I have run into similar issues). Try changing HDMI cables/HDMI inputs on the TV. You can eliminate the HDMI as the cause of the problem if you hook up your reciever through the Component Video input on your set. If the problem still persists it may be a number of other things. DPP Separator, the satellite feed from the LNB, bad barrel connectors/ground blocks.
It isn't an HDMI problem it is a bug as there are many that have the issue. Look at the thread in dwarren2's post (#4).

I'm having the identical problem with my Onkyo receiver and 622, mostly on HBO's HD programming. And if I switch to component from HDMI, the video continues seamlessly, but the audio cuts out for a few seconds. I have partially remedied this problem with the lame solution of using closed-caption, to follow the movie's dialogue, but that is unsatisfactory, for sure. I betcha it's Dish's signal interruption of the audio?

I am in Colorado, I guess in Western arc. (Denver)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts