True HD and DTS HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

HD#1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2007
Los Angeles
Since I have both HD DVD and Blu Ray, is buying a new reciever that supports True HD and Dts HD worth it? I currently own a Yamaha 6.1 reciever that outputs 110 watts per channel.

A lot really depends on the players you have. Do your players bitstream advanced audio codec to a capable receiver for decoding? No BD player or HD DVD player will internally decode DTS Master. The closest is the Panasonic BD10 which will do DTS HD HR.

S~

A lot really depends on the players you have. Do your players bitstream advanced audio codec to a capable receiver for decoding? No BD player or HD DVD player will internally decode DTS Master. The closest is the Panasonic BD10 which will do DTS HD HR.

S~
The Samsung 1400 will do DTS HD HR also.

I would say get a new reciever. Are you going to hook the PS3 to it or the Sony s300? I believe the PS3 will not send the bitstream audio for the reciever to process. But, it will decode it internaly and send it PCM to the reciever. I'm not sure about the Sony S300.

I would say since only 1 of your players have analog outs for each channel that upgrading to a receiver with HDMI switching and capable of handling Multi-channel PCM from the receiver would be your cheapest option. Setup players to do the decoding and output PCM streams to the receivers over HDMI.

Sony STR-DG810, Harmon Kardon AVR-247 and similar. If you really want to see the TrueHD or DTS-MA lights come one, I believe the onkyo TX-SR605 is your best option. But like others have said, not all players bitstream the HBR codecs out so the lights (trueHD etc) will never come on with players like the PS3
Careful of some receivers like the Sony STR-DG710 which has HDMI and can process the audio, but reportedly cannot handle more then 2 channel PCM.

Well, yeah, if you want to hook all 3 up then yes the 705. I was thinking an either/or thing with the PS3 and 300 player.

If you want all 3 and are now not set on seeing the pretty TrueHD light, then the STR-DG810 has 3 HDMI inputs also.

Also, keep in mind the PS3 does not, nor do I think it every will, bitstream the HBR codecs. It will only convert them internally to PCM for output over HDMI. Also, it does not currently do DTS-MA internally, but it is rumored to be coming

Well, yeah, if you want to hook all 3 up then yes the 705. I was thinking an either/or thing with the PS3 and 300 player.

If you want all 3 and are now not set on seeing the pretty TrueHD light, then the STR-DG810 has 3 HDMI inputs also.

Also, keep in mind the PS3 does not, nor do I think it every will, bitstream the HBR codecs. It will only convert them internally to PCM for output over HDMI. Also, it does not currently do DTS-MA internally, but it is rumored to be coming
I was also including his direct TV box. He probably has more the one HDMI input on his TV. Yeah, get the 605.

Maybe I am partially deaf, But when audio gets up past 5.1 I really cannot tell the difference.

I know there are a ton of audiophiles out there that can hear the difference between 5 pins (that look the same) dropping on a table, but for me Sound is not a top priority. :D

he he, But thats just me. Not saying it's the same for you.

Honestly, I have a hard time past 5.1 in hearing all 7.1 (since they are usually matrixed and not true 7.1), but I can definately tell the difference with the new TrueHD and DD+ tracks. Heck even BD common 5.1 uncompressed PCM tracks. All 3 are (to me) noticeably better than plain old DD or DTS (even DTS EX).

To me the price of a receiver upgrade to HDMI to get the new HBR codecs is worth it. On Amazon, the STR-DG810 is less than $280 shipped.

Wow very confusing stuff, just want the best possible option thanks for your advices I am thinking about the Onkyos since I have heard a lot of good things about it.

I went with the Onkyo 605 just going to put HD A30 and Sony BDP-S300, will use optical for PS3 and Directv. Thank for all your advices

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts