True South C Band Satellite

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Well I have the next 5 days off from work, so I am going to try getting my C Band working again..

Its been a few years since I went out and did everything from scratch so I can't remember what my True South C Band Satellite is...

I am in Newington, Connecticut. Zip Code 06111.

Lets hope I can get it, as if I can't I may take it down... and I dont want to take it down. I want all the new audio channels. :D

Your true south bird is 72W. However, there is nothing on it currently.
You may have to start with 83W, and work it out from there.

Hint to simplify a re-aim. If you are receiving any satellites near the top of the arc, move between two satellites and take note of how many counts per degree of movement. This will be helpful in getting your dish aligned with true south as your closest active satellite is 9 degrees west of the top of the arc. Example: if there are 10 counts per degree, drive the motor approximately 90 clicks west of the mount center (72w) and try to lock 83w.

Another way to determine mount aiming at true south is to calculate solar noon on a sun positioning calculator and align the feedhorn shadow with the vertical dish axis when the dish mount is centered. :)

Reactions: olliec420 and k.r.
There are viewable c band signals on 78w (3885 V 23000). I get them fine here in Central PA. Don't know if the footprint extends to Connecticut but worth mentioning though... :)

Reactions: hank123
Don't confuse clock noon with solar noon. The time that the sun is at solar noon (apex of the arc -true noon) for your location will not be clock noon. Sun position calculators calculate solar position in UTC.

Reactions: KE4EST
There are viewable c band signals on 78w (3885 V 23000). I get them fine here in Central PA. Don't know if the footprint extends to Connecticut but worth mentioning though... :)

FTA4PA,

Scott should be able to get 78W in Newington.
I can get it here on Cape Cod and it is my preferred southern satellite for aligning. However, for the time being, I'm using 83W until I can get the time to fine tune.

John

Reactions: FTA4PA
well I live in upstate SC and put in a 10ft mesh dish... it's been nothing but a nightmare. I paid a guy 300 bucks for help. it's in the ground and wire is ran but iv only found a satellite or two and the signals are weak. I have a openbox z5 and a probroadband combo cku feed.. I would gladly pay someone who knows what they are doing and peak this thing for me. I'm about ready to bulldoze it over.

well I live in upstate SC and put in a 10ft mesh dish... it's been nothing but a nightmare. I paid a guy 300 bucks for help. it's in the ground and wire is ran but iv only found a satellite or two and the signals are weak. I have a openbox z5 and a probroadband combo cku feed.. I would gladly pay someone who knows what they are doing and peak this thing for me. I'm about ready to bulldoze it over.

Conway,

I know its frustrating...believe me, many of us here have had that same feeling at times.
Step back from your dish project for a few days, take a deep breath and start posting questions here.
The experts here who've helped me, can help you also.
The fact that you are getting any signals at all, is a good sign.

John

thanks.. I have to push the lnb way down in the feedhorn to get signals.. that tells me the alignment is off but I can't figure out how much. 83 w is near my zenith satellite. haven't found it yet.. I did find 89 w though

Hang in there Conway, you will get it. Just ask lots of questions. Start you a new thread when you are ready to tackle it again and we will see if we can get you receiving more signals. :)

thanks.. I have to push the lnb way down in the feedhorn to get signals.. that tells me the alignment is off but I can't figure out how much. 83 w is near my zenith satellite. haven't found it yet.. I did find 89 w though
Just a quick thought,sounds like the focal distance(distance from the dish surface to the feedhorn) is not set correctly.

i have been messing with this thing today.. boy what a head ache.. all my measurement for focal length comes up correct for my dish as far as I can tell. I have been calling companies all day to see if someone can come and aim this thing.. nobody messes with these things

worked with is some more today. paid a company 150 thinking they could do.. I'm in worse shape than when I started.. maybe I need to look for my bulldozer now.. .................:what:oldno

well I have been working more on this on my own by reading and learning.. good news is I got all my angles correct and I am tracking the arc with very good signals. right now I am watching star trek on the heroes and icons on 101 w.. I can't pull in me tv for some reason.. I swear I think its gone.. I get everything else from that satellite. Ku band is even working well.

Conway,

The FTA hobby is one of frustration and satisfaction.
Glad to read that your frustration has now given way to satisfaction.
Congrats.

John

Reactions: FTA4PA
I told you, you would get it Conway!!!! Hate to hear you had to waste money on people that didn't know what they were doing. Truth is most don't anymore. Tracking a C-Band dish is far different that putting in a dish for say DISH Network or Directv. They think they can do it, but nope. What they should have done was be honest and say, sorry man I just can't figure this out, no charge.
Best you did it anyway, this will make it more enjoyable in the end and you can service as needed, instead of calling someone every so often and dropping more money.
Welcome to the hobby!!! :)

Reactions: bpalone and FTA4PA
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)