Truth about PS3 game installs. (not negitive news, just why it is done)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Interesting read. It seems odd to me though as to why they feel the need to put everything on Blu-Ray when it doesn't seem to need it. Clearly it isn't a file resource issue since the 360 plays the DVD versions and they don't suffer in terms of quality (and some would argue 360 quality is even better.) Just because you CAN use the Blu Ray capacity doesn't mean you SHOULD. There were a number of PS2 games that were made that were not DVD-Rom based, so why can't they also keep some games DVD based for PS3?

In any case this stuff doesn't affect me until I get my MGS4 PS3 Bundle.

Interesting read. It seems odd to me though as to why they feel the need to put everything on Blu-Ray when it doesn't seem to need it. Clearly it isn't a file resource issue since the 360 plays the DVD versions and they don't suffer in terms of quality (and some would argue 360 quality is even better.) Just because you CAN use the Blu Ray capacity doesn't mean you SHOULD. There were a number of PS2 games that were made that were not DVD-Rom based, so why can't they also keep some games DVD based for PS3?

In any case this stuff doesn't affect me until I get my MGS4 PS3 Bundle.

Putting it on BD when it doesn't need to also makes it so that there is much more need generated for the BD media, lowering costs in the process, as the format grows and millions of the media are consumed for each game release. Probably a much bigger deal a year or so ago.

From the article:
"...By nature, the outer and inner parts of a disc move at different speeds while a disc is spinning, regardless of format (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, HD-DVD, etc.). While DVD drives can read data at those differing speeds, Blu-ray reads at one speed. ..."

I'll grant him that he is talking about differing linear velocities (speeds), which do vary, and not angular velocity, which doesn't (but could in theory- might have been a system that did this).

Blu-ray reading at one speed? As in, can't read "faster" as it spirals out to the outer edge? Gee, then what does it do, skip around 2 or 3 times, trying to read the same data? Or slow down the disc rotation?

Anybody know what he was really trying to say, or was he just putting out a crock?

From the article:
"...By nature, the outer and inner parts of a disc move at different speeds while a disc is spinning, regardless of format (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, HD-DVD, etc.). While DVD drives can read data at those differing speeds, Blu-ray reads at one speed. ..."

I'll grant him that he is talking about differing linear velocities (speeds), which do vary, and not angular velocity, which doesn't (but could in theory- might have been a system that did this).

Blu-ray reading at one speed? As in, can't read "faster" as it spirals out to the outer edge? Gee, then what does it do, skip around 2 or 3 times, trying to read the same data? Or slow down the disc rotation?

Anybody know what he was really trying to say, or was he just putting out a crock?

The drive for the PS3 only reads BD at one speed. Not sure if that is Constant Linear velocity or Constant Angular velocity. Of course that speed is faster then DVD (more bits per second). It is more slowed down by seek time. Early programmers mentioned this as a problem, perhaps they do have to slow down the RPM of the drive. Some decided to move some data via an install, others move some dynamically, and others just wait. Many new games have done whatever they do so seemlessly that little or no delay exists anywhere after the game starts.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts