Trying to figure out tailgating set up and no signal

rainman353

Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
Savannah, GA
I tried yesterday to see if I could get a signal for tailgating with a second dish that will be used at the tailgate. The dish is a Dish 500 looking for 110 and 119 and a vip221k receiver. I used the install to get the right elevation and skew and was using a compass to point the dish to the right azimuth. I could never get a signal to get higher than 10 on the screen nor would any moving fix the signal. I did get it to jump up to 50 once and then it went right away.

I was attempting this on the back side of the house which has a relatively clear view of the sky. I'm wondering if the signal issue is the fact that the signal might not have been completely clear or is there a compatibility issue with the dish and receiver.

The last thing I am wondering is do you have to call dish to get approval to use a separate dish for this type of set up.

Thanks for the help

Technically, tailgating is prohibited so I would not recommend that you ask DISH Network about it.

What is your Dish 500 mounted on? If the mast isn't plumb, none of the numbers will work without major experimentation.

Did you do a check switch to alert your receiver to the new dish configuration (you'll need to do this when you return the receiver to your home setup as well)?

what type of lnb are you using? (legacy, dishpro, dishpro plus) it makes a difference depending what your rec is.
211k or 222k? never heard of a 221k

It's a dish pro LNB and a 211k receiver. Sorry just realized it was a typo. As for the dish it is on a tripod that I leveled before putting the dish on. The dish may not have the exact elevation (maybe of by a degree or 2) because of how it sits on the tripod but it should barely be off. I was thinking that it would at least pull a weak signal as long as the elevation was close if the direction and skew were right.

Two degrees may be out of range.

I don't understand how "how it sits on the tripod" impacts your aim. If you don't have it fairly tight (so it won't wiggle but you can still turn it), you're wasting your time as it will almost certainly go away when you tighten it.

Remember that you're aiming at something that is well over 24,000 miles away. It takes practice.

Very good point, harshness. When I'm training new installers, this a mistake almost all of them make. They come to me and say they can't get a signal. I'll look at the mast (or pole) and see the collar flopping around and say, Did you snug it up? BING! The light goes on and back up the ladder they go...

So I've realized that I definitely need to get the dish plum. I think I've figured out my issue, the tripod mast has an OD of 2 inches and I'm pretty sure the mast for the dish is 1 and 5/8 inches. I've been trying to use make shims to hold the dish level but probably need some sort of grommet or o ring. Does anyone know of a good product or an easy solution for this?

The solution would be to get the correct tripod.

Failing that, I'd recommend you go to a muffler shop and have them weld in a piece of 1-5/8" steel tubing (or glue it in in the odd event that your tripod isn't made of steel). Paint it up with some self-priming paint and get down to business practicing your aiming.

Always check plumb as opposed to measuring whether the end of the tube is level. The dish doesn't grip the top of the tube; it grips the sides.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)