trying to get a signal please help? :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tray-sat

Original poster
Mar 20, 2015
United States
Hello and good AM, I have a swim sl5k4nr0 5LNB (uses 4lines on the LNB) and swim dish. I bought a 21volt power inverter and I have a HR-24 reciever I am just trying to use this one receiver on this setup do I need a multiswitch ... do I need to use all four lines with just one receiver ... trying to get a signal ... I just can not seem to get a signal to the receiver any help would be a big thank you :)

That LNB is not an SWM one, an SWM LNB only uses one line not four. So with four lines, you need to connect a line to each of the tuners on the HR24. In addition, you need two b-band converters (BBCs) which you can get from DirecTV free of charge if you call. You don't need a power inserter with a non-SWM LNB.
Where did the HR24 come from? If it was previously on an SWM setup, you will need to change the satellite setting to "multiswitch" (the multiswitch is inside the LNB assembly, you don't need a separate one) before you select the dish type.

WELCOME to Satelliteguys!

If you stay with your current LNB you need two wires to the receiver and two BBCs, which are cheap online or free from DirecTV. DO NOT connect that power inserter, if you already have you may have damaged the LNB, I'm not sure if giving it too much power will, perhaps an installer here can answer that. Note if you only want to use one tuner (view one thing or record one thing, you could run just one wire and set the receiver to single tuner mode).

If you want SWM, you would need an SL3S or SL5S LNB (note the S after the number indicates SWM LNB). Then you would use the power inserter, would not use any BBCs, and would only need to run one line to the receiver.

DO NOT connect that power inserter, if you already have you may have damaged the LNB, I'm not sure if giving it too much power will, perhaps an installer here can answer that.

Customer service ships out power inserters all the time to fix 771 issues with non swm setups. Shouldn't hurt it if it was connected.

Reactions: jcrandall
yes, its a HR-24-100 receiver double checked. so my best bet is to buy a single line 5lnb and that should work??
No, you don't need to do that. Just get two BBCs and you will be good to go.

Customer service ships out power inserters all the time to fix 771 issues with non swm setups. Shouldn't hurt it if it was connected.
As you say, connecting a PI by accident won't damage the LNB.

when texas says select multiswitch, when going through the repeat satellite setup, you'll want to select #4 slimline-5 dish type, and switch type multiswitch. if you did change over to swim you'd use option (18?) and swim.

Not quite. If the receiver was previously connected to SWM, you need to select Multiswitch FIRST and only then will the dish type be selectable.

hello and good day I got the new equiment and now instead of saying can not detect swm it says do not install b band converters I have my settings at 18 swm and dual for tuners since it is a HR-24 reciever is that right? also, their are a lot of trees and I can not get a signal .... how far back do I need to go to clear the trees is their a rule of thumb? and will the signal make a high pitch noise like it use to do on the old single round lnb recievers any help would be useful... thanks

hello and good day I got the new equiment and now instead of saying can not detect swm it says do not install b band converters I have my settings at 18 swm and dual for tuners since it is a HR-24 reciever is that right? also, their are a lot of trees and I can not get a signal .... how far back do I need to go to clear the trees is their a rule of thumb? and will the signal make a high pitch noise like it use to do on the old single round lnb recievers any help would be useful... thanks
that settings isn't correct for a non swm lnb, you need to choose 5 lnb and multiswitch, and you will need to install b-band converters, also for some reason DVR's don't make the loud tone when pointing the dish.

Let's go back over this.
Did you buy an SWM LNB (only one output)?
If so your settings need to be SWM 5LNb and dual tuner.
Have you ever aligned one of these dishes before? if you use dishpointer.com you can enter your exct location and it will show you where the line of sight is for the various satellites. If you bought a 5LNB you will need line of sight to 99, 101, 103 and 119. Trees will be a big problem.

hey texasbrit tried it again today still could not get a singal so I connect the new one line swm 5s LNB to my dish and perfect 99 signal i even tried switching out the 21v power converter so all the equiment is working fine the only thing is the i pulled off a old 4line lnb off and replaced it with the new 5s lnc swm single line i can not get a signal i never aligned one of these i did about 12 of the older smaller round models any tips or suggestions? i even went behind the tree line to a open view of the sky line and nothing when i unplus power converter it says swm not detected when i connect it says do not install b band coverters. any help ? plz thanks God bless

With a swm lnb (one output) you need the power inserter and you don't use the b band converters. If you have a smartphone you can download an app called AR Satellite. It will give you a good idea where the satellites are positioned in the sky.

First, if you are using an SWM LNB with single line you MUST use the power inserter and do NOT use the BBCs. Don't even be tempted, it won't work! Then you need to use correct alignment procedure for the slimline dish. You can't just point the dish vaguely in the correct direction and hopre to get signals.
Go to dishpointer.com and get the correct pointing coordinates for the slimline dish for your location. Make sure the dish mouting pole is plumb vertical. If it isn't you will have a lot of problems getting correct alignment. Make sure azimuth, elevation and tilt/skew are set to those coordinates.The key here is that the dish needs to be pointed at the 101 satellite to start with, it's a waste of time looking at the other signals until you have good 101 signals, so set your receiver to show all the 101 transponders. . Move the dish to the left about 5 degrees in azimuth from the dishpointer coordinates and then slowly move to the right, watch the 101 signals come in. 101 live transponders will be all 32 transponders. A few will be low or even zero because they are spotbeams pointed at other cities, but a cortrectly aligned dish will have most TPs in the high 90s or even 100. For example, I just checked mine here in DFW and I have 13 TPs at 100, and my lowest non-spotbeam TP is 96. If you see a specific pattern like only TPs 22-32 you are pointed at 119 instead of 101.
Once you get 101 signals, adjust the dish in azimuth and elevation until your 101 signals are (mostly) at least in the high 90s. If they are not, then unless you have something blocking the line of sight to the satellite your dish is NOT correctly aligned and it is a waste of time looking at 99/103.
So now if you have decent 101 signals (and 80s is NOT decent) look at 119, since you have a 5LNB dish. 119 should show some transponders in the high 90s or 100 - again, here in DFW I show 96-100 on all the non-spotbeam transponders (just like 101, 119 carries a few spotbeams). If 119 has lower signals, you might be able to improve them by a small adjustment in elevation, but don't screw up 101. Also you don't tell me where you are located - if you are in the East then 119 is the lowest satellite on the horizon and is more likely to be affected by obstacles like trees. But 119 only carries ethnic channels and a few religious/music channels so that might not be a concern.
Let's assume you now have decent 101/119 signals. Now look at 99c, 103ca and 103cb. All the TPs should be in the high 80s to mid 90s. If they are not, small adjustments in the azimuth and elevation fine-tune controls should bring them up to spec. Do NOT worry about 99s and 103s. Thos are ALL spotbeam transponders and so it's quite normal to see low or zero signals on most of the TPs. In some parts of the country, all the signals on 99s or 103s could be zero.
there are several youtube videos which might help you if your first attempts at this aren't successful.

There is a technique for getting peaked on 101/119 called "dithering" but I am hoping you can get there without it.

All of this might seem very complicated but once you have done it a few times it will seem easy. Many professional installers will tell you you need a meter to get this dish aligned but I have aligned slimline dishes many times using only a receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts