Trying to get a straight answer

blitzen

Original poster
Jun 13, 2024
Oregon
I'm not a techie type so please don't get too technical with me. I am using the 722 receiver and use tv1 and tv2 mostly to record programs to watch later. Dish customer service is trying to get me to upgrade to the Hopper. They told me that if I wish to use more than one tv I need a Joey for each additional tv. Here's where it gets confusing: I had a Dish tech out the other day (different issue) and he said that, as long as I was ok with only one channel being played on all tvs, there was no need for Joeys. I understand that if I am watching program 1 and wife wants program 2 in another room, we need to have a Joey. But what if we are both happy with program 1 but want to watch it in different rooms? Tech told me that definitely is do-able and no need for Joeys.
Appreciate an answer from someone who knows (not just an opinion).

I'm not a techie type so please don't get too technical with me. I am using the 722 receiver and use tv1 and tv2 mostly to record programs to watch later. Dish customer service is trying to get me to upgrade to the Hopper. They told me that if I wish to use more than one tv I need a Joey for each additional tv. Here's where it gets confusing: I had a Dish tech out the other day (different issue) and he said that, as long as I was ok with only one channel being played on all tvs, there was no need for Joeys. I understand that if I am watching program 1 and wife wants program 2 in another room, we need to have a Joey. But what if we are both happy with program 1 but want to watch it in different rooms? Tech told me that definitely is do-able and no need for Joeys.
You can do that with any receiver, just split to output signal from the receiver. Both TV 's will be displaying whatever is coming out of the receiver. Now the 722k is dual output receiver you can have 2 TV's connected and watch different channels, programs.
There is no need for a Hopper & a Joey. You could get a Hopper and if a streaming device you could use the Dish anywhere app on it to stream from your Hopper to your other TV, without paying for the extra cost of a Joey.

If the cable feeding tv2 is in the same location as tv1 then you can add an rf modulator to feed signal to other tvs. However if the cable splits off elsewhere then you'd have to run another cable which a tech would normally charge for. But for $7/mo it's worth having the ability to change channels seperate using its own remote and you'll get HD

If the cable feeding tv2 is in the same location as tv1 then you can add an rf modulator to feed signal to other tvs. However if the cable splits off elsewhere then you'd have to run another cable which a tech would normally charge for. But for $7/mo it's worth having the ability to change channels seperate using its own remote and you'll get HD

...and still be able to record something no matter what each of you are watching

Thanks for this. It helps a lot. Question...the receiver I have is connected to the wall via a coax cable as it was set up by Dish tech when I first installedon tv1. TV 2 is connected directly into the wall via coax (in another room). If I connected a new Hopper the same way to tv1, would tv2 come on and show the same program?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks for this. It helps a lot. Question...the receiver I have is connected to the wall via a coax cable as it was set up by Dish tech when I first installedon tv1. TV 2 is connected directly into the wall via coax (in another room). If I connected a new Hopper the same way to tv1, would tv2 come on and show the same program?
No. The hopper is all digital, so you either need a receiver or use the analog output on back of hopper. But by the sounds of it you would need to run a srvond cable. It probably won't be worth the hassle. I'd highly recommend just getting a hopper and a Joey.

Not enough info. I have a single Wally feeding HD to 3 TVs with HDMI over coax, I can record 4 channels at the same time but only watch one. With OTA and streaming, this is more than enough content for this household.

The foregoing isn't altogether clear to me either- DiSH Duo (2 sat tuner) receivers such as ViP722 are settings-switchable for either solo operation or dual independent users. Set for solo operation it outputs only as TV1 on all outputs including the modulator that can cable to extra rooms. This is best where there's little or no need for separate use on differing channels, as the sole user gets the benefit of controlling both tuners such that he can always have capability to be recording a show while watching another live from sat.

Setting for dual use sends the 2nd tuner's output separately out the modulator showing as TV2 so that a different channel or recording can be viewed in a separate room by a separate viewer (using a separate TV2 remote) at the same time. But this then limits the "main" (TV1) user (as well as the TV2 user) to the use of a single tuner such that he then cannot record a show while watching another live from sat. Both users can independently access and view different DVR recordings as well as independently record new while independently watching from the DVR.

Nothing you have stated indicates to me any benefit from a hopper "upgrade". I have a 722 as well, and if told I have to go hopper, that will be it for DiSH

Last edited:
So the dish goes to the receiver via the in wall coax.
Receiver feeds TV2 via in wall coaxh
You don't say how TV1 is fed.

I don't believe Hopper has a Coax output (to feed ANY TV). So you'd need to convert (either composite, component, or HDMI) to Coax (RF modulator). Then you'd either need to split that Coax to feed TV 1, or use one of the other outputs (composite, component, HDMI) to TV1.

I have a single Wally I use to feed 3 TVs. The 2 TVs in other rooms use an HDMI to coax converter so I can have an HD picture on all TVs. It only supports progressive feeds, so I have to keep the Wally at 720P but I can't tell a difference.

A Hopper for one output doesn't make sense, you'll be paying $15/mo when you could use a Wally. Add an OTA tuner and you'll be able to record 2 OTA channels, 2 satellite channels and save $12.99/mo.

IIRC, the 722 feeds TV1 AND TV2 on separate RF channels from the TV out coax on the back or the receiver and feeds TV1 to the nearby TV with HDMI and/or Component.
IF you go Hopper you would have to have a Joey at the other TV fed by coax but that coax is backfed through the coax that comes from the dish, all through a hub that would be a separate splitter looking device (see pic below) somewhere between the Hopper and the outside dish. Your present cables would be adequate but the connection would be slightly different.
Sat signal from Dish through the hub to the Hopper. MOCA (Multimedia over cable)
Hybrid Solo Hub.jpg
out from the Hopper to the Joey on the same cable to the hub then out of the hub on the current cable to the Joey at the other TV. From the Joey via HDMI to the other TV. Host is the Hopper, Client is for Joeys, ODU is the dish.

IIRC, the 722 feeds TV1 AND TV2 on separate RF channels from the TV out coax on the back or the receiver and feeds TV1 to the nearby TV with HDMI and/or Component.
IF you go Hopper you would have to have a Joey at the other TV fed by coax but that coax is backfed through the coax that comes from the dish, all through a hub that would be a separate splitter looking device (see pic below) somewhere between the Hopper and the outside dish. Your present cables would be adequate but the connection would be slightly different.
Sat signal from Dish through the hub to the Hopper. MOCA (Multimedia over cable) View attachment 172092out from the Hopper to the Joey on the same cable to the hub then out of the hub on the current cable to the Joey at the other TV. From the Joey via HDMI to the other TV. Host is the Hopper, Client is for Joeys, ODU is the dish.
I didn't like this decision by DiSH- my favoring was a single box in the house and not box at each screen.

Setting for dual use sends the 2nd tuner's output separately out the modulator showing as TV2 so that a different channel or recording can be viewed in a separate room by a separate viewer (using a separate TV2 remote) at the same time. But this then limits the "main" (TV1) user (as well as the TV2 user) to the use of a single tuner such that he then cannot record a show while watching another live from sat. Both users can independently access and view different DVR recordings as well as independently record new while independently watching from the DVR.
Actually, on TV2, if you're watching on Air CH60, Ch63 mirrors TV1 and if you're watching on Cable Ch73, Ch75 mirrors TV1 @ the TV2 location

I didn't like this decision by DiSH- my favoring was a single box in the house and not box at each screen.
There are OTHER benefits from the Hopper at TV1 and the Joeys at the other TV's.

High-def on every TV.
More recording capabilities without conflicts.
Quadruple recording space
Streaming apps at each TV
Access to On-Demand program in a more sensible way with much better functionality than on the VIP equipment.
Whole-Home DVR access, again without conflicts.
Remote streaming via App
No fear of being forced to upgrade, possibly at a greater cost because of out-dated or obsolete equipment

There are OTHER benefits from the Hopper at TV1 and the Joeys at the other TV's.

High-def on every TV.
More recording capabilities without conflicts.
Quadruple recording space
Streaming apps at each TV
Access to On-Demand program in a more sensible way with much better functionality than on the VIP equipment.
Whole-Home DVR access, again without conflicts.
Remote streaming via App
No fear of being forced to upgrade, possibly at a greater cost because of out-dated or obsolete equipment

And a ton of fees that will send your bill through the roof. A single Hopper and Joey add $22/mo or a whopping $264/yr.

But as was related, they could have elected to do HD over coax, or even over ethernet for multiroom from same box.

Correct, DiSH Duo (322, 522/625, 722) sends out both TV1 & TV2 on modulator output (coax). Further, the specific output channel for each is settable, as is whether on offair or cable channel formatting. This allows the modulator output to be combined with either offair or cable and then split for a whole home systemic solution. I did a # of systems with a 522 & a 322 placed where there was no screen, such as in a utility closet, then set their TV1 & 2 outputs to 4 different unused offair channels and combined with offair for house distribution.

And a ton of fees that will send your bill through the roof. A single Hopper and Joey add $22/mo or a whopping $264/yr.
No, because $10 of that was already applied to the 722, so it's $12/mo and for that $12, you actually get something. It;s not just some arbitrary price increase

Something To Chew On

Catch 22 / Continued problems with Wally/Playmaker