trying to get RTV on 83W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bassplayer 1964

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
SW Virginia
I have been following this thread closely and have noticed lots of over all problems getting RTN. I am in the process of adding a dedicated dish for RTN here as the only way I can get it would be cable and honestly that would be more problems than I need and their reliability is not good at all.. OTA is out of the question on a sub here due to a deep fringe of the station that carries RTN. So my question is how is things going now...signal Q wise ? The only dish I have currently is a Primestar with OEM lnbf which technically should work. Since LEO 1 has moved elsewhere is the make of receiver as much of an issue as it was then?

Thanks for any recommendations! I would definitely like to watch Adam 12 again :)

Wt

I broke this thread off of a 2+ year old thread...lots has changed in 2 years :)

The signal on 83W is very strong. Shows between 72-75 on my Coolsat 5000 and its raining right now....normally its up to 79 or so which is almost max. This is on a 30" dish in Minnesota.

The make of receiver is irrelevant...as long as it works good for free to air you'll be fine. The reason I say that is because if you have an old hacker box with hackerware in it sometimes they have issues getting anything that isn't Dish or Bell.

The Primestar dish should work fine even with the OEM LNB :)

Echoing Iceberg's note and results.

Just located it for the first time on my first motorized Ku setup this evening. A used Visionsat receiver and a Multistar dish on SG-2100 motor. GREAT quality even when shooting in the dark for where it is after finding 87ku. Barely bumped the Ku dish and it came in. Will be posting questions on the motor and mount elsewhere, but this "should" be a good signal to find fairly easily, given I did it tonite this easily.

Well ... Guess I can't win em all :)

There still looks to be lots of programs I used to watch so it'll be worth the work I think lol

Thanks for the info!

Wayne

I broke this thread off of a 2+ year old thread...lots has changed in 2 years :)

The signal on 83W is very strong. Shows between 72-75 on my Coolsat 5000 and its raining right now....normally its up to 79 or so which is almost max. This is on a 30" dish in Minnesota.

The make of receiver is irrelevant...as long as it works good for free to air you'll be fine. The reason I say that is because if you have an old hacker box with hackerware in it sometimes they have issues getting anything that isn't Dish or Bell.

The Primestar dish should work fine even with the OEM LNB :)

I basically do not have a receiver yet for KU just C band currently. I was noticing some post replies that said some brands would lock right in on the transponder while others would not, that may have been during the LEO 1 days though.

I checked earlier today and I had about 60 + on signal with 45 + on quality with the OEM P Star LNBF .. these readings were from my meter in the absence of a receiver.

Wt

I re-aimed my white Direcway satellite internet dish Saturday over to that satellite, and aiming that thing on AMC9 usually takes me a whole hour or more-it's very touchy. Plus there's a tree that's almost in the way of it. But I hit it in about 15minutes , RTV//TuffTV popped right in, and it wasn't even stored in that receiver while I was aiming. I just blind-scanned until I found it. You shouldn't have any problem finding it , with a primestar dish, most of them are considerably bigger than this old internet dish.

I re-aimed my white Direcway satellite internet dish Saturday over to that satellite, and aiming that thing on AMC9 usually takes me a whole hour or more-it's very touchy. Plus there's a tree that's almost in the way of it. But I hit it in about 15minutes , RTV//TuffTV popped right in, and it wasn't even stored in that receiver while I was aiming. I just blind-scanned until I found it. You shouldn't have any problem finding it , with a primestar dish, most of them are considerably bigger than this old internet dish.

Oh most definitely touchy here in Va too !
I believe I have good enough signal according to my meter anyway.. just need to get a receiver and come up with some sort of mount. Right now it's siting on the ground help up to elevation with a small piece of wood... Redneck satellite dish I guess :)

Wt

im near hillsville... i go thru marion & used to do work in for a company in abington a few years ago (big wood siding company i think it was right off the highway)

im near hillsville... i go thru marion & used to do work in for a company in abington a few years ago (big wood siding company i think it was right off the highway)

Oh yeah! Know where you are located! Get up that way every once in awhile! When you were traveling I81 to Abingdon when you passed by the bridge where hwy 11 crosses over you were almost in sight of my house. I am not far at all from the interstate...almost near the "world famous Dip Dog Stand" :)

I got my receiver and got everything wired in today and everything is GREAT! RTV and TUFFTV popped right in after a blind scan and lnb setup. Signal quality and strength on the S10 reads close to what I had on my meter during my dish setup which was a few weeks prior to the receiver. Right now I just have the vertical polarity output of the lnb wired in. I have an assortment of 4X4 switches from my DTV install days so I'll see if I can't get that to work for polarity matching. Haven't tried anything yet so if anyone has something they have used on this let me know.. I'm open for suggestions.. I Love It When A Plan Comes Together

I have used the 3x4 switches, I think they are SAM3402s, but I'd have to walk out there to the dishes to check. Just put one line to H in the Satellite 1 port, the vertical line into Satellite 2, etc, and out put back to the receiver. If you have RTV you have succeeded, seems to be one of the tougher ones for newbies to aim.
edit : "PerfectVision" switch is what I have, #SAM3402. flea-market specials

Last edited:
I don't remember seeing anything (other than a data transponder) on the vertical side of AMC 9 Ku. Currently I only have the Horizontal connected as I use a switch to feed a couple of receivers for RTV. The more connections, the more equipement, the more chances for problems.

DpSyChO, the_man_one, & Bassplayer 1964 -
Nice to know that I am not the only FTA guy in SW Va. I am 25 miles west of I81 @ mile marker 100 (Dublin). Years ago, I did occasional work in Marion for Smyth County TV, so I am familiar with the area where you live. Have a great week!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)