Trying to sub In canada.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Why would this thread get shut down? We can debate the ethics of a Canadian looking to pay for DirecTV services - just as an American resident who wishes to subscribe to Canadian-based services - until we're blue in the face. It doesn't do anyone any good by the way. I'd suggest you try to help - we can't be stopped. ;)

In addition, there are moderators here who deem these activities to be satisfactory, much in the way that people "move."

Ah, debating is one thing but a "how to do it list" is another. I am the wrong one to ask to defend DTV. What those folks did to people who set up companies to install the DTV product has produced all kinds of problems.

DTV sells their programming to people who live in addresses within the USA (CONUS). Canada has another system. If someone were to call DTV from Canada and order an installation or even open an account the CSR would refuse because DTV is limited in where they are legally allowed to sell their service. If you deceive anyone during the sales transaction the contract is void.

Enforcement is another matter. And I have to think about how DTV is damaged by someone spiking a dish to a Canadian tree and tuning the same signal they are paying for in Detroit.

Is it possible that DTV is better than the Canadian service?

Joe

So now that we've deemed this subject safe, there's really just one thing I want to know about. What will the conversation with the sat rep be like?

I have the dish and receiver, I call them using Skype. How is the conversation going to go? Anyone have experience with this?

Cheers!

First, they will insist on having the system installed by them if its a new account.

Second, they will want your SSN.

Those will be your two issues.

First, they will insist on having the system installed by them if its a new account.

Professional install is not required. They will really really encourage a professional install, but it's possible to activate it after installing yourself. Best thing here would be to call and say that you've moved into a house that already had it installed.

Also, you don't have to give them your SSN. They will make you pay a deposit, but no SSN is required.

To be sure, someone in the US is going to have to help. They will need a billing address to send the bills to, a US phone number in order to call and setup service, and a US credit card to bill to (although there are reports that some canadian cards will work)

its not that hard
NO ONE here is going to help you!

if you guys found this site you should be intelligent enough to come up with a us billing/service address and phone number
let imagination go from there
once setup maybe get online access to directv account online and make changes from there, if needed also maybe setup autopay/paperless billing

the hardest part will be installing the dish yourself imho

should any problems arise after installed your sol or you play csr roulette till you get answer you want

Last edited:
Professional install is not required. They will really really encourage a professional install, but it's possible to activate it after installing yourself. Best thing here would be to call and say that you've moved into a house that already had it installed.

Also, you don't have to give them your SSN. They will make you pay a deposit, but no SSN is required.

To be sure, someone in the US is going to have to help. They will need a billing address to send the bills to, a US phone number in order to call and setup service, and a US credit card to bill to (although there are reports that some canadian cards will work)

Good to know. Whenever I called they insisted on installing it and an SSN.

I am sorry to say your are incorrect...first of all they have no legal right and don't demand your ssn but they will ask for it ...just say that you dont give out that info...they will be okay with it...and second of all if you dont ask for a install and buy you reciever at bestbuy and do a self install...they have no probs...your biggest problems will be with a valid us address and a valid us phone number that matches your address....

hope this helps....

I am sorry to say your are incorrect...first of all they have no legal right and don't demand your ssn but they will ask for it ...just say that you dont give out that info...they will be okay with it...and second of all if you dont ask for a install and buy you reciever at bestbuy and do a self install...they have no probs...your biggest problems will be with a valid us address and a valid us phone number that matches your address....

hope this helps....

You are correct, that you don't have to give out your ssn, but Directv doesn't have to deal with you if you don't.

I've read that if you dont have a SSN, they will ask for a $200-300 deposit. To be honest best thing to do would be just call and see what happens. Use a US address with a phone number and your credit card. Worst case thing is they say "no" then you can simply try again until you get what you want.

I've read that if you dont have a SSN, they will ask for a $200-300 deposit. To be honest best thing to do would be just call and see what happens. Use a US address with a phone number and your credit card. Worst case thing is they say "no" then you can simply try again until you get what you want.

See,

We are back where we started. You get the rig installed and the account activated in CONUS (Continental United States ). Then you take it all down and take the equipment to Canada where it is reinstalled. You have voided the DTV contract. You have also violated a Canadian law..........if the mounties see the box they will write down the number and want to see it when you leave Canada.

In the scheme of things these are not great industrial sins...........but you did have to BS your way the where you wanted to be.

Is DTV that good?

Joe

Last edited:
yup thread has ran its course all the 411 is in here and were back at the begining
TIME TO CLOSE THIS THREAD! someone should start a thread trying to sub in Bermuda

Is DTV that good?

Joe

For me, it's not that DTV is that good, and as a matter of fact I am quite happy with my Shaw Cable service. The problem is that my significant other is a native spanish speaker and as such enjoys the spanish programming that is very common in the United States.

Due to the extremely uptight nature of the CRTC, only a small percentage of non-canadian content is allowed, and considering the few that are allowed, a miniscule percent of our population would prefer a spanish channel over a Fox or a CBS.

Therefore, my two options are to try to get DTV where I am or move south of my border.

Which one do you think is more plausible?

they never asked me for one...when i refused....just make sure all your info matches....rules are rules and they have to follow their own policy on activating accounts....

For me, it's not that DTV is that good, and as a matter of fact I am quite happy with my Shaw Cable service. The problem is that my significant other is a native spanish speaker and as such enjoys the spanish programming that is very common in the United States.

Due to the extremely uptight nature of the CRTC, only a small percentage of non-canadian content is allowed, and considering the few that are allowed, a miniscule percent of our population would prefer a spanish channel over a Fox or a CBS.

Therefore, my two options are to try to get DTV where I am or move south of my border.

Which one do you think is more plausible?

Hmmmmmm!

I see your point. There are a lot of satellites up there. How tough could their encryption be? You don't necessarily want DTV, just Spanish language programming.

Maybe someone on here could steer you in that direction.....Free to Air (FTA) used to have lots of stuff. All feeds come from somewhere.

Good luck,

Joe

Why can't we get Canadian TV and vice a versa? I know there is a law but what is the rational?
Who am I hurting?

Why can't we get Canadian TV and vice a versa? I know there is a law but what is the rational?
Who am I hurting?

That is a good question!

My bet is that somehow the broadcast advertising money is involved. Or the local Canadian satellite & CATV folks don't want more FREE competition. Somehow a free source would tend to dilute the pool of dues paying subs.

It could even be a censorship thing. American censors can't stop the Canadian toilet jokes and the Canadian censors don't like Howard Stern.....or something like that.

It is probably the money thing. Satellite launches ain't free. But if you are offering to pay your question still stands. Car radios don't blink off when you cross the boarder.

Joe

Who am I hurting?

No one, really, other than possibly your home country's broadcasters. However, the argument could be made that you wouldn't be watching them anyway if you weren't interested in the programming.

This is truly a grey area. There's no specific law that says you cannot watch US programming in Canada and there is no specific law that says you cannot watch Canadian programming in the US. What there IS a specific law on is that program providers such as DirecTV must have a license in the country to offer service. There's also a law saying you can't break encryption on protected streams. Grey marketing doesn't break the encryption so you're not breaking that law, and DirecTV isn't marketing service in Canada so that law isn't being broken. You could make a case that it's fraud, but since there is no actual monetary loss, DirecTV likely would just shut down your service and not pursue any criminal or civil charges.

Dish and Direct are licensed to sell in the US addresses only
Bell & Starchoice are licensed to sell to Canadian addresses only

Dish makes the equipment for Bell but they are not interchangable

Who am I hurting?
you can get Canadian TV. Hell I've had it for 6 years now. It is not illegal according to the FCC to subscribe to Canadian TV in the US....you just need a Canadian address

It is illegal (according to the CRTC) to subscribe to Dish or Direct in Canada. They want more "protection" there

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts