Trying to sub In canada.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
For me, it's not that DTV is that good, and as a matter of fact I am quite happy with my Shaw Cable service. The problem is that my significant other is a native spanish speaker and as such enjoys the spanish programming that is very common in the United States.

Therefore, my two options are to try to get DTV where I am or move south of my border.

NOT that I'm trying to discourage you from D*, but since you seem to be primarily looking for spanish prog, have you considered keeping Shaw Cable, but just adding a spanish-only prog pkg from either D* or E*? Might be easier than chucking your cable service altogether. (especially if you might have cable modem service) Many folks have a mix of providers to give us the best of both/all worlds. (I have something from BOTH D* & E*, plus cable & OTA antenna, to give me what I want :D )

No one, really, other than possibly your home country's broadcasters. However, the argument could be made that you wouldn't be watching them anyway if you weren't interested in the programming.

This is truly a grey area. There's no specific law that says you cannot watch US programming in Canada and there is no specific law that says you cannot watch Canadian programming in the US. What there IS a specific law on is that program providers such as DirecTV must have a license in the country to offer service. There's also a law saying you can't break encryption on protected streams. Grey marketing doesn't break the encryption so you're not breaking that law, and DirecTV isn't marketing service in Canada so that law isn't being broken. You could make a case that it's fraud, but since there is no actual monetary loss, DirecTV likely would just shut down your service and not pursue any criminal or civil charges.

Actually in Canada recieving the service is also breaking the law, the is no law in the US for the opposite though. Thanks to Bell Grey Market is also illegal in Canada as well. However the most that probably would happen is DirecTV Suspends your service or you take the dish down. Unless you want to create noise if they for some reason come knocking it is probably unlikely you would end up in court.

Not paying for the service would then be Piracy which is much more illegal.

The interesting thing though is apparently CBSA/CRA has chosen not to enforce the law on this topic. They will continue to let it pass through the border and they will collect tax on the recievers. The only exception is if the RCMP requests them to stop the importation will they then intervene. Chalk it all up to Tax revenues, it's illegal but still collect the tax on them ;).

1. Is it true that it is legal to import an American satellite dish?

If a satellite dish system is imported and intended to be used for unlawful decoding of encrypted signals, as prohibited in section 9(1)(c) of the Radiocommunication Act, this constitutes an offence under section 10(1)(b) of the Act. It is illegal to use an American DTH satellite service (also referred to as grey market) in Canada to receive and decode encrypted programming. Doing so is in contravention of section 9(1)(c) of the Act.

5. Why does Canada have rules making the reception of American DTH programming illegal?

There are a number of reasons why Canada prohibits unauthorized decoding of encrypted subscription programming signals. A Canadian broadcaster who has purchased distribution rights for programs suffers financial loss if the same program provided on a U.S. satellite signal is decoded in Canada. Also, the subscriber base for Canadian DTH distribution undertakings is significantly diminished if Canadians subscribe to unauthorized American DTH services. The importation of American DTH equipment and the purchase of American subscriptions ultimately threatens jobs and growth in the Canadian broadcasting industry.

Spectrum Management and Telecommunications - Direct-to-Home (DTH) Satellite Broadcasting

Actually in Canada recieving the service is also breaking the law, the is no law in the US for the opposite though. Thanks to Bell Grey Market is also illegal in Canada as well. However the most that probably would happen is DirecTV Suspends your service or you take the dish down. Unless you want to create noise if they for some reason come knocking it is probably unlikely you would end up in court.

Not paying for the service would then be Piracy which is much more illegal.

The interesting thing though is apparently CBSA/CRA has chosen not to enforce the law on this topic. They will continue to let it pass through the border and they will collect tax on the recievers. The only exception is if the RCMP requests them to stop the importation will they then intervene. Chalk it all up to Tax revenues, it's illegal but still collect the tax on them ;).

Spectrum Management and Telecommunications - Direct-to-Home (DTH) Satellite Broadcasting

Then I stand corrected. I figured there might be something like that in Canadian law considering how crazy the CRTC is :)

of course not. If you saw the Canadian OTA networks all they show is US shows that are on our nets ;)

Iceberg you have had it for six years. What do you like about it? I would think it would be interesting to see their local news, hockey games, commercials etc... but I would imagine that it would ware off after a short time.

This site was interesting but I don't live near Canada.
http://www.canadatotwincities.com/satellite.html

Last edited:
The interesting thing though is apparently CBSA/CRA has chosen not to enforce the law on this topic. They will continue to let it pass through the border and they will collect tax on the recievers. The only exception is if the RCMP requests them to stop the importation will they then intervene. Chalk it all up to Tax revenues, it's illegal but still collect the tax on them

It is not illegal to import or have in your possession Directv or Dish Network equipment in Canada. (Although Paul Martin and his Liberal clan of Bell lovers had a Bill on the table to make it illegal before he was ousted).

You can bring in truckloads of US DBS equipment to Canada legally. You just can't use them to watch TV there.

For those of you who are in Canada, are you using a cc from a Canadian banking institution for the DirecTV payment? If anyone would like to PM me, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

I don't think they differientiate the home country of the credit card, you'll just pay the conversion rate on the credit card automatically like with any other international purchase.

The problem would be if Direct used an address verification, but I've read that several people pay with their Canadian card with no problem. Just don't plug in a phone line - that they would notice.

.your biggest problems will be with a valid us address and a valid us phone number that matches your address....

hope this helps....

Landlines Phone lines are not required by either D* or E*. If you need an actual u.s. phone number to set up service, all you need is a prepaid cellphone etc and someone's address where they can have a bill sent. Probably the best way is for a relative whom lives in the u.s. or is a snowbird.

I would think it would be interesting to see their local news, hockey games, commercials etc...

If you get the NHLCI Subscription you will get all the canadian commericials of the tsn, rogers sportsnet, leafstv, etc. in between periods anyways. I live on the border and also have the most basic of basic cable, and we get cbc and ctv out of toronto on our cable system. In the past we got CFL and Blue Jays games on those, however I hear cbc is dropping most sports except for hockey now due to $$$$ problems.

OH, watch for me on Sportsnet tonight, because I will be at sabres/leafs game tonight.

Here's another issue, at least for those north of the border - how do you circimvent the credit check at the activation stage? Is it always a requirement of DirecTV to run a credit check on new customers? Is one required if you already have the receiver in your possession and do not need one given to you from DirecTV themselves?

Here's another issue, at least for those north of the border - how do you circimvent the credit check at the activation stage? Is it always a requirement of DirecTV to run a credit check on new customers? Is one required if you already have the receiver in your possession and do not need one given to you from DirecTV themselves?

Anyone know of a possible way to get away from the credit check, or will it always be a requirement at setup whether or not you are leasing the units from DirecTV?

If I had a directv setup in my motor home and drove said motor home across the border into Canada; I wouldn't be able to watch Directv?

Something that puzzles me here. Why are they called "Mounties" THEY'RE the one riding the horse. Shouldn't that make them the MOUNTER and the HORSE the Mountee? :D

It is a British thing; has nothing to do with English usage. The R.C.M.P. refers to police (P.) who have already been mounted (M.). Not only that, Canada (C.) never had royalty (R.).
So the mounter you refer to has already been mounted.......and doesn't like to put up with jokes about the red suite either.

Or it could refer to the mountains they have out west.

Joe

Anyone know of a possible way to get away from the credit check, or will it always be a requirement at setup whether or not you are leasing the units from DirecTV?
A credit check is required by DIRECTV as part of their campaign for higher quality customers (nee: lower churn).

You can skip the credit check but you'll have to pay a deposit.
I don't think this is true anymore.
DIRECTV Customer Agreement said:
(f) Consents Regarding Credit. In order to establish an account with us, you authorize us to inquire into your creditworthiness (subject to Section 6), by checking with credit reporting agencies. If you are delinquent in any payment to us, you also authorize us to report any late payment or nonpayment to credit reporting agencies. Due to the subjective nature of creditworthiness, we reserve the right to require pre-payment for any Service via cashier's check, money order, or credit card, notwithstanding your credit rating, past history or practice.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts