TSN carrying more Montreal Canadiens games

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Looks like after carrying the Leafs on a regional basis, TSN is now trying to be the Anglo provider of Habs games....albeit regionally

Montreal Canadiens Regional Broadcast Schedule

TSN presents 24 games this season to viewers in Quebec, Atlantic Canada and parts of Eastern Ontario, including Ottawa, Belleville, Kingston and Pembroke on a TSN alternate feed with at least 30 Canadiens games to be broadcast regionally during the 2011-12 and 2012-13 NHL regular seasons.
so no games for me (NW Ontario)...guess I have to continue to watch them on RDS ;)

guess I have to continue to watch them on RDS

Tant mieux!!......all the better to improve your French!

Whoops, I'm supposed to limit myself to technical stuff, huh? I believe TSN and RDS are kinda "sister stations", aren't they? I suppose TSN has to vie with CBC/HNIC for rights to the Montreal games, huh? Since HNIC is only on Satruday, TSN gets all the weekday games...?

I can remember when La Soirée du Hockey used to be on SRC both Wednesday and Saturday nights. We got SRC Montreal with a roof antenna in those days. Not sure why SRC gave up the rights and let RDS carry the games, but I must say, RDS does a great job following the Canadiens throughout the season and to the end of the playoffs, even if..., er.... I mean when Montreal gets eliminated :rolleyes:. Last season RDS added Joel Bouchard to do the analysis from behind the bench......he does a great job IMHO.

Tant mieux!!......all the better to improve your French!
hee hee ;)

Whoops, I'm supposed to limit myself to technical stuff, huh?
nah Its all good
I believe TSN and RDS are kinda "sister stations", aren't they?
correct. Both owned by CTV/Globemedia

I suppose TSN has to vie with CBC/HNIC for rights to the Montreal games, huh? Since HNIC is only on Satruday, TSN gets all the weekday games...?
TSN doesnt have to vie for anything. The CBC has the rights to Saturday night games so nobody else can carry them. There was no English Language station for the Habs. The only time they were on TSN is usually playing another Canadian team. Recently TSN started carrying more Habs games for the Anglo population.
Now note these are regional (like the Leafs games use to be on TSN) so unless you're in the market (Quebec, Atlantic Canada and Eastern Ontario) you'll be blacked out.

I can remember when La Soirée du Hockey used to be on SRC both Wednesday and Saturday nights. We got SRC Montreal with a roof antenna in those days. Not sure why SRC gave up the rights and let RDS carry the games, but I must say, RDS does a great job following the Canadiens throughout the season and to the end of the playoffs, even if..., er.... I mean when Montreal gets eliminated :rolleyes:. Last season RDS added Joel Bouchard to do the analysis from behind the bench......he does a great job IMHO.

well the wiki article says RDS got the rights to the Habs games and SRC was able to barter the Saturday games for a year
La Soirée du hockey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beginning with the 2002–03 season, RDS secured exclusive French language rights to the NHL. The deal, reached with the Canadiens and not directly with the league, was meant to ensure a consistent home for all Canadiens games, whereas, as a general-interest network, Radio-Canada could not give up so much airtime to Canadiens games. The announcement drew the ire of, among others, then-Heritage Minister Sheila Copps, who suggested that the network would somehow be violating its conditions of licence by not airing LSDH. In reality there is no specific regulatory requirement that the CBC's networks carry the NHL, nor that there be parity between the two networks' carriage thereof.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)