Tulsa or Oklahoma City?

OSUCowboy

Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
I live in Stillwater, OK. Southwest side of town, on hill with clear path to both OKC and Tulsa. AntennaWeb has me at 45 miles out of OKC and 65 miles out of Tulsa. I want both if I can get them. I'll install this system on my roof, approx. 25-30 feet high. Limited trees blocking OKC path, nothing blocking Tulsa path.
I'm looking at the Winegard HD 7685P with its pre-amp.

Questions:
Do I need to just get a large directional with pre-amp and go for OKC or is it possible to go for both cities with an omni-directional antenna? Does that exist?

Is the Winegard HD 7695P the creme de la creme here or am I missing a better deal?

What do I do once the thing is installed and cable is safely pulled through the house to the monitors? Do I just plug it in to the TV?

It's gotta be harder than that, right?

btw, GO POKES! We're #6, which is nuts, and we're playing #1 Texas this Saturday!!!!

Check out the Clearstream C4 - it is much more compact and it worked really well for me at 60 miles from the LA towers. Also plan on adding a pre-amplifier - the CM 7777 works for me - and possibly a rotor to guarantee that it will be able to do well on the Tulsa channels.

If you want to pick up the current analog channels the C4 won't do too well because it is designed to pick up the digital 7 to 69 channels.

Good luck!

I bought the channel master 3671 antenna with a 7777 preamp and I am able to get Lawton and OKC locals. I am a little bit further out than you are (70-OKC and 40 to Lawton's tower) and my antenna is in my attic. On a Dish 722 my signal strength is 70-90 % on all stations

I bought the channel master 3671 antenna with a 7777 preamp and I am able to get Lawton and OKC locals. I am a little bit further out than you are (70-OKC and 40 to Lawton's tower) and my antenna is in my attic. On a Dish 722 my signal strength is 70-90 % on all stations

Strange because I replaced a CM 3671 with the Clearstream C4 and get much more stable reception on all the channels with the C4 - plus I get 3 that I didn't get before.

Anyone interested in a used 3671 let me know and I'll let it go cheap. Only catch is that is measures like 14 feet long by 9 feet wide and will be a pain to pack and ship.

cost

Did you plug your coax directly into the TV or did you rent/buy a box?
Did you install it yourself?
Is rotor easy to install?

I see others saying they've plugged the cable directly to the monitor, but one some info suggests renting or buying a converter box for $400-800.

Mine is plugged binto my DISH 722 receiver
yes I installed it myself
I did not install a rotar. Mine is directed toward OKC and picks up Lawton on the back end. I am acutally using a radio shack antenna right now, but plan on hooking it into the channel master

There is virtually no way to get both OKC and Tulsa with one antenna without a rotor.

Tulsa towers must be east of Tulsa, because TVFool shows them 90 miles east of you and OKC 35 miles south of you.

Tulsa might be a very long shot.

I'd go with a Winegard HD7690's series, the strength depending on how many TV's you need to drive.

OKC towers are in Edmond closer to Stillwater. Tulsa towers are east of Tulsa near Coweta. I would go for Tulsa if you can get them. KJRH can do local broadcasts and any syndicated programming in HD now and is just a better station in terms of reliability for NBC programming than KFOR. You probably won't get KTUL as they are still limiting their signal to protect KTEN's analog signal until the analog shutoff. A good antenna and pre amp should get you most of Tulsa from that location. I would go with two antenna's or a rotor. If you are a CW fan, you will want OKC as Tulsa's CW is still a digital subchannel until next spring when Griffin gets their new studios completed.

Thank you all for the help. I am going to give this a go:

Dual Antennas - I'll give the Winegards a first run, one mounted 8 feet above the other. That much I know.

TWO MORE QUESTIONS:
1. Can I boost both antennae with two amplifiers and not be burdened by 'noise' since I'm far enough away from both locales.

2. How do I get both sets of channels on one television?

2. How do I get both sets of channels on one television?

First, each antenna will need it's own preamp. An A/B switch should be used to switch antennas.

If your TV allows stations to be added manually, switch the A/B to Tulsa, have the TV scan for stations. Next switch the A/B switch to OK City and add those stations one at a time.

If your TV does not allow stations to be added manually, you will have to add the antennas together using filter style Joiners and/or Jointennas.

Last edited: