Turbo-charged Audio?

Building

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
Can someone who’s been turbo-charged with the latest software upgrade please check to see if you’re able to get audio from the HDMI output of your Dish receiver? I believe this would be necessary in order to receive all of the possible audio formats available with the VOD 1080P movies.

You had a defective ViP622. Both my ViP622 & my current ViP722 transmit audio via HDMI.

HDMI audio is availabe on the 622. It is not the full 5.1 surround sound, that is through the spdif or optical output.

This is why I'm hooked up through the Optical outputs. It will be interesting to see if they upgrade the hdmi audio to some of the newer audio formats available.

I would think you would get the same audio from optical as you would through hdmi. I use optical because that is the only input my receiver has. I wonder if dd ex will be available? I use hdmi for video directly to the tv.

As far as I can tell I'm getting 5.1 through my HDMI connection. I wasn't aware that I wasn't supposed to be. The people that aren't getting 5.1, are you sure your preferences are set right?

As far as I can tell I'm getting 5.1 through my HDMI connection. I wasn't aware that I wasn't supposed to be. The people that aren't getting 5.1, are you sure your preferences are set right?
The 622 (and 722, of course) will output 5.1 via HDMI.

Of course, your receiver has to be able accept it.

When I first hooked up a 622 to a Denon AVR-2807, the 622 would not output it, but that was later solved by a software update to the 622.

Be aware, that on the Denon (only brand receivers I have hooked up through the HDMI ports) do not (unless this has recently changed) default to audio through HDMI.

You may need to go into the setup menu (of the Denon) and make that change,

Those that say the 622 will not output 5.1 audio over HDMI are incorrect. I have one of each (both connected via HDMI) to a Denon 3808ci and both output 5.1 DD just fine.

The 622 (and 722, of course) will output 5.1 via HDMI.

Of course, your receiver has to be able accept it.

When I first hooked up a 622 to a Denon AVR-2807, the 622 would not output it, but that was later solved by a software update to the 622.

Be aware, that on the Denon (only brand receivers I have hooked up through the HDMI ports) do not (unless this has recently changed) default to audio through HDMI.

You may need to go into the setup menu (of the Denon) and make that change,

So it sounds like they have already upgraded the hdmi to 5.1. It sounds like Scott is saying that is all they will be giving us for now though. Thanks for the info. My HT PJ is only 720P and my 7.1 audio inputs on my Onkyo are analog, so I might need to do some upgrades sooner than I would have thought.

HDMI audio is availabe on the 622. It is not the full 5.1 surround sound, that is through the spdif or optical output.
That is incorrect. True, when they first came out, but not for a long time.

I would think you would get the same audio from optical as you would through hdmi. I use optical because that is the only input my receiver has.

The specs for optical were originally written for "coaxial" connections, which do not have the bandwidth of an optical cable. So SPDIF will always be limited, compared to HDMI.

It will be standard 5.1 audio.

Thank you. That will likely be just barely "good enough" for me. But I'm not a big renter anyway, and a 4 hour window will likely kill my renting VOD completely. Maybe once, just to see how it works out.

I hooked up my 722 via HDMI and I don't get 5.1 output either. The receiver shows it being HDCP compliant but I don't get 5.1 out of the TV when I'm on the HDMI input. I figured it was just my TV not passing the 5.1 via HDMI. The TV outputs 5.1 just fine via the OTA and QAM tuner. So I just have direct optical connection from the 722 to the audio receiver.

I hooked up my 722 via HDMI and I don't get 5.1 output either. The receiver shows it being HDCP compliant but I don't get 5.1 out of the TV when I'm on the HDMI input. I figured it was just my TV not passing the 5.1 via HDMI. The TV outputs 5.1 just fine via the OTA and QAM tuner. So I just have direct optical connection from the 722 to the audio receiver.

I'm not sure if I understood this right, but I'll chime in... My LG tv manual does say that it outputs 5.1 via optical, but only from the OTA tuner. I have the 622 & a Upconvert DVD player connected to my TV by HDMI. Just for giggles, I hooked up the optical from the TV to my 5.1 receiver & just got 2.0 :( Guess the LG book is right, so I run optical from the 622 & coaxial from the DVD to the 5.1....

So, I believe you figured right & the TV doesn't "pass" 5.1 from the HDMI to optical...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts