dish is on the way out

jaypea500

Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
below is the text of an email sent to dish network's executive email address. I now know exactly why they've been losing customers (as revealed in their latest analyst's conference call today)--they just don't care anymore...

jaypea500

PS: still no call from "Aaron" 28 hours later...

=========================================================

sir:

I'm having a problem with your company and I'd like to get it resolved as quickly as possible.

beginning from yesterday evening (saturday 8/1) I lost reception of all my HD channels because of a loss of signal from 61.5. unfortunately, the 622 receiver I have locks up when it tries to lock in 61.5 leaving me with no service whatsoever from any satellite.

I called today (sunday 8/2) and went through all the troubleshooting with a CSR to no avail. that's when the real problem started. I was told that the next available service call was this friday (8/8). that's SIX DAYS after the problem started. then I was told that after waiting all that time for the repair to be done I'd have to pay $30 for the service call! I stated to the CSR that this was unacceptable, and that as a 10-year Dish customer who is not only paying an exhorbitant amount of money for my programming, plus a ton of added fees for receiver leasing and DVR charges, plus a fee for the home protection plan, I expected Dish to send someone out within the next day or two. I was told that wouldn't happen, so I asked for a supervisor. the supervisor gave me the same story, while trying to tell me I shouldn't be upset because I'd be credited for the downtime. I told him that if an appointment wasn't scheduled for the next day or so I'd be switching to either DirectTV or Comcast (you know I'm upset if I actually have to mention the "C" word). I then asked to speak with someone above him.

after waiting at least ten minutes, "Aaron" from the "Executive Resolution Unit" got on the phone. I told him because of a technical problem I was being left without service for SIX DAYS because a repair person is unable to arrive before then and I find that to be unacceptable for all the reasons I stated above. I wanted service to be restored within the next couple of days or I'd be jumping ship. he gave me his direct phone number and said he'd see what he could do and call me back.

I'm still waiting for the call back eight hours later. his direct number is long-distance, which means I'd have to pay for the call. if I do have to call, it'll be to tell him to forget it because I'm jumping ship and heading elsewhere for TV service.

I decided to do a little poll of friends and family with DirectTv, Comcast, and Verizon Fios. the three DirectTV customers I know get one to two day service. the five Comcast customers get next day service. and the two Verizon customers get one to two day service. everyone of them laughed when I told them what I was up against.

after all of this, I'd like to know why I should stay with Dish. if I have to wait SIX DAYS to have a problem resolved before my service is restored, why shouldn't I just cut my losses and jump over to another provider?

I've been a Dish loyalist for 10 years. I've sent quite a few people your way as well. I've never known Dish to be so irresponsible. I go back to the days when the customer was king, and any problems that came up would be resolved efficiently and effectively. these days though, I'm not so sure that's the case.

so here's the deal. unless I have service restored no later than tuesday evening (8/5), I'll be cancelling my service with Dish and I'll be heading elsewhere. the ball is now in your court, as they say...

Poor customer service is why dish is going under.

When dish had great customer service it grew like crazy--I hope Charlie puts his time and effort into creating a great customer relationship deptarment or else take the risk of becomming Direct Tv

welcome to the forums!
Interesting post for your one and only post...

BTW, this is how things are lately at Dish, so, either call Aaron yourself, or make the call to comcrap or Direct.

personally, i used to love Dish, about 7 or 8 years ago, when Voom was in its heyday, but, in the last year or so, they have really gone down the tubes.....I'll be joining you soon, in the "ex" Dish network column, along with 25,000 of our closest friends..

Turbo HD this, Charlie.....

I have had the same issue in the past. As soon as I get off the phone with dish CSR I call my local installer. Once there is a ticket in the "system" they have always gotten out within a day or 2. This has worked on a couple of different occasions for me.

This still does not explain why Dish allows this sort of thing to happen. let's face it anyone who spends upwards of $100 a month has a reason to spend that kind of money... We like to watch TV! We expect if there is a problem it will be addressed in a day or 2.

Good luck to you. I am sure Direct would be out to install in a day or so!!!!!

Direct will take just as long and your upfront costs you won't probably like. Take a deep breath and calm down. Ever lease a car?

Direct will take just as long and your upfront costs you won't probably like. Take a deep breath and calm down. Ever lease a car?

Are you sure about DirecTV? I've had two service calls, one for a dish realign and another for a box swap. The realign took two days, the box swap was the next day.

I ran into the same problem when i talked with the people at Dish about losing view of the 129 sat a few months back. I was told I had to pay a fee and they could only come out between 9 and 5 monday-friday. I was about to jump to ATT U-verse when I happened to talk to a third-party installer that had installed my father's Dish system a few months back. He claimed he could come install a second dish pointed at 61.5 and i wouldnt have to pay a dime... and dang if he didnt do it (in less than 48 hours no less)! Now i am a happy Dish customer again... my point being, try one of these private "licensed Dish Network" companies in your area. I was pleased with the results i got.

the only problem is that for those of us that pay a monthly maintenance fee were told that we would NOT have additional charges made to us for service calls on faulty equipment or install...At least that is what I was told when I asked the question when I re-signed up 14 months ago.

These 25 dollar or 50 dollar fees being charged to people who paid for this protection, just doesn't cut it..

If anyone takes the time to read the DHPP contract, they will see that a $30 service call is SOP. Where the customer makes the mistake with E* is opening their account by direct contact. ALL dealer service responsibilites must be responded to in a timely fashion or the that dealer can expect service chargebacks. The moral of this "story" should be easy to understand. Hope this person reads the service contract that the new provider supplies, before they go to the trouble and possible expense required to change.

so, its another example of Dish promising things that it won't /can't deliver?

Thanks for the info, Jerry, I thought I read every paragraph of the manuscript they call their "TOS"
but I must have missed that..I assumed when they told me there wouldn't be charges like that, I was naive to believe them..
4 more months for me...

Quick question: If I remember correctly, Direct bought into a company or bought services from a company that provides service; correct? If so, maybe Dish should look down this avenue?

In either case, this is why companies fall; they trust a third party without checking who they are or their history. That is not to say all companies are bad, but in most cases, their service is less than desirable. Look at Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, they use contractors whom they do not look into and get burned on occasion.

the perfect situation for a DirecTV+Dish Network merger, once again....hopefully it won't be denied this time.

6 days doesn't seem like a big deal to me. I had to wait 4 when we had some serious winds that knocked my dish out of alignment. Believe it or not I actually survived. Sure I sat drooling and staring at a black screen for those 4 days but I made it.

If anyone takes the time to read the DHPP contract, they will see that a $30 service call is SOP. Where the customer makes the mistake with E* is opening their account by direct contact. ALL dealer service responsibilites must be responded to in a timely fashion or the that dealer can expect service chargebacks. The moral of this "story" should be easy to understand. Hope this person reads the service contract that the new provider supplies, before they go to the trouble and possible expense required to change.

Too many crooked independent retailers around here for both Dish and Direct. Going with Dish direct has always been superior for me. Sorry, but the company installers are the fastest most courteous and knowledgeable hands down over ANY of the retailers I have ever dealt with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)