dish is on the way out

Why consider going to D* and cable when you have the best DVR ever made... Hang in there and wait for the service call. My local service (High Power) is also having problems with turnover.

The last person who came to install the 722 did his best to check everything out to avoid a charge back on the call (replaced the LNB on the 61.5 dish).

Hang in there...

is it Dish on the way out of business or you on the way out of subscribing to Dish? The title is a bit confusing?

THe problem is two fold.

1. Customers don't want to pay for anything. They think that money they pay every month should cover everything and anything they want. So Dish keeps finding ways to not pay the installer/service people. Poor pay = poor service

2. Dish is tring to switch all the old HD receivers to the new HD receivers. They are going stupid crazy with all these upgrades. That is why there is a long wait for a service call right now. Untill recently our area could get a service call the next day.

THe problem is two fold.

1. Customers don't want to pay for anything. They think that money they pay every month should cover everything and anything they want. So Dish keeps finding ways to not pay the installer/service people. Poor pay = poor service

2. Dish is tring to switch all the old HD receivers to the new HD receivers. They are going stupid crazy with all these upgrades. That is why there is a long wait for a service call right now. Untill recently our area could get a service call the next day.

Still all equates to poor customer service and decreasing subs...

6 days is nothing. They told a coworker June 30th when he called for service on June 9th or 10th.

I know Mediacom can be a few days for service calls, but not normally 6.

One of the reasons I dropped TWC was it took a minimum of 3 days to get someone out, but it would generally take 2 or 3 tries to actually get someone out. This was not helped by the fact that the CSRs performance metric is how quickly they can get you off the phone, so they just assign all problems to techs. Compared to Dish, their software is crap too (Navigator).

I never had to have DirecTV out when I had that service. I have a local Dish dealer who I expect to be able to rely on to get out in a day or 2 in most cases. I knew c-sat would be less than optimal with Dish when I signed up, but I can download just about anything I miss from iTunes or BitTorrent, so I am just not that concerned.

Ted

I dont think Dish is going anywhere and they will be fine. Right now it seems they are going to try to get a new bird up almost every year so overall I think they will become the leader in HD and MPEG4 as well. I think we all know they always had one of the best DVR's on the market if not the best.

Dish Network's Ergen Speaks Out On HDTV

Dish Network's Ergen Speaks Out On HDTV

I think you are right. DISH will eventually get their business back on par with DIRECTV . Once the eastern arc is truly in place with all sd and hd mirrored then the 129 sat is replaced later in this year or early next year, the problems should go away. At least reception related issues and the need for tech visits. DISH is in transition to an all mpeg4 service. This will take at least 3 or 4 years to do this. The other problems should be addressed as well. Like:

1)The exorbitant excessive fees that DISH has created .The dvr fees should be eliminated and they would see their subs soar on that one alone. The other made up fees should go away as well. WHO wants to be nickeled and dimed to death to watch tv? The only fee that they haven't come out with is the remote control fee like cable has. I'm sure they are now thinking of this one since I just said it.

2) All customer service centers should be IN THIS COUNTRY with AMERICAN speaking csrs. This one thing irritates people more than anything else. Who wants to try to understand an accent so heavy just so you can tell them I want Hbo or STarz?

3) All promotions and programs like dvr advantage , turbo hd etc , should be made available to their csrs FIRST so they are prepared to talk to customers and be knowledgeable of them. How stupid is it when you tell someone about something you have seen on their own DISH website and the csr knows nothing about what you are talking about?

4) Improve your installation network so that they meet a standard across the nation. Bad installs cause a lot of problems for customers and then more tech visits at a cost to that customer. This makes people churn faster than anything. Why should someone that is a new sub have to pay extra for the equipment , dish ,lnb, line of sight issues if it was done right the first time. There should be a minimum of 90 days of warranty on those installations before they can charge a tech fee .

5) SIMPLIFY everything you have in your programming and your fees structure. Quit making it so complicated . Do we need to change the names of the hd pack every year? How about being really future thinking and eliminate the hd fees entirely and just make it part of the programming packs. I'm sure the cost will be added to the pack anyway . IF you sub to AEP you would get the extra hd channels in the platinum pack. All other hd channels come in the pack they are associated with. Do we really need to pay for hd channels twice? We already pay for the sd versions in the programming pack anyway. At least DIRECTV is easy to understand in their structure. A TECH fee of 9.99 on ALL hd receivers. DISH could do this easily and there would be NO need for all these damn metallic packs. You have to be an accountant to figure out the way they add things together.

IF Charlie would do any of what I suggested , like the elimination of the excessive bean counter fees -DVR fee per receiver, the word of mouth would spread in the industry and the subs would come back. Remember the years with no dvr fees on the 501/722/921 dvrs? DISH added more subs back in those years and even forced DIRECTv to lower their dvr fees from 9.99 to at least 4.99 to compete. This is when DISH was really adding subs to beat the band. Charlie needs to eliminate all the bean counter accountants who are pushing these fees . Yes it adds to the bottom line in profit , but at what cost to future growth? Eventually DISH will lose even more subs and profit will fall . How many fees can you keep coming up with to keep your profit margins up when you keep losing subs to churn? The time is now CHARLIE . Make it so.

Sears is an option if you have one nearby, you can take it to Sears, and supposedly get a new one. I was told this once by a member of the Corporate Team so check into it first. Good luck.

you can get out anytime you want to, you just have to pay another fee!!

Assuming you have signed something that might be the case. Otherwise, I would dispute such an "exit fee" with my credit card company and let Dish supply them with proof of such an obligation.

the perfect situation for a DirecTV+Dish Network merger, once again....hopefully it won't be denied this time.
I hope this never happens. Healthy competition and success by both companies is the best solution.

If a merger does happen, I hope Direct will be the controlling partner. I think they have proven over the last year that they can run their business much better than Dish runs theirs.

I think Dish runs things just as good as Direct if not better.. I dont think there will ever be a merger anytime soon. In the long run I think Dish could surprise folks and some might have egg on their face.

I think Dish runs things just as good as Direct if not better.. I dont think there will ever be a merger anytime soon. In the long run I think Dish could surprise folks and some might have egg on their face.
As a Direct sub I do not want a company who pulls channels off without notice, loses subs in one quarter, makes complicated packages (although the HD only packages are a good idea) which are constantly changing, loses sports packages, charges fees for stupid things like no phone line, and being sued by different parties each year. I think the fact that Direct has many more subs, makes much more money, and continues to grow, proves they run their company much better.

Before anyone gets mad about me bashing Dish, just keep in mind that I would be just as critical of Direct if the same things were to happen with them. I would not want a merger because of this and because I want to keep it a competitive field. I hope Dish succeeds and grows.

Quick question: If I remember correctly, Direct bought into a company or bought services from a company that provides service; correct? If so, maybe Dish should look down this avenue?

In either case, this is why companies fall; they trust a third party without checking who they are or their history. That is not to say all companies are bad, but in most cases, their service is less than desirable. Look at Sears, Home Depot, Lowes, they use contractors whom they do not look into and get burned on occasion.

Dish does have its own company techs in most markets. Thats normally where the long service call times come from. I work for a few retailers, and if they send the jobs to us... they are normally scheduled 2 days out.

Dish does have its own company techs in most markets. Thats normally where the long service call times come from. I work for a few retailers, and if they send the jobs to us... they are normally scheduled 2 days out.

it all really does depend on whats going on in the communications industry in the area of the country that you live in. Its a damn BIG country you know.

long waits for services calls are not exclusive to DISH by any means. For instance, i'm moving, and changing my wireless internet connection from one city to another in the same county. Its been 3 weeks since I made the call and a Tech from the provider has yet to make an appearance at my new place.

If there have been storms lately - expect delays. If an install company has gone down the tubes - expect delays. etc etc etc. etc etc etc.

Its certainly not exclusive to DISH.

Its only TV for god sakes. read a book once in a while. look at the stars. talk to your kids. visit your mom. whatever!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)