Turbo coded

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Two questions 1 What sat receivers do HD Turbo Coded QPSK? And is the Coolsat 8100HD one that will do it with updated S/W file?

I have a 722k and subscribe so I aint hacking guy. I just got the 8100HD and am curious. I got it for PBS & CW but just asking a question. Is E* the only one that uses Turbo Coding?

Watchel1,

As far as I know, only the DN (Echostar) and Bell Express Vue sats use the Turbo Coding. I believe that Turbo is a proprietary system of these providers only. It is based upon the DVB-S2 8PSK format, but that is where the similarities end. They add their own unique method of encryption and coding to it beyond that.

The CS 8100 should handle the basic format and will work for the HD PBS channels on 125W and I judge that this is the direction that you were heading in the start - making sure that this box can accept the HD signals from the FTA sats, beyond the subscription DN and Bell Express entities.

RADAR

I agree with Radar. Except that 8psk turbo modulation said to be developed by Broadcom chip maker, and is not proprietary to any sat TV broadcaster, plus has nothing to do with encryption at all, as was discussed to death in 8psk turbo thread. :)

I agree with Radar. Except that 8psk turbo modulation said to be developed by Broadcom chip maker, and is not proprietary to any sat TV broadcaster, plus has nothing to do with encryption at all, as was discussed to death in 8psk turbo thread. :)

Zamar,

You may be correct on the issue of proprietary concerns. I had assumed that it was something specific to DN or BEV and therefore proprietary to them, but it may just be that they are the only ones who have adopted it thus far and therefore makes it appear so.

RADAR

Radar,

Several satellite equipment makers in Asia currently procure from Broadcom and utilize same chips supporting 8psk & Turbo FEC in STB upgrade boards sold around the Globe. It shows that 8psk Turbo FEC implemented in the chips is not proprietary to anyone except Broadcom, and the company free to sell products based on this technology to anyone without restriction. There are allegations of one company that such Boards when imported here may possibly have a limited practical use. But some people, as I red, argue that even a few clear HD channels they can watch using these Boards help them to identify their TV programming subscription needs better and enjoy their HDTV in areas where ATSC Broadcast is scarce. They say, its a lot better than nothing in HD, and on top completely legal.

Last edited:
Here's a kicker for you guys... several FTA receivers use tuners that are 100% capable of locking DSS signals from 101, the firmware just does not have it enabled. Even the Broadcom 8PSK chipsets used in DN receivers and such are capable of DSS signals and even DC-II.

Some may argue, the manufacturer should have these features enabled too, as the above broadcasters might have clear channels aimed to advertise their subscription packages now or in the future, and each party would benefit from having them watchable by potential subscribers. Of course, encrypted channels will still remain protected, and intellectual property preserved. DN lawyers clarified, primary method of content protection for the broadcaster is elaborate signal encryption & decryption technology, and not a signal broadcast standard selection. Because broadcast related or other standards by their nature are for common use, and content encryption scheme is usually proprietary by nature. Now, I wouldn't speculate here, why a particular manufacturer has enable a selected chip feature subset. But it sounds obvious that enabling all chip features would benefit parties even more while abiding the law. Despite DSS and DCII solutions are proprietary as opposed to DVB, they said to be obsolete and inferior, and in the process of being replaced by DVB-S2 by relevant broadcasters. If patents were issued on those solutions they have possibly expired by now. That's why, I think, Broadcom incorporated the solutions into their chips, and sells them freely.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for the dish that I'm going to put on AMC 21 for PBS. I do get PBS OTA but two reasons I want to get it sat. 1 the local station shuts of from midnight to 6 AM so I get no chance of the refeed. 2 the audio they supply has random clicking noise in it. I have emailed them and they just don't do a damn thing about it.

I get the feeling it's not the PBS station. I think they won't do a damn thing about it because there is no problem. It could be weak signal or crappy tuner.

And, if you want PBS HD on 12140V, if you don't get a dish 1 meter or larger then you will have signal issues. Mine is 0.92m, and the signal is still lower than other transponders, but is reliable. I think my success is due to the fact it's a commercial Prodelin dish, and is made really well. The reason why it's so hard to get is because of the Hughesnet transponder of the same frequency and polarity on 127w.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts