Turbo HD Packages any updates?

Yea, if they trash the TurboHD packages and force me into another package there is NO DOUBT that I'll go to Direct. I'd feel as if I've gotten used by Dish.

If it goes away... (again IF.. this is just a rumor) then I would expect it to go away only for new customers.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I don't think I'd be that upset with the idea of going to a 'regular' package as long as I'm getting my money's worth. As it stands now I don't get FOXNews, FX, Speed, Nick, VH1, MTV, BET or FOXBusiness HD in an 'ALL HD' Package. And I have Gold + Platinum which is supposed to be everything. If I can get what I'm getting now, plus the ones mentioned in HD, along with a few Standard Def channels, and maybe Sirius for around the same price, I wouldn't say no.

Even if existing customers are allowed to keep the TurboHD packages, that doesn't change the fact that Dish Network was telling people that new HD channels coming in 2009 (that weren't premium channels) would be added to TurboHD packages. It also doesn't change the fact that during a Charlie Chat it was explained that the disproportionally large price hike to the TurboHD was to support all the new HD channels coming to those packages (which further supported what their CSRs were telling potentional new customers). I couldn't be more upset with Dish Network right now. I really feel like I've been tricked, and I'm trapped with them until my contract expires. :(

There's a lot of blame to go around on this one.

Dish network should never have marketed the Turbo Packages as a HD only equivalent of other packages or promised that all new additions would be in the Turbo packs if they didn't know it.

The programmers should wake up and realize it's the year 2009. Get your product in front of HD viewers who tend to be more affluent and therefore more likely to actually buy one of your advertisers products. Unfortunately, all they care about is more total viewers because more viewers means they can command more money for ad space.

IMHO Dish should create one stand alone HD only package at a good price. No guarantees about future channels, etc. Just say here is our HD only package and here is the price. AND DON'T ABANDON THE PACKAGE.

With the TurboHD "presence" on Dish's website diminishing ... I think it is only a matter of time for the death of TurboHD ... the writing is on the wall ...

\
Dish network should never have marketed the Turbo Packages as a HD only equivalent of other packages or promised that all new additions would be in the Turbo packs if they didn't know it.

The programmers should wake up and realize it's the year 2009. Get your product in front of HD viewers who tend to be more affluent and therefore more likely to actually buy one of your advertisers products. Unfortunately, all they care about is more total viewers because more viewers means they can command more money for ad space.

Agreed on both fronts - although if it was Dish's intent from the beginning to give all the HD channels to TurboHD packages, I can't fault them too heavily for saying that - this is part of the risk of being the first to try something. They probably been more proactive in at least approaching all the providers, even the ones who they weren't ready to fully negotiate with.

I know it's popular (and not totally unfounded) to just assume that this is all about Dish's bottom line, but if it were all about that, then there's no doubt in my mind that once Viacom launched and there were now a bunch of channels not available in the base Turbo packages that there would have been a new add-on to get the missing channels. The fact that that hasn't happened is a tell-tale sign to me that the providers are, at least in significant part, the issue here.

Well this sucks. I guess I gotta spend $20/mo to get FXHD in the fall :(

There's online streaming, torrents, and iTunes/Amazon. The first two cost $0. I refuse to pay to watch a couple of shows I can view at my leisure online. If people would get with the program and get updated to HD, we could dispense with all this SD horsecrap channels. My brother and SIL have a 65-inch 1080p LCD and don't even get HD service from D*. It's mindboggling to me.

So as far as we know these are all rumors?

Why would the new 922K have "Turbo HD" on it if they are pulling the plug on that package.

These Turbo HD packages seem to be one of the good attributes that distinguish Dish from Directv.

These Turbo HD packages seem to be one of the good attributes that distinguish Dish from Directv.
I totally agree...TurboHD is the reason I left DirecTV. It appears Dish Network is too cheap to keep the packages up to date (despite the fact they jacked of the prices of these packages more than any others) but maybe their plan all along was just to use them while they could to get people to defect from other providers and get locked into 2-years deals. If they don't do something to fix the TurboHD packages soon, then I think they will lose a lot of TurboHD subs in the long run. In the short term (while under contract) they might switch to Classic+HD packages, but they won't forget how Dish Network screwed them over when their contract expires. :rant:

As much as I love my Absolute HD, common sense tells me that the main issue MUST be the content providers. Otherwise, D* would have a competing HD-only package ( You know Charlie isn't going to be a loss-leader just to offer a unique package... ;) ). And, let's face it, history has shown that D* will work a deal while Charlie haggles interminably.

I continue to be a E* customer because of the Absolute package and their DVRs. Take one or both away, and I would have to look closer at the competition - but would likely walk away from satellite TV. I just can't justify the package prices for the minimal TV I watch.

IMHO Dish should create one stand alone HD only package at a good price. .
Of course, Dish already did this right when they created the original HD Absolute package.
No guarantees about future channels, etc. Just say here is our HD only package and here is the price.
But the Dish marketing folks just couldn't stop themselves from fiddling with a unique package that was simple to understand, well priced, etc . So they introduced 3 new Turbo HD only packages, plus a 4th add on HD package, with names that simply don't make sense*.
AND DON'T ABANDON THE PACKAGE.
Sadly, Dish has already abandoned HD Absolute :( No telling how they will handle the current Turbo HD (only) packages when they finally, publicly fess up to their marketing blunder.

Talon Dancer - HD Absolute sub since it's inception :)

* Let's see. Turbo HD Bronze, Silver, Gold, & Platinum. And Platinum is the "add-on" package to ANY of the other three. Yep that's exactly what I would expect :rolleyes:

So as far as we know these are all rumors?

Why would the new 922K have "Turbo HD" on it if they are pulling the plug on that package.

They are still calling the HD Add-on to the classic channels 'Turbo', so that doesn't help the issue. I think I heard Charlie call it that in the last Charlie Chat, but I don't want to look it up so take it with a grain of salt.

Why was Dish able to get all HD channels in the Turbo HD packages prior to Fox News? Why were all those earlier addition channels ok with HD only packages but then all of a sudden channel owners are not allowing it?

If the issue is supposed to be the broadcasters not wanting their channel in an HD only package, then why did channels like MTV-HD & VH1-HD make it into the HD Absoluete package? Seems like dish is trying to pull a fast one. I'm NOT very happy with this!

If the issue is supposed to be the broadcasters not wanting their channel in an HD only package, then why did channels like MTV-HD & VH1-HD make it into the HD Absoluete package? Seems like dish is trying to pull a fast one. I'm NOT very happy with this!

Um, they didn't? Absolute customers are reporting they basically get the equivalent of Turbo HD Gold + Platinum. So, any Absolute customer that has them has a magical Absolute account, much like my magical Turbo Silver account which still somehow gets everything.

And really, even if they had, Absolute isn't an active package that people can subscribe to, and I doubt the current number of subscribers to the package is enough that the providers would raise a stink. The issue for the providers would be if Turbo HD packages took off and their subscriber numbers dropped on the SD channels they want to bundle with their popular stuff.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts