Turbo PQ

I have to agree with the other people, HD PQ looks better to me. Turbo code is for real and according to channel 75 this enhancment is new. During 2003 I think E* had 1 transponder that was 8PSK (pretty sure it was non turbo code). Full 8PSK transition is not that old and did not happen till after EchoStar X was launched.

I agree with Scott who said "I will admit though that Dish Networks new HBO suite and Encore / STarz channels look amazing".
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-vs-directv-war-zone/144153-my-second-impression-e-hd-v-d-hd-3.html#post1469764

what is the update cause I still have L512 for my 622. I can't see 501 on the program guide, but I can tune to it.

Oh, wait, it tunes to 502 n/m

I have to agree with the other people, HD PQ looks better to me. Turbo code is for real and according to channel 75 this enhancment is new. During 2003 I think E* had 1 transponder that was 8PSK (pretty sure it was non turbo code). Full 8PSK transition is not that old and did not happen till after EchoStar X was launched.

I agree with Scott who said "I will admit though that Dish Networks new HBO suite and Encore / STarz channels look amazing".
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-ne...ond-impression-e-hd-v-d-hd-3.html#post1469764

:up:up:up:up:up:up:up

I, too, was surprised to notice improvement in HD PQ on some channels, especially ESPN and Encore HD and a few others. So good, one could see the imperfections of the chemical medium, film, master on some channels.

I believe Dish did indeed alter the software on the HD boxes, most likely higher efficiency throughput, my non-believing friends, with the necessary hardware for this more complex and demanding turbo-coding already in the HD boxes. It is real, rest assured. That is how one can improve PQ using the same limited bandwidth without having to compress any less. In fact, depending on the efficiency of the throughput, one can compress even more and still get some improvement in PQ. Perhaps they will explain it on the forthcoming Tech Forum.

The pq now is a little better than before specially programs that were shot in HD, they look amazing. It could just be my eyes but TBS looks better now...

For those that think the PQ is better, do you have previously recorded versions of the same program to compare to? Otherwise you are just guessing.

And I do not believe anywhere in Dish's advertising for TurboHD do they claim IMPROVED picture quality. "cutting edge" and "superior picture" are just marketing terms to sell the product. The claims that I see they are making in all the ads (TV, radio, newspaper, etc) for Turbo are HD only packages with X number of channels and 1080p VOD. Nothing mentioned about IMPROVED picture quality.

But I do agree that no one really knows what TurboHD means. My opinion is it has nothing to do with PQ, rather it is as advertised...more HD channels, HD only packages and 1080p VOD equal to Blu-Ray quality (again more marketing).

I am fairly new to this, so I may be completely wrong here, but I would imagine that even with this new Turbo-charged coding business they would still have to change the video streams themselves for any significant change in PQ. For instance if they start shifting from MPEG2 to MPEG4, they could indeed get more quality for less bandwidth, which I believe is what D* is either doing now or plans to do soon, correct?

Also, from a personal standpoint, I haven't seen any change in PQ from existing channels. As for some of the newer channels, my wife was watching LifetimeHD just a couple nights ago and the picture was horrible, it kept artifacting and color-distorting during fast-motion scenes. Can anyone else confirm this?

I don't believe there is any such thing as turbo-charged coding. The new channels are 8PSK MPEG-4. It's been around for a long time.

MPEG-4 encryption does appear to do a better job of delivering a crisp picture than MPEG-2 does and at about 1/2 the bandwidth.

Of course, my 622 still has L512, so I could be all out in the weeds on this one.

Just being skeptical from years of experience with Dish.

No way is Turbo coding a new thing that has improved all the HD channels. Pure fiction. I do have a Turbo PQ question for all-

We have all heard the 1080p VOD is supposed to be bluray quality. What about the other HD VOD's on Ch501? They are 1080i, but at what quality? Have they ever been purported to be better than regular HD PPV?

We have had picture quality improvements with software updates in the past. Why is it out of the realm of possibilities that in enabling 1080p they introduced some better code?

No way is Turbo coding a new thing that has improved all the HD channels. Pure fiction.
Please provide links to prove that Dish has not released an improved version of the 8PSK-TC modulation.

I do have a Turbo PQ question for all-We have all heard the 1080p VOD is supposed to be bluray quality. What about the other HD VOD's on Ch501? They are 1080i, but at what quality? Have they ever been purported to be better than regular HD PPV?

The new HDVOD is a download, not streaming, therefore the bitrate and resolution can be the same as BD.

If the standard HDVOD is an instant streaming presentation, then it is the reduced resolution/bitrate HD we have been getting in the past, with possibly the new "Turbo" improvement allowing maybe an improvement in one or the other factors mentioned before.

I don't believe there is any such thing as turbo-charged coding...Just being skeptical from years of experience with Dish.

From the Broadcom website:

BCM4500
8PSK/TC Advanced Modulation Satellite Receiver
The BCM4500 is a single chip digital satellite receiver supporting QPSK, 8PSK and 16QAM modulations with iteratively (turbo) decoded error correction coding. It represents an industry milestone in terms of satellite system throughput and operating points. The BCM4500 also receives DVB, DIRECTV and Digichiper II (DCII) QPSK signals to support legacy system operation.

The BCM4500 contains dual 7-bit A/D converters, an all-digital variable rate BPSK / QPSK / 8PSK / 16QAM receiver, an advanced modulation turbo FEC decoder, and a DVB / DIRECTV / DCII compliant FEC decoder. All required RAM is integrated and all required clocks are generated on chip from a single reference crystal. Baseband I/Q analog waveforms are sampled by the integrated 7-bit A/D converters, resampled by integrated interpolative digital filter banks, and filtered by dual square-root Nyquist filters. Optimized soft decisions are then fed into either a DVB / DIRECTV / DCII compliant FEC decoder, or an advanced modulation turbo decoder. The final error-corrected output is delivered in MPEG-2 or DIRECTV transport format. The output clock is generated by an on-chip PLL for low jitter operation and glueless integration with Broadcom's BCM7020 HD graphics and video subsystem.The BCM4500 contains a microcontroller which implements a high level language interface for easy host software development. It also contains an integrated DiSEqCTM controller for two way communication with LNB.

Features
- QPSK, 8PSK and 16 QAM Modulation with turbo code FEC
- Backwards compatable with existing DVB-S, DIRECTV and Digipher II QPSK systems
- MPEG-2 or DIRECTV output interface with output clock PLL
- On-chip Microcontroller for Acquisition & Tracking

I think we must all try to keep an open mind. I did a side by side MPEG4 HD PQ comparison a few days ago before the turbo charge, between E* and D*, I will do the same thing tonight to see if their is any improvement on E*, because I have D* for reference.

They could have installed new MPEG4 equipment, it has happened a few times before.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)