TurboHD w/ Comcast internet in an Apartment

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

thedude19

Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Hello everyone,

My first post here, been reading for a while.

Comcast's prices have gone out of my price range now for what I want, and Im very interested in switching to TurboHD.

First, my setup, then my question.

1 HDTV, 1 SDTV (Seperate rooms)
1 bedroom apartment, cable connections in living room (HD) and bedroom (SD)
Balcony for dish installation (Others in my complex have directv, so I know i'm allowed)

Now on to my question. I'd like to keep my Comcast internet and cancel my TV with them (digital + hd + dvr is way too expensive after the 6 month promotion, which is approaching for me)

Given the wiring in my apartment, is it possible for me to have dish and comcast internet? How exactly would the dish hook up to my tv's? (there are no connections on my balcony)

Thanks for the help in advance,

Gary

Correct me if i am wrong, but i think that Comcast is giving you a $10-15 discount on your internet by having the cable TV, so if you get rid of TV, your internet goes up by $10-15 a month. That may eliminate all your savings from switching.

When I left Comcast, I switched to a 3mbs DSL thru my phone company and got Dish and saved about $30/Month, but i wouldnt of saved anything if i would of stayed with Comcast for internet.

Correct me if i am wrong, but i think that Comcast is giving you a $10-15 discount on your internet by having the cable TV, so if you get rid of TV, your internet goes up by $10-15 a month. That may eliminate all your savings from switching.

When I left Comcast, I switched to a 3mbs DSL thru my phone company and got Dish and saved about $30/Month, but i wouldnt of saved anything if i would of stayed with Comcast for internet.

Actually, I'm paying around 100 bucks for Internet, Digital, Hd, HDDVR for the first 6 months. After that, it jumps to around $140/month.

Internet only with Comcast is $42/month

TurboHD for me will be 45 or so (depending on which one, + locals and dvr). So it will be even less than my Promotional 6 month comcast deal.

Edit: Also, I don't have home phone through anyone, so DSL is out of the question I think.

You may want to check that price on internet, i know it used be discounted to that $42 a month price for having TV service... just double check your bills and ask questions, so your not surprised. It used to be 39.99/54.99 pricing... so i would be careful on that.

As for not having a phone, call your local phone co and ask for Naked DSL, they may offer DSL without phone service.. just some of the options i researched when i did exactly what your doing 2 years ago.

You may want to check that price on internet, i know it used be discounted to that $42 a month price for having TV service... just double check your bills and ask questions, so your not surprised. It used to be 39.99/54.99 pricing... so i would be careful on that.

As for not having a phone, call your local phone co and ask for Naked DSL, they may offer DSL without phone service.. just some of the options i researched when i did exactly what your doing 2 years ago.

That's a really good idea. I'm perfectly OK with DSL, especially for ~$30/month. That plus TurboHD sounds like a great deal. I just figured I was unable to because I don't have phone service. I will look into that.

Any idea on how the Dish installation would work with the Dish being on my balcony? Thanks again

Your cable modem might work sharing a line, but you have to figure out how you get into the apartment from the balcony and where you can intercept the incoming CATV. In most cases, it doesn't make sense to try to cut into the house cabling system.

I'd suggest trying a wireless setup between the living room and the bedroom.

The condo I live in has dual wiring into my unit: one line from Comcast and one from Dish.

As far as the Comcast line is concerned, i just have the internet plus the lowest tier of video they offer, which is a lower price than the internet with no video service, and this is not a promotional discount.

If your Dish goes on your balcony, the installer will not be tapping into your prewired outlets anyway. Those cables usually run to a junction point that is nowhere near your balcony, and is most often locked.

What I do on most apartments with a balcony install is, I run a cable through the wall, directly off to side of the sliding glass door, at the bottom, on the side that typically shares a wall between the living room and a bedroom. I Diplex at this point and run a cable below the sliding glass door, to the first TV, and run my second cable through the wall to the bedroom. This is easily fixed when the tenant moves out with $2 worth of spackle.

You shouldn't have issues keeping Comcast.... something else to look at is keeping local channels from Comcast. This typically costs about $7.... and allows you to keep the discounted price on the Internet... saving you about $8.

There is nothing wrong with DSL these days though... it is WAY better than it use to be. I have 6mb DSL and I only pay $35 /month wihout a promotion and it works perfectly.

hey there got i quick question. i live in a condo building i have comcast in the process of get dish installed i wanted to keep the comcast internet and have the dish for video. My place is prewired for cable throughout the condo i have a junction box in one of the rooms, the dish is hooked up on the roof of the building the wire was run to the cable room of the building is there any way to have both signals to run on the same line. some kind of switch type of a box?????????

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)