Turn off SD locals for? to get 'em in HD?!

old corps

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 13, 2005
Mid-Michigan
Just called Dish to get my recently available locals in HD. I get an AMERICAN that immediately tells me that I can get the dish I need installed for free, no $60 or mention of a new commitment. I'm happy, right? NO. I'm then told they have to shut off my SD locals and there is NO way to tell me when they will be able to get here for the install and until then I'll have NO Dish locals. WTF??? The wife watches her morning shows every day that are locals so I tell 'em to forget it. Is this correct? I hadn't seen this mentioned before here. Sure doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.:rolleyes:

Ed

Just called Dish to get my recently available locals in HD. I get an AMERICAN that immediately tells me that I can get the dish I need installed for free, no $60 or mention of a new commitment. I'm happy, right? NO. I'm then told they have to shut off my SD locals and there is NO way to tell me when they will be able to get here for the install and until then I'll have NO Dish locals. WTF??? The wife watches her morning shows every day that are locals so I tell 'em to forget it. Is this correct? I hadn't seen this mentioned before here. Sure doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.:rolleyes:

Ed

Makes no sense to me. . . . . .

I have the OTA locals, the SD locals and the Dish HD locals all remapped to the local channels numbers. Try another CSR, maybe one from India could do better than your American. Other than their English, most people from India are smarter than Americans anyway.

I have the OTA locals, the SD locals and the Dish HD locals all remapped to the local channels numbers. Try another CSR, maybe one from India could do better than your American. Other than their English, most people from India are smarter than Americans anyway.

I resemable that statement.

:DLMAO!

Ed

UPDATE! After sending an email to the ceo I received a phone call from the executive office informing me that they'd like to come out Sunday A.M. to do the install and they would NOT be turning off my SD locals beforehand. No charge and no further commitment and I was never asked for either. AMAZING. I'm still in shock!:up

Ed

That is because the executive office actually has someone with Common Sense . THere is a definate gap between the ceo and the front line csrs from either America or India.

Even the tech department has gotten a bit more dense lately. I tried to talk to a tech the other night and it was an Indian named "BOB", Right! More like Bobaloopa Ally Bob. I ended up having to email the ceo@echostar.com to get a simple replacement on a bad dvr. The tech was insisting that I be in front of the tv screen to read the information off the screen. I had informed him at least twice, that this was an account in my name for my Aunt in Arkansas and I was in Southeast Texas and could not look at the screen. He couldn't help me he said so I had to write and email. THe next day the ceo responded and I got a FREE Replacement for my Aunt's 501 dvr and they applied a nice credit for my trouble.

If we could just get that kind of service from the front line csrs and techs ,DISH would have legendary support status in the industry.:eureka

Im gonna have to try ceo@echostar. I called yesterday and setup an appointment for 5-10 to get the 61.5 dish. Got home last night and had NO sd locals and the OTA locals had no guide data. Called today(system was down last night) and she said that I would lose the locals in sd until the work order was complete, so I had them cancel it. I mean how fracking stupid is this.

VERY! Hope the ceo takes care of you like they did me. They're SUPPOSED to be here Sunday morning to take care of me. Still have my SD locals & guide info.

Ed

Yepp, she did. I was called back within 90 minutes, she stated that it was a system problem that a regular csr could not work around. Basically, when they add the HD work order, it cancelled my locals subscription and no csr could get me both an install for 61.5 and allow me to keep my sd locals and OTA guide. After about 5 minutes, this lady got it all worked out with my sd locals and my appt is set for 5-10 again. AWESOME!

Good deal, happy for ya.:) The original csr I had even put me on hold and tried to get someone above him to take care of it--no dice. Hopefully, I'll have my HD locals via Dish Sunday. I've got 'em OTA but they're not reliable in bad, windy weather.

Ed

Just called Dish to get my recently available locals in HD. I get an AMERICAN that immediately tells me that I can get the dish I need installed for free, no $60 or mention of a new commitment. I'm happy, right? NO. I'm then told they have to shut off my SD locals and there is NO way to tell me when they will be able to get here for the install and until then I'll have NO Dish locals. ...
The amazing thing is that the service (or lack there of) is so variable, especially since it seems the CSR's are "reading from a script". Maybe instead of scripts, Dish should provide their CSRs with decision tree diagrams :)

FWIW I switched from the At100+HD+locals package to the DishHD (only) package a few days after it was available with no hassle. And Dish installed my 61.5 wing dish with only a little hassle (over $). I called on the Thursday after the Austin HD locals went live and it was installed that Saturday AM for free w/ no commitment. The SD locals stayed live the whole time.

Talon Dancer

Last edited:
I had the same thing happen to me when I ordered my HD Locals. They shut down my SD locals. I just called back and demanded to speak to a supervisor. After getting about 3 different people I finally got someone who could keep my SD Locals turned on and still schedule an appointment for my second dish.

i talked to tech support over the online chat and he setup my HD install and i kept locals. Didnt have a bit of trouble on that end (trouble came from the installer. apparently i was the first person scheduled for HD locals and they had no clue about it)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)