Turn TV on and off remotely?

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
So I know this is the Dish forum but maybe somebody here has a solution for me. We have a large Vizio TV at work that I need to turn off and on remotely, or on a schedule. The TV itself only has a sleep timer, and a smart plug won't work because restoring power to the TV doesn't turn it on. The TV does have a UHF remote, so I'm wondering if there might be some kind of UHF blaster which can be controlled remotely? Anybody have any ideas?

Does it also have an IR remote sensor? If so, there are a few universal remotes that have a built in clock that can be programmed to send to on command at a particular time every day (or just every week day) and an off command every day as well. I actually use one of these at home.

Alternately, does it have an IP connection? Can you connect that way and send it commands (like on and off) over the web? I know that some LG and some Sharp TVs have this, but I don't know if any Vizio TVs do. (I do know that my Vizio does not.)

Harmony Hub with the smartphone Harmony app should work to manually turn the TV on and off, assuming you can access your office network remotely. Someone smarter than me might know how to set a timer to do that automatically. I didn't find a Harmony forum here.

Harmony Hub

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I'm assuming the phone needs to be on the same wifi network as the TV, though?

And, I assume that you could port forward the TV out to the world wide web. Quite possibly, the phone app wouldn't be able to deal with an external IP address, however if you can find out what commands to send, you could probably do it from a script running on a PC. You might check some Vizio forums for specifics on your particular model. I wanted to do it with my Vizio (like I did before with the Sharp), but while mine has an IP connection, it does not allow any control over IP.

Last edited:
Reactions: comfortably_numb
So I went into my Harmony app, created an event with the TV. Went to the "Schedule" tab, set a start time, days of the week, then a stop time and days. Now it fires off automatically without me or my phone having to do anything.

So I went into my Harmony app, created an event with the TV. Went to the "Schedule" tab, set a start time, days of the week, then a stop time and days. Now it fires off automatically without me or my phone having to do anything.
But you need the Harmony remote to face the TV for it to work? I guess if you had a Harmony Hub that would work UHF or remotely...

I’m not familiar with Harmony. How does that work and what equipment would I need to do what you did?

I think all you would need is the Harmony Hub (about $90), if you have an iPhone or Android phone. The hub has to have infrared line of sight to my TV. Yours might be different.
Line of sight isn't entirely necessary. The Harmony Hub IR is strong enough to bounce off the ceiling or wall to control devices. The Hub also has the capability to control devices using RF, Bluetooth and IP if your device supports them. Refurb hubs go for significantly less than $90

For some reason I'm not seeing a picture. IFTTT stands for "if this then that" basically it triggers different actions based on certain criteria. For example one trigger could be location. If I get within a certain distance of my house my TV and hughs lights turn on automatically.

Thanks for all the advice. I bought the Harmony Hub, ran the IR blaster to the front of the TV, successfully created 2 on/off events for 2 different days, and all is working just as I had hoped.

IMG_0037.png
IMG_0038.png

Reactions: mdonnelly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts