Turning on subtitles/cc with one button?

nyvram

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Is there not any way to do this? I can't tell you how frustrating it is to wade through the menus to find and activate the cc on or off on my 722.

I have a Harmony that I'm about to make my primary remote and if I can't find a way to get the cc on and off with a single button I'm not optimistic I can do it with the Harmony either.

Why is this so buried? Why isn't it as simple as on/off? I have kids and when they go to bed and I've got the tv on low and miss some of the dialog I either have to back it up and strain to hear it or hit like 15 buttons to dig this setting out of the menu and change it.

Any suggestions?

"I can't tell you how frustrating it is to wade through the menus to find and activate the cc on or off on my 722"

I agree. I don't think there is another way though. Hopefully someone here will prove me wrong though....

(Hate to admit it, but I use CC for Torchwood and Dr Who because I have trouble with the English accents sometimes - lol)

Yes they should have a one button option (they could use the "page down" button).

You shouldn't exaggerate though, it's ONLY four button presses: menu-8-7-1

Yes they should have a one button option (they could use the "page down" button).

You shouldn't exaggerate though, it's ONLY four button presses: menu-8-7-1

..then right arrow, then up arrow, then click, then right arrow to 'done' then backing out to the main show again. Maybe I'm missing a shortcut..and I haven't gotten trained to hit the # buttons yet so I'm scrolling up & down the option tree as well..its more like 10-15 clicks for me.

If you can turn cc on in 4 clicks and be BACK to watching your show I'll be impressed. Its been my experience that even after you get to the right sub menu, you still have to click around to change it and back out...

The real problem is that the ATSC committee broke CC for digital signals.

With the older sd receivers and the sd outputs of sd shows on the hd boxes, you can use the cc on the TV set. Now, you need to enable it at the source, as it doesn't flow into the datastream.

If you think you have it bad, consider my current solution with Comcast's HD DVR. I need to turn the DVR off, then press the info button to get the configuration screen. A half dozen down buttons, enter, a couple more downs, enter, back, back, save and then power on again. Who's going to do that regularly? Oh yeah, forget it on recorded shows. Can't get there from here.

If you can turn cc on in 4 clicks and be BACK to watching your show I'll be impressed. Its been my experience that even after you get to the right sub menu, you still have to click around to change it and back out...

You can get out in one click by hitting the "view live tv" button (even if you're watching a recording, so the name isn't accurate), but yeah it's a stupid design. Dish should've implemented it just like a TV: one button to turn CC on and off, menus to set the numerous options that most people will never set.

Buying something is like a relationship. At first everything is beyond all your expectations then the small stuff starts to nag at you... ;-) I hope I don't sound too snippy, I do enjoy my setup..and as I add things (the remote control is worth its weight in gold) I start to expect everything to be handled by magic.

I'm gonna try & set up a macro on the harmony..if it can be shortcut into 4-5 clicks, maybe that will do it. My only concern is when you go to the cc screen, you have to move over and then select either the 'cc on' or 'cc off' option. That bit of complexity might make it difficult to do with a single button macro. I might have to have one that turns it on, and another that turns it off. :\

I'll let you know if I find something taht works & post it here.

Ok, forget it. The harmony won't handle all of the commands needed to do this in a single button. Its limited to 5. Here is what you have to set up:

- click menu
- click 8
- click 7
- click 1
- click directionleft
- click select
- click directionright
- click select
- click 'livetv'

9 separate button presses is the shortest I can do this in so it takes 2 separate 'sequences' in harmony and 2 seperate buttons mapped to each half of the sequence.

I give up.

I use a Harmony remote and just scheduled a couple of macros to do it. works great.

If anyone needs some help just pm me and I will try to get back asap

It works..kind of. I have 2 buttons mapped..one does the first 5 commands..the second does the next 4.

Its actually more trouble to sit & wait & time when I need to hit the second command than if I just do it myself so I think in this case manual is going to be the way to go. :(

I agree. It would be nice to have a single button on the remote for this.

I have a $25 dvd player that has a single button on the remote and I can toggle cc off and on for a dvd.

Note that only one sequence is needed--on and off just toggle. When you get to the on/off menu left arrow selects the opposite to the current state, so no up/down is needed. In fact doing an up/down will wrap around and select the current state. Unfortunately you cannot hit view until you are back on the right side and hit done putting you out to the main CC level.
-Ken

Note that only one sequence is needed--on and off just toggle. When you get to the on/off menu left arrow selects the opposite to the current state, so no up/down is needed. In fact doing an up/down will wrap around and select the current state. Unfortunately you cannot hit view until you are back on the right side and hit done putting you out to the main CC level.
-Ken

Yes and no..i need a 'sequence 1' and 'seuqnece 2' not b/c of the toggle you mention, but because it truncates me to 5 IR 'clicks' per sequence. What is up with that? How much ram does this remote have? 2k?

:p

... they could use the "page down" button...
Yep, and that's what the DTVPal does when not viewing some list - e.g. the guide. Can anyone think of a reason why this: (1) could not be done with a software update, (2) would interfere with any other function?

Here's a chance for Dish to excel...

And the one button cc may be an accessibility issue requirement under the telecommunications act. The ability to easily access closed captioning has always been a problem with the Dish receivers.

JC:confused:

On the one hand I applaud DISH for adding this back after the ATSC dropped the ball.

On the other hand, I really don't get why its not more available. I would think the ADA or Section 508 compliance would dictate making this easier to access. Seems odd that the DISH remote has a dozen buttons I never use but no way to quickly toggle this on/off.

Before I got HD I had my TV set to cc on mute -- and if I couldn't get some dialog I would just mute and rewind and read it -- mute was a single-button solution. Since the HD conversion I have tried the same thing a few times and it has sometimes worked and sometimes not. It could be what a previous commenter said that this strategy will now only work for SD content. I'll expirament tonight, but this is a good solution at least for some content.

If anyone wants it here is how I wrote my macros for CC

I use the 550 but I believe most of them are similar. I am writing this from my office and my remote is home so I will do my best to run through the steps properly. I am going to assume that you have your dishnetwork activity already set up.

1) open your Harmony Remote software on your computer that you will update from
2)click on the "customize button" on your Dish activity screen
3)on this screen it will open to "standard buttons" tab, click the "additional buttons" tab. This is the page where the items show up on your little screen on your remote.
4)Let's start by hitting the "add sequence" button on the bottom left hand corner of the screen.
5) in the box under sequence I just put in "CC", under device click the dropdown box and pick your "PVR" (it may be named differntly for you but it's the Dish box) for all five boxes.
6)Under "command" and going straight down pick these items in order in the drop down boxes "Menu" "8" "7" "1" "DirectionLeft"
7)go down to the next sequence and under "sequence" put in "CC2" (it has to be different from the first)
8) Under "Device" in each tab going down put "PVR" like you did in the previous sequence
9) Under "Command" going straight down in the dropdown boxes put "Select" "DirectionRight" "Select" "View" "Cancel"
10) On the bottom right of the page click "Done" then on the next page click "Additional Buttons" again
11) If you have nothing under page 1 then start there otherwise go to the first available page.
12) Page 1 number 1 under "label" type "CC" under dropdown "Device" pick "sequence" under dropdown "Command" pick "CC"
13) Page 1 number 2 under "label" type "CC2" under dropdown "Device" pick "sequence" under dropdown "Command" pick "CC2"
14) In the lower right hand corner hit "Done"
15) Update your remote

because they only give you five spaces when you make a sequence it is necessary to use two buttons. First hit "CC"and it will bring you to the CC screen on your TV (really the Dish box) with the cursor on whichever selecton is not currently selected. Next hit "CC2" button and it will select the option and take you out to regular tv screen with no banners.

If anyone needs clarification or help just pm me

I am sure that I have many spelling errors and such, no time to fix...I think it gets the idea across

thats exactly what i did. Its a little cumbersome..i wish it would go through those 'clicks' faster and I'm having to use *2* buttons.

Why does harmony cut off sequencing at 5 clicks? Seems like a very silly limitation.

Well if we keep after dish I am sure that they will add it to the new remotes but I really doubt the could remap the old remotes. That sequence is the best way that I can find for now and it sure beats hitting all the buttons manually on the remote, especially in the dark.

Everyone email into here http://www.ada.gov/ and to ceo@echostar.com and maybe we will get somewhere

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)