Turning TV off after pairing old 40 remote with Toshiba Fire TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

RemoteChaser

Original poster
Dec 11, 2020
I have a Hopper with Sling that is connected to a Toshiba Fire TV. I use an old 40.0 remote. The TV on/off button of the remote works fine to wake the tv up. The TV seems wants to turn off to Standby (which is what I want). If I use the TV off button after pairing the remote with the TV, the TV tries to shutdown and asks are you sure you want to shut down? The only way to exit the question (with yes or cancel) once it comes up is by using the TV remote. I can put the tv into standby using a Alexa command. Is there anyway to use the dish remote to put the tv in standby instead of shutdown. If you ignore the "are you sure you want to shut down" and put the tv in standby using Alexa, when the TV wakes up the question is still there. IMPORTANT: The person using the remote is elderly and visually impaired. I am looking specifically for a way to put the tv in stand by and wake it up using the Dish remote that does not involve toggling between the SAT button and the TV button.

I tried that and it didn't work.
The remote that comes with the Toshiba is an Alexa Voice remote. There is no obvious power down button on the remote. The power button puts it in standby. If you press and hold the power button on the Toshiba remote it eventually tries to power down the TV (after asking if you are sure you want to). When I try to "teach" the 40.0 remote it says to hold down the button on the TV remote you are trying to learn from. Unfortunately, it needs to learn from the power button.

I am sure there are many newer TVs that go to standby instead of shutdown. Does this problem happen often when pairing the dish remote with a newer TV. It seems to be a communication problem where the dish remote is sending some sort of "Shut down" signal instead of an alternative "Standby" command.

The remote that comes with the Toshiba is an Alexa Voice remote. There is no obvious power down button on the remote. The power button puts it in standby. If you press and hold the power button on the Toshiba remote it eventually tries to power down the TV (after asking if you are sure you want to). When I try to "teach" the 40.0 remote it says to hold down the button on the TV remote you are trying to learn from. Unfortunately, it needs to learn from the power button.

I am sure there are many newer TVs that go to standby instead of shutdown. Does this problem happen often when pairing the dish remote with a newer TV. It seems to be a communication problem where the dish remote is sending some sort of "Shut down" signal instead of an alternative "Standby" command.

Just to finish the story. I returned the Toshiba Fire TV and got a Vizio smart TV and had no problems pairing it. I believe the problem is from the Toshiba side of things: namely, if you buy a tv with the alexa remote, you want to talk to it. Everything works fine talking to it, so the philosophy is why worry about pairing it with the satellite remote.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts