Tv #2 HD?

RichManitoba

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2010
Madison, WI
I did a quick search, but couldn't find a thread.....is there a way to make TV2 HD (1080)? I'm considering a man-cave build. TV #2 would be on a lower lever about 20 feet from a VIP 222K or 40 feet from a VIP 722. (*I have TV2 hooked up currently, but it's an old 35" Toshiba tube.) I'm not totally sold on the Hopper yet, but I won't invest in a new 55" + if there's no option.

Thanks.

If by "TV2" you mean the second independent feed from an integrated DVR, then the Hopper/Joey is your only choice. If you can live with mirroring TV1 or losing your DVR integration, then mirroring TV1 or getting a 2nd HD receiver would be your other options.

Although TV2 can generate an HD feed, you can't access in in a residential install. In commercial installs, 1 222 can generate 2 HD channels, but that wont help you. You could of course mirror TV1 with a long HDMI or something. A Hopper/Joey would run $11 more per month than a 722, that is what I would recommend if you want to get a 55 HD set downstairs. Actually a 1H/3J could replace your 722&222 for I think only $8 more a month.

Ha! I didn't know that about commercial 222's; I thought the hardware limited HD output to TV1.

Anyhow, in general, there is no way to get HD out of TV2 on a 722/k other than the Sling Adapter and a fairly muscular HTPC as a target. The Sling Extender was cancelled reputedly because of unpredictable performance over wifi. If there is any way to get a Logitech Revue to function as a Sling Extender, I haven't heard of it. (Dish has inhibited installation of the Chrome DRA client on the Revue.)

Well it makes sense that the 222 somehow manages to output 2HD since with the dual-tuner DVRs you can record HD on both tuners but can't get HD on TV2 because of the lack of HD output. My question is how do they accomplish HD output on TV2 with the 222?

I did a quick search, but couldn't find a thread.....is there a way to make TV2 HD (1080)? I'm considering a man-cave build. TV #2 would be on a lower lever about 20 feet from a VIP 222K or 40 feet from a VIP 722. (*I have TV2 hooked up currently, but it's an old 35" Toshiba tube.) I'm not totally sold on the Hopper yet, but I won't invest in a new 55" + if there's no option.

Thanks.

It sounds like you have two existing receivers I assume feeding HDTVs. The man-cave would add/replace a third TV. 1 Hopper plus 2 Joeys would be a reasonable substitute if you can live without off-air tuners for now. Your current setup has 4 satellite tuners and you'd be dropping down to 3 tuners so that may also be a concern. It depends on how much the 222 location and your proposed man-cave will be used. 2 Hoppers plus 1 Joey would give you 6 tuners and is the same monthly cost as 1H+2J, but with an additional up-front cost for the second Hopper. You can get cost details from chat, phone-in or PM to a D.I.R.T member (look for their info on the top-most Forum page).

You an also mirror (same program) to additional locations by splitting HDMI or analog component if you will be watching in only one location at a time.

If you don't want the Hopper a 211 or 211K would be a good option. They can be made into a DVR for the cost of an external drive and a small fee to Dish.

Well it makes sense that the 222 somehow manages to output 2HD since with the dual-tuner DVRs you can record HD on both tuners but can't get HD on TV2 because of the lack of HD output. My question is how do they accomplish HD output on TV2 with the 222?

multiple 222s are in a rack connected via Ethernet cables to a "computer" that handles all the HD output. Very spendy HD head end system (SMATV system).

We have a 722 in the family room, and a 211k in the man cave. Works great. The services of the sling adapter on the 722, as well as a slingbox pro HD, are employed during football season so the man cave can be wall to wall NFL. All in HD, of course.