[TV] FIOS TV Install tomorrow! Any Questions?

RScottyL

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Irving, Texas
[TV] FIOS TV Install RESCHEDULED!!!!!!!

:mad: UPDATE: Well, the installer never did show up this morning, so I called to see what was happening. They said that somehow the order got cancelled. I was very upset, because I had been waiting for this since I heard about it in Keller, and I also just waisted a day off from work. Anyway, I spoke to a supervisor, and this wasn't the only one that it happened to. They said they were going to give me credit on my account, and they are rescheduling it for Monday, December 12 from 9am - 12pm.
I would suggest that you call everyday until your day of install to make sure the install is still scheduled.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
If there is any information you would like me to get from the installer, I will ask them questions. Please, no questions about when it is coming to your area, as they may not know. I could ask some technical questions about the service that has not been posted elsewhere.
I do plan to give a review of the install and the quality and everything afterwards. I also plan to see if I can connect the STB to my computer and see if it will allow me to capture video.
Any Questions?????????????????????

Last edited:
im just curious how verizon runs the internal house wires and the quality. Are they just like cable with staples all around and wire around the floors and then they run the wire up around door frams? Do they use RG-6? Also for fios internet do they rewire your phone lines in the house. I read somewhere that they needed to replace old telephone lines to each telephone but I forgot where i saw it. Thanks and good luck with the install

Are you getting the DVR? I am very interested in the features, quality, etc. of it. I am considering switching from Dish, but I kind of like my 522 DVR.

Does the installer know if a Series 1 Tivo has remote codes for whatever set top box they install?

I searched their web site for extra charges, such as DVR, extra receivers, etc., but could not find anything about this. What are the extra charges?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

shappyss said:
im just curious how verizon runs the internal house wires and the quality. Are they just like cable with staples all around and wire around the floors and then they run the wire up around door frams? Do they use RG-6? Also for fios internet do they rewire your phone lines in the house. I read somewhere that they needed to replace old telephone lines to each telephone but I forgot where i saw it. Thanks and good luck with the install

As a Fios internet customer, I'll jump in and try and answer some of your questions.

I don't know about RG-6 since I dont have TV yet. I believe they will re-use your existing cables if they are up-to-snuff. Whether RG-6 is required is something I don't know.

The method of cabling probably varies considerably. It all depends on the layout of your house and where you want the cables to go.

They definitely do not have to rewire your phone lines, provided that your existing lines are currently functional. Fios looks and feels like POTS as far as your phone wiring is concerned.

shappyss said:

With Verizon FIOS, it is FTTP (Fiber To The Premesis). They have fiber up to the side of the house, connected to the ONT. The ONT will split that fiber and have data connections (RJ45) in which they will run CAT5e cable to whatever room you want the router in. For Video, they do have a standand coax connection, in which they run an RG6 cable from the ONT to the inside of your house where your STB will go and connect it to the STB. I also understand that they will connect a CAT5e cable to the STB so you can order the VOD and also for the guide updates.

I will confirm all of this for my install this morning.

mrschwarz said:
Are you getting the DVR? I am very interested in the features, quality, etc. of it. I am considering switching from Dish, but I kind of like my 522 DVR.
Does the installer know if a Series 1 Tivo has remote codes for whatever set top box they install?
I searched their web site for extra charges, such as DVR, extra receivers, etc., but could not find anything about this. What are the extra charges?
Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Yes, I am getting the HD/DVR, which if I read correctly on other sites, should be a Motorola DCT6414 (140GB hard drive). If it is like my current Comcast Motorola DCT 6412, it should have two tuners in it also. It records an exact copy of the channel, so if the channel quality is not that great, there is no way it can improve it. This is usually only with the analog channels.

As far as the extra charges and stuff, here is a detailed price list.

Attachments

• FIOS TV Rates.pdf
    112.4 KB · Views: 789
Last edited:
hbk409 said:
any update yet?? probably to busy enjoying the view ;)

Yes, there was an update that I made in the original post at the beginning of this thread.

In short, my install got cancelled, but rescheduled for Dec 12! :mad: :mad:

peterl1365 said:
The method of cabling probably varies considerably. It all depends on the layout of your house and where you want the cables to go.
The general report seems to be that it's somewhere between new-home construction quality and what a cable or satellite installer will do. It seems that they will usually try to do hidden installs/wall fishes and going up into attic or crawl spaces generally isn't a problem. However time constraints and general accessability may limit exactly how far they will go. In those cases, it will be installed on the exterior of the house in an inconspicuous manner as possible.

If you know that you are going to have a very difficult run you'd be wise to run it yourself before hand if you want to guarantee how it will look in the end. This is what I did as I knew I would have 3 runs that would be nearly impossible to run via attics due to how the house was built. So before it became blistering cold outside I fished the cables under the siding around the house. Now all Verizon has to do is replace my DSL modem and router with the ONT and their router and nothing else.

RScottyL said:
Yes, there was an update that I made in the original post at the beginning of this thread.
In short, my install got cancelled, but rescheduled for Dec 12! :mad: :mad:

darn it, i was looking forward to hearing all about it.

korsjs said:
darn it, i was looking forward to hearing all about it.

I know, and I was hoping I could give a full review of it. Well, once they come here on Monday then I can let you know what I think. I am soooo ready to get rid of Comcast and their neverending price increases.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts