TV in Cabin

StarScan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 1, 2013
North Liberty, Indiana
Im wanting to put at least a 50" basic HDTV in my cabin. The cabin does not have heat unless I'm out there on weekends. What would be the best choice, LED, LCD, or should I stick with the old tube tv?

If you don't have a minimum temperature you can take to the bank, you should probably stay away from flat screens.

From a quick survey of owner's manuals, both LCD and OLED appear to have minimum operating temperatures that are above freezing and a top end of 104F (40C).

An LG OLED model (W7) and an LCD model that I looked at had a minimum storage temperature of -4F and a maximum of 140F (60C).

Note that putting any TV through a wide swing in temperature can be problematic in terms of mechanical stresses on the circuit boards and display panels.

I would also caution that you need to consider the temperature range of any batteries used as well.

Reactions: primestar31
Why not get a smaller tv, and carry it back and forth from your house to your cabin so it doesn't have to stay in the cold? They are very lightweight now, and it's nothing to carry even a 43" LED set back and forth.

I leave a Sharp and a no name LCD TVs in our RV over winter, not in use. Temps there can go below zero. No problems. Been there since 2008.

I wouldn’t worry, unless you go into double digits below zero. And don’t operate unless thawed for hours. Thermal shock and condensation must be kept in mind.

I’m more concerned about batteries. I don’t leave remotes there, nor UPSes, nor things using AA or AAAs.

Reactions: osu1991
I leave a 55" LCD in my tailgate trailer year round. It has been in there for at least 5 years. Still works fine. I wouldn't worry about it unless the cabin is somewhere that is going to have sustained sub zero temps for an extended period of time.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)