TV Japan is now in HD

Ya never know. Adding TVJ HD is kind of a big deal. It shows that Dish is willing to listen to its subs, and add new HD channels. With the looming removal of AMC, they may be looking at channels like FearNet to fill the hole left by IFC, Sundance, WE, and AMC.

I have a hunch they may leave HDNet at 130 for AT subs, not only in B@H, as a replacement channel, as well..

Oh s**t, don't get his hopes up!!! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
HDNet (the HD feed on 362) is already included in America's Top 120 with HD and Dish Latino Dos with HD. Please do not fall for Dish's high quality replacement.
Oh no. I'mnot falling for it. I didn't realize HDNet was already available to most packages. I wonder why they copied it at the old AMC location then. Weird.

On the Hopper, it's 623-1, because of the stupid nested channels "feature". And, by "feature", I mean "annoyance".

I thought TV Japan was free before?
Only the news programs were. The majority of the time, it was subscription @ $25/mo. It looks like they may have removed the free news. My theory is that it was in exchange for carrying it in HD. Just a theory, though.

GaryPen said:
Oh no. I'mnot falling for it. I didn't realize HDNet was already available to most packages. I wonder why they copied it at the old AMC location then. Weird.

It is weird. However, HDNet will be changing to AXS soon. From what I read online, Dish has already agreed to carry the SD feed of AXS along with the HD feed. SD only customers could see this as a new channel as HDNet was HD only before the downcoverted SD feed was added by Dish in AMC's spot (along with the HD feed soon after). However, this is not Dish's first time doing this. When Fuse was dropped, Dish "launched" Palladia according to a Dish press release in Fuse's old channel spot in SD only while the HD feed was also on 369. Later, Dish took away the Palladia SD replacement. Palladia HD can still be seen on Channel 369 as part of Blockbuster @ Home. I did notice that some DIRT members posted that Palladia returned back to its old package placement of AT 120 with HD. I cannot confirm if that is true.

FYI - TV Japan HD is now remapped to 623-2 on the Hopper. It is a completely different channel number than TV Japan in SD. This is most likely due to the way they need to be listed separately in the guide, with the SD version having some of its programming listed as "free".

SD/HD different channel numbers on VIP also.
Yes. But, they usually map HD channels down to match their SD counterparts'. In this case, I believe they need to keep them separate because of the separate guide entries.

For the first week or so, they were mapped together. But, those users who were subbed to TV Japan were no longer getting the free programs, as they were no longer listed in the guide. It appears they needed to separate them to restore that functionality.

Having TV Japan in HD was one of the reasons we selected Dish as we transitioned to the US (from Japan) and the Mrs. wanted TV. I felt the DVR was better than cable as well.

Yea it does look great. I see they changed the name of news programs to have free in front of them which messed up my timers. I infer from that non-subscribers can now see the news programs in HD (before it was listed with free in SD only).

I hope they didn't map the HD and SD to the same channel number on the Hopper again. It'll screw up all of my wife's timers...again.

They were originally both on 623-1, then they split them up to 623-1 and 623-2 in order to have two separate guide listings, which screwed up the new timers I made for 623-1 HD. If both channels have the same listings again, they might go back to 623-1 HD, which would render the timers set for 623-2 moot.

Unless Dish is planning on giving non subscribers the HD version of the free programming, I don't know why the same guide. (If it really is) Don't need the "Free" listed if you subscribe..... The HD version would be nice though...
While I'm asking (lol) would like them to carry the HD EuroNews..... and the other channels in the World pack....

Non subscribers now get it in HD! I have come to enjoy the newscasts and other free programming, now in HD!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)