TV Japan is now in HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
FYI - TV Japan is now available in HD!!!! Thank you Dish! It's on channel 623-1 for Hoppers. I think it may be 9981 for others.

I did make numerous requests for it, both through Dish and TV Japan. So, I'll let my wife think it was due to my efforts. Why not? :D

It's fantabulous.

The sad part is that Dishdid not notify us of the change. I found out about it from DBSTalk. (I was googling a different TV Japan topic, when I stumbled upon the DBSTalk link.)

I'm kinda surprised it wasn't on SatGuys first.

it was on the uplink on the 13th

9991 - TVJPN [MPEG4 HD] - Anik F3 118.7W TP 32 ConUS beam changed to Available (H) (TV Japan SAP)

it was on the uplink on the 13th

9991 - TVJPN [MPEG4 HD] - Anik F3 118.7W TP 32 ConUS beam changed to Available (H) (TV Japan SAP)

It actually was...Wednesday's up-link report.
This is kinda big news, as any HD addition is, not just some channel listed among a bazillion in a weekly uplink report. Only the hardcore really peruse those things, for the most part. (Hardcore is not intended as an insult, btw.)

I don't. lol
Ya never know. Adding TVJ HD is kind of a big deal. It shows that Dish is willing to listen to its subs, and add new HD channels. With the looming removal of AMC, they may be looking at channels like FearNet to fill the hole left by IFC, Sundance, WE, and AMC.

I have a hunch they may leave HDNet at 130 for AT subs, not only in B@H, as a replacement channel, as well..

Ya never know. Adding TVJ HD is kind of a big deal. It shows that Dish is willing to listen to its subs, and add new HD channels. With the looming removal of AMC, they may be looking at channels like FearNet to fill the hole left by IFC, Sundance, WE, and AMC.

I have a hunch they may leave HDNet at 130 for AT subs, not only in B@H, as a replacement channel, as well..
I hope so. i've been posting on dishes facebook page that FEARnet should take IFC's place.

Last edited:
BTW, the PQ on TVJ HD is absolutely outstanding. It seems to look better than other HD channels on Dish. It looks the same as it does in Japan, or the same as local OTA HD. I'm not sure if it's my imagination, or if it actually has less compression and/or higher bitrate, as there are only 3 channels on that transponder vs the usual 6. Is there any way to measure the signal? (Some hidden menu item in the Hopper somewhere? Or, perhaps somebody has the proper equipment to do this?)

GaryPen said:

HDNet (the HD feed on 362) is already included in America's Top 120 with HD and Dish Latino Dos with HD. Please do not fall for Dish's high quality replacement. HDNet Movies is in Blockbuster @ Home. The same thing with Style. It is in America's Top 200 (which Dish says is its most popular package) and was used as a high quality replacement for We (which is also an America's Top 200 channel). I think what upsets me a lot more than the possibility of losing the AMC Networks owned channels (AMC, We, Sundance, and IFC) is the "high quality" channels put in their channel slots. Also, there is no replacement for Sundance Channel. Likewise, Dish took IndiePlex off of Channel 393 and put a slate about what channels AMC moved to on channel 131. Therefore, the replacement for IFC is no longer there. For those with Dish Latino with HD Free for Life, Style is being provided in SD (although We is provided in SD).

I'm not seeing TV Japan. When the free programs come on, the receivers want to freeze. :(

Last edited:
gpollock87 said:
I hope so. i've been posting on dishes facebook page that FEARnet should take IFC's place.

I would like to see FEARnet. Too bad Dish did not keep Monsters HD. :(

BTW, the PQ on TVJ HD is absolutely outstanding. It seems to look better than other HD channels on Dish. It looks the same as it does in Japan, or the same as local OTA HD. I'm not sure if it's my imagination, or if it actually has less compression and/or higher bitrate, as there are only 3 channels on that transponder vs the usual 6. Is there any way to measure the signal? (Some hidden menu item in the Hopper somewhere? Or, perhaps somebody has the proper equipment to do this?)

For some reason i can't find it? I have the Hopper with 118 plus a foreign package?
I checked 600 and nothing. Scrolled up and down and no luck?

Any idea where it is?

For some reason i can't find it? I have the Hopper with 118 plus a foreign package?
I checked 600 and nothing. Scrolled up and down and no luck?

Any idea where it is?

You now have to subscribe to see it in your guide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts