TV Japan

tansu

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
When I no longer receive TV Japan, Dish will no longer receive my business.($120/mo.)
( No LOS to 118.7 )

Since he says he has no LOS to 118, then when Dish drops this channel from 61.5, then he's gone.

Zach, don't you have the official word that all international programming is going to 118? I thought it was official...

Zach, don't you have the official word that all international programming is going to 118? I thought it was official...

After searching through my e-mail, I was able to find what e-mail. It will be migrating to 118.7 but there is not a set date that this will be done. To tansu did you recently have a tech out who confirmed NLOS for 118.7?

Tansu - depending on where you live, TVJapan might be available on Cable (Comcast, Cox, TW, IO, etc) or IPTV (FIOS or Uverse).

If you're lucky enough to live in a TimeWarner area serving NY and NJ, you can get TVJapan in HD (Hi-Vision!)

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I know Comcast does carry it in my area. If you favor Satellite to Cable, did you ever think of competition. I like Dish, but if I couldn't get the programning I enjoy, I would give Dish my notice as well.

Switching to direct tv or cable. I always buy own equipment and install.
Any suggestions on which service or buying new(or used) equipment.
Will be selling 1000.4 dish and 2- 500 dish and 1- 300 dish and 2- 722's

I was going to point that out, but decided to let him make the switch..... not to mention very few cable systems carry it. Only one in Ct and one (in two places) in Florida I think :)

MegaHurtz World on many public TV OTA multi-plex does carry a fair amount of TVJapan (NHK) programming, and in HD!--at least HD on the MAIN public TV channel if they play some TVJapan content on their as well.

I know Dish has bandwidth issues, especially on 118, but offering this channel in HD would make a splash.

Last edited:
I was going to point that out, but decided to let him make the switch..... not to mention very few cable systems carry it. Only one in Ct and one (in two places) in Florida I think :)

he posted in the Comcast area that his Comcast franchise does carry TVJapan

I do believe Atlanta comcast where he is apparently carries it, according to the JVJapan site. Looks like $30. I'm guessing he's just not happy with Dish because we still get TVJapan on 61.5, in fact it has been free for awhile, not just the free news.

Dish Network and most cable companies carry TV Japan for $25 a month. It is a set price and it is fairly expensive for 1 channel at $25. If you live in the populated Japanese cities like Los Angeles, New York, Hawaii, you can get cheaper or free local Japanese programming OTA. You can always depend on the local video stores to rent the latest drama series, shows and movies if there is one.

As well, I do feel bad to tansu, because if he doesn't have LOS to 118.7, Dish Network actually has another channel included with TV Japan, and it's ONE World Sports, which has exclusive rights to the Japanese J-League. No other cable provider has ONE World Sports.

I do believe Atlanta comcast where he is apparently carries it, according to the JVJapan site. Looks like $30. I'm guessing he's just not happy with Dish because we still get TVJapan on 61.5, in fact it has been free for awhile, not just the free news.
Are you sure it's free 100% of the time? It has always been free for some shows, including the news. If it's full-time free, wth am I paying $25?!!!!

Dish Network and most cable companies carry TV Japan for $25 a month. It is a set price and it is fairly expensive for 1 channel at $25. If you live in the populated Japanese cities like Los Angeles, New York, Hawaii, you can get cheaper or free local Japanese programming OTA. You can always depend on the local video stores to rent the latest drama series, shows and movies if there is one.
The part-time OTA stuff isn't the same as 24-hour full-time Japanese programming from NHK. But, it is a nice icing on the turkey.

MegaHurtz World on many public TV OTA multi-plex does carry a fair amount of TVJapan (NHK) programming, and in HD!--at least HD on the MAIN public TV channel if they play some TVJapan content on their as well.

I know Dish has bandwidth issues, especially on 118, but offering this channel in HD would make a splash.
It sure would!!!!!!!! (!!!!) All of NHK's programming is produced in HD, or as the Japanese call it, "Hi-Vision". I put in a request for it. (It's available on TW Cable in NY/NJ) But, I'm not holding my breath.

As well, I do feel bad to tansu, because if he doesn't have LOS to 118.7, Dish Network actually has another channel included with TV Japan, and it's ONE World Sports, which has exclusive rights to the Japanese J-League. No other cable provider has ONE World Sports.
Since when? I've never seen this mentioned anywhere. What is the channel number? And, when you say "J-League", are you referring to Baseball, or Soccer and Rugby?

Are you sure it's free 100% of the time? It has always been free for some shows, including the news. If it's full-time free, wth am I paying $25?!!!!

It has been free for quite awhile on 61.5 all the time, not just news. Possibly in freeview or something, I don't know but it has been free. Just looked and it's still free for all programming. It's not in English other than the news programs, and every once in awhile other programs, but rare. Right now Life Created By Humans is on and watchable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts