TV Japan

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
It has been free for quite awhile on 61.5 all the time, not just news. Possibly in freeview or something, I don't know but it has been free. Just looked and it's still free for all programming. It's not in English other than the news programs, and every once in awhile other programs, but rare. Right now Life Created By Humans is on and watchable.
You lucky gator! I'm paying 25 spendolas a month to view it off 118.7.

I'm almost tempted to cancel, just to see if I still get it.

Well, atleast in New York and Los Angeles, you can get the drama series for free. Most people care about those than the news unless they are a big news fan.

Trendy dramas are popular, for sure. But NHK dramas are of a much higher quality. (They are finally starting to get a little racier, which was the major complaint about their usually straight-laced dramas.) Plus, with TV Japan, you also get NHK documentaries, news features, daily news, entertainment, and sumo. Plus, some non-NHK movies, specials, and variety shows.

If Dish would add the HD feed of this channel, non-Japanese may watch just because of the fantastic quality of the documentaries and nature shows. Sumo takes on a new dimension, as well. (Sumo, as well as a lot of TVJ programming have English SAP. You have to select Japanese as the alternate audio in the Dish menu, ironically. Selecting English gives you Japanese audio. Go figure.)

In the mean time, I wish they'd get the SD feed to look better. It leaves a little something to be desired on a 60" plasma.

Thanks for the link. I'm gonna check it out. But, NHK World is different. It's specially produced English-language NHK programming, with a few English SAP versions of regular NHK programming. I used to watch it on a local OTA sub-channel until the sponsor decided not to subsidize it anymore. It was especially handy during the Fukishima melt down.

It wouldn't satisfy the wife's need for real Japanese-language programming, though. She needs the real thing. Although, once Sling gets off their butt, and finally releases a GTV or Roku app, she could just rely on our Japanese Slingbox.

Didn't know NHK dramas are consider high quality. I know Fuji produce the high ratings series and there are two more stations, TBS, NTV that do so-so depending on the show. And, Asashi earning the lowest rating of all.

TV Japan do air limited dramas from TBS and NTV.

"Popular" and "High Quality" are often two completely different things that have nothing to do with each other. It's just as true in Japan as in the US, if not more so.

There's a reason they're called "trendy dramas", and not "quality dramas".

"Popular" and "High Quality" are often two completely different things that have nothing to do with each other. It's just as true in Japan as in the US, if not more so.

There's a reason they're called "trendy dramas", and not "quality dramas".
I would go one step further and say that they are generally mutually exclusive, not just unrelated. :D

It was in freeview, and it ended today. Still get the English language News shows free though.

:facepalm I give up. After reading this thread I was just about to check out the freeview channel.

How to email maryb@dishnetwork

Tried email on this site - inbox full.
Tried email on outlook - returned.
How?

AS I said : maryb@Dish Network has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Kinda surprised that her inbox is full. I'm sure she gets lots of PMs but I would hope that they increased the PM limits for the DIRT member accounts on this board, I'd be very surprised if that wasn't done.

I think it's pretty sad that someone decided to give out her office email address instead of letting her or one of the other dirt members decide if they wanted to give it out. If it were me, I wouldn't want my work email plastered on a public website for all to see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)