TV Land - Viewers Demand Retro Shows

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have all of the classics on DVD . We really don't need TVland anymore. And with all of the edits and commercials (and pop ups) you would be better off watching them on Dvd.

Their "programming experts" must be nuts. The TV land "awards" have been a joke for years.....just an excuse for reunions of long-gone shows' stars which...if they called it "what it is" would be much better. And, a couple times lately, I've seen shows that end early (few or no commercials) followed by 9 to 10 minutes of straight commercial matter!

It's kind of like the big-city radio execs that advertise on their "chain" stations, "45 minutes of continuous music." Then, when you're the unlucky person who tunes in during the last of the set, you get 10 -15 commercials in a row. I'd hate to be an advertiser in that mix on radio, or in the way TV land has done it lately with the "block" commercials. Don't you think most of the audience understands that COMMERCIAL tv means there will be "commercials?" (spaced normally and presented with reasonable programming length in-between?)

And yes, classics on DVD, and the "over the air" retro networks, plus on-demand older shows on Roku and similar boxes make us depend less on TV land. But, wouldn't you think they'd want to work harder to keep us as viewers?

It would be fun to see what our members here would like to see brought back and aired via OTA or satellite in the "classic TV" arena! Thoughts?

TVLand is useless

If I want to watch Sanford and Son I'll watch it on TvOne. They dont butcher the show like TVLand does (and put commercials in weird spots)

I remember the very first day of TVLAND. I Taped the network for days. I haven't looked at them in a while but I believe when they started the only commercials they showed were retro commercials. It has changed for the worse for sure. They showed Shazam from the 1970's, The Star Trek Animated Cartoon from 1973 and other rare gems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have two Youtube channels. Here is one of the first retro commercials from TVland that I recorded

Last edited by a moderator:
Garbage....

And who knows? Hot in Cleveland might one day invite the same nostalgia as All In the Family or I Love Lucy....
-Not a chance!
It's all crap now. Like MTV or even CMT....try and find a music video on those now! :rant:

MeTV has basically become for me what TV Land used to be. AntennaTV is great, too. Let's not forget RTV.

TV Land needs to heed the warnings and requests of their viewers, lest they become irrelevant (are they already?)...

you guys are lucky to have c band/fta dishes and ota where rtn,metv,tuff tv,antennatv-over the air I got this tv locally and twc cable and I'm not allowed to have satellite,nor the second cable company or an out door antenna where I am now I miss my old c band hobby had some of this good stuff on ivi tv til that got taken away as well settle for film on for now and might get sky angel iptv thinking about it and rokus box some one recently hauled off 3 of my old dishes I had in storage for strap metal one was a 12 footer paraclypse dish would have been great to get that one up and running oh well still got some prime star dishes and my old prodelin dish still up in my stomping grounds place

Even though I continued to sub, I didn't watch TV Land for the longest time. Then they started to air the "I Dream of Jeannie" series and I hoped they were returning to their roots. The pop up ads and condensed credits almost ruin it.

I'm considering purchasing the box sets on DVD of my favorites. I already found a collectors set of "Rat Patrol" the complete series on clearance for $14.

When these channels first appeared:
FX: They filmed within an apartment and aired shows such as Nanny and the Professor and Family Affair.
MTV: It showed 24 hour a day music videos with VJ's hosting.
VH1: It showed 24 hour a day music videos with VJ's hosting.
Cartoon Network: They aired retro cartoons like Top Cat, Pixie & Dixie, etc.
National Geographic: They showed nature programming.
Nick at Nite: They showed Donna Reed, Dennis the Menace, Love that Bob, etc.

The videos I have in my archives would make you guys drool. No only TVLand but many of the old UHF stations back years ago that had many of the retro shows . Many times they didn't edit them and you didn't see station logos or pop-ups. For me I guess I could live with the edits but the pop ups are awful. And we have to deal with them on network television with first run shows. That is wrong.

Many of these networks no longer resemble how they started. Reality TV has crept into every popular channel.

The problem is people are watching these reality shows. if they didn't the stations would lose advertising and the programming would change.

I remember that on c band fx was free for a while then went vc2 and never packaged their channel to sell due to them getting major league baseball games I remember nostlgia tv good life tv or what ever became of it today sci fi channel was in the clear free for a while in the beginning as well wgn had rat patrol way back when i been getting some stuff on dvd box sets when the price is right

I just read that TV Land will soon be adding "CSI" to their schedule. Good grief! Why not "Mannix", "Cannon", "Baretta", "Jake and the Fatman", "Kojak", "Starsky & Hutch" or any other retro dramas.

It is time for dish to drop tv land. Wait they can't because it is part of the package required by the program provider.

Until true ala carte comes along we be forced to pay for junk like tv land.

tomcrown1 said:
It is time for dish to drop tv land. Wait they can't because it is part of the package required by the program provider.

Until true ala carte comes along we be forced to pay for junk like tv land.

That provider also has crap channels like mtv and vh1 etc.....drop 'em all!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)