TV Overscan

sixy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
St. Albans, West Virginia
Does overscan irritate other people as much as it does me? What's the purpose of it? On HDNews, it cuts off the top so I can't see the cities. It bothered me there, but not enough to do anything about it because I live in West Virginia which is never displayed on there anyway. I recently bought the new Mortal Kombat game for XBox though and it's cutting the edges off of so that I can't see the percentage of combos. Can you adjust the overscan somehow? I've checked all the settings on the TV. Perhaps some secret menu? *crosses fingers* It's a Mitsubishi. I'm not sure of the model #.

Anyway, I guess I'm just venting.

Absolutely there is a way to adjust it. Go over to AVSFORUM and start asking around over there.

I had a professional adjust mine, my overscan was over 7 percent at the top which drove me batty. I have a nice 1 percent overscan in all directions now, which limits MOST of the video noise that broadcasters allow into their signals.

My PJ is 3% and I see things you guys don't, like space below the scrolling banners and gaps under some of the Cinema10 movies (no gaps on top, it's NOT OAR issues), it's like a 1" space only on the bottom, & a little white square at the lower left corner of the image, outside of the picture area.

As another note, I've noticed my TV has NO overscan region, as I can see the extra data signals in the top overscan region when watching my locals. Rather annoying 2-3 scanlines worth of wite and black 'static' at the top of my screen.

sixy said:
Does overscan irritate other people as much as it does me? What's the purpose of it? On HDNews, it cuts off the top so I can't see the cities. It bothered me there, but not enough to do anything about it because I live in West Virginia which is never displayed on there anyway. I recently bought the new Mortal Kombat game for XBox though and it's cutting the edges off of so that I can't see the percentage of combos. Can you adjust the overscan somehow? I've checked all the settings on the TV. Perhaps some secret menu? *crosses fingers* It's a Mitsubishi. I'm not sure of the model #.

Anyway, I guess I'm just venting.
In this post I have outlined how to navigate the service codes in a 2003 Mitsu. Make sure that if you do change anything you write down the original value before you change anything.