TV Recomendations

swub

Jun 28, 2008
Memphis, TN
I have a Philips 47" LCD that has HDMI handshake issues. If I was to replace this TV to be used with a ViP 722k on HDMI which brand will work the best?

Thanks for input.

I have a Philips 47" LCD that has HDMI handshake issues. If I was to replace this TV to be used with a ViP 722k on HDMI which brand will work the best?

Thanks for input.

Hi, I would think just about any TV should work about the same with HDMI. Are you sure the Phillps TV has the problem? Did you try another HDMI cable? Do you have another HDMI device to try? Does the Phillps TV have component input? Perhaps you could use that instead.

Later, DC

HDMI cables

I have tried cheap ones and rather expensive ones. Sad part is I have had this TV for a few years now and am just not getting anything HD. No I do not have anything else with HDMI output.

Dish has already replaced the receiver once. The problem is my sound will go out when I change from HD to SD but only on the SD channel or recorded SD program.

The two work-a-rounds are:
1: Use component wires.
2: Cycle power on the TV.

Not sure I want to use component since HDMI is suppose to be better.

Not sure I want to use component since HDMI is suppose to be better.

HDMI is no better for video quality than component and if you use SPDIF for the audio you shouldn't notice any difference in audio either. Actually, component will often clear up problems that you have with HDMI.

I have a 4yr old Philips plasma and have had it connected by HDMI with Dish 722, blu-ray, AV receiver and computers and have never had a problem with HDMI.

Some televisions (ie. Sony) have excellent D/A decoders. For these, HDMI is far superior to component. Others reasons: single cable solution, passage of 5.1 and 7.1 audio (to pass that analog takes AC3 decoding and 7 cables for audio only) . 3d, on 1.4 devices bi directional, and often same brand equipment comunicates with each other.:D

What do you connect with SPDIF?

Digital audio out on 722 is Toslink (optical cable) also most modern TVs will also have that output to go to a stereo/surround receiver. It sends excellent stereo sound, but not capable of digital surround.:D

What do you connect with SPDIF?

Hi, it's for digital audio. Another way to consider hooking up the 722 would be to use component for the video and use digital direct to the sound system if you have one. The TV would use the stereo red and white RCA cables for audio and when you want full surround sound you would fire up the sound system.

Hope this helps, DC

Digital audio out on 722 is Toslink (optical cable) also most modern TVs will also have that output to go to a stereo/surround receiver. It sends excellent stereo sound, but not capable of digital surround.:D

I don't know where some of you get your information from, but SPDIF either Toslink(optical) or Coax transmits 5.1 or 7.1. It's digital, not analog. My 722 is on right now, connected to my AVR by Toslink and the readout is "Dolby Digital" and it doesn't show that unless it's getting a true Dolby feed.

From Satellite guys-AVS Forums, can't find the post where I argued your case but it's there. At my age I find myself wrong more than right.:D

"In the AVS forum there is sevral theads on this here is on quote

In the few posts where I have seen this claim, the posters were confused. Here's what happened. When the 2-channel optical output from their TV was sent to their AVR, the AVR was set to output 5.1 channels regardless of the input. So, the AVR was using one of the multichannel surrround formats (Dolby PLIIx, Dolby PLII, DTS NEO:6, etc) to convert and present the 2-channel as 5.1 or even 7.1 channels. The AVR delivered 5.1 channels but it was not the 5.1-channel track that was originally with the source material.

As noted before, for DRM reasons, these sets can not pass DD 5.1 channel material except from OTA sources"

On my TV, a Sony XBR5, I get a slightly better picture with HDMI than I do with the component feed. It's not a major difference, but enough so that you can see it if you switch back and forth between the two.

Larry
SF

Well there was no software update for the TV. I connected both HDMI and Component to compare and could only tell that there was a difference in sound. I then ordered an optical to coaxial (RCA) Digital Audio converter and needed cables from monoprice.com. This should improve the audio.

Thanks for all the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)