TV Set up for programming and guide

Coastalguy

Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
NC
I have a new 42" Visio HD Flat Screen TV connected to a Dish Network 722 DVR. I am having problems in setting up the vertical and horizontal edges to where hd programs fill the screen, without the guide running off the edges. Whenever I set an hd program to the screen edges, the guide flows off the screen. If I then shrink the guide to the edges, the picture shrinks so it no longer fills the screen. Does anyone know how to keep the guide from flowing beyond the screen, if the hd picture fills the screen? Thanks....:confused:

722 Format

Thanks. However, I did forget to mention that I have used both the TV format along with the 722 HD Format function. On the 722, I have set this function, first to 1080i, and also on the format to all 3 (9:16, 4:3#1 and 4:3#2). None of these seem to effect the size of the guide (namely reducing the size of it, after setting the size of the picture correctly).:confused:

Hello, this is Mike LeMar with DISH Network customer service. I just wanted to ask you a few questions to better help you resolve this issue. Do you know what type of cable(s) you're using to connect the DISH receiver to the TV? If you're using a non-HD cable, that limits format options that we have. Also, when you press the "star" key, do you see the format changing on the banner in the top left corner?

Mike

Yes the star key takes me through all of the formats. I am not sure of the cable, other than it is RG6. I seem to have all of the formatting I need to format the picture to the full size, however it is just the "GUIDE" formatting that I cannot resize, INDEPENDENT of the picture. Your "chat" people advise that you do not have the availability to resize just the guide, but just those on your menu (standard, expanded, extended etc.)

Yes the star key takes me through all of the formats. I am not sure of the cable, other than it is RG6. I seem to have all of the formatting I need to format the picture to the full size, however it is just the "GUIDE" formatting that I cannot resize, INDEPENDENT of the picture. Your "chat" people advise that you do not have the availability to resize just the guide, but just those on your menu (standard, expanded, extended etc.)

I think you just answered your question.
RG6 will not send an HD signal.
Use an HDMI cable or a Red Green Blue Cable instead.

I think you just answered your question.
RG6 will not send an HD signal.
Use an HDMI cable or a Red Green Blue Cable instead.

The "Red, Green, Blue cable he is referring to is a component video cable. If you use that you will also need audio cable to the set as well. That would be a dual RCA connector cable that will be colored either red & white or black and grey for the right & left audio. The HDMI is a single cable.

HD Cable

I apologize, I thought you meant the cable from the satellite to the receiver. No I am using an HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV.

I apologize, I thought you meant the cable from the satellite to the receiver. No I am using an HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV.

Have you tried changing the picture size on the TV? Try adjusting that with the guide being displayed. It may be a combination of getting both the TV and Dish to display in normal HD mode.

Thanks dwarren2,

It finally dawned on me to adjust the TV with the guide displayed, and then to use the Receiver's asterisk button, to flip through the various formats. I was trying to do it in reverse, fit the picture to the screen, having the guide flow off of it.

What I didn't realize was that the asterisk button only effects the picture and not the guide, so that once the the guide is set properly, it always remains the proper size, then allowing a quick resize of the picture, using the asterisk button, to fit the broadcast. I found that for most, the "zoom" works well, but that on a standard broadcast (4:3) the top and bottom expands beyond the screen. Then a quick run through the asterisk formats to "normal", fixes that, bringing in the sides showing a black border on each side. HD broadcasts seem to fit the screen perfectly in "Zoom" mode. Thanks,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts