TV STATIONS NOW IN NEIGHBORING MARKETS

curt_dawg2000

Original poster
Nov 30, 2019
soperton
Dx becoming more diffcult after tv repack. I live in south georgia and have noticed neighboring markers are using the same channels to brocast on for example wupa out of atlanta is brocasting on channel 36 and wfxg out of augusta is also channel 36 which is about 130 miles apart however for those who live between atlanta and augusta co channel interfearence cancell each other out. I live in soperton and im fixing to have the same problem with wgxa macon and wtgs savannah will be on channel 26 and most nights i get both channels full strengh i do have a high gain antenna but still i see bad co channel interfearence on good nights not sure why neighboring markets are doing this. I know its tight but i think they could space it out better. I would love to see all stations use one or two channels in a market share cost why providing better coverage for the whole area. Makes more sense that way lol.

I figure that after July of next year that Dxing TV will be a thing of the past. So many nearby markets have channels on the same frequencies as local markets to the point that if you do get any skip, your local market stations would cancel out anything you might receive otherwise.

Keep in mind the local stations do not make the channel assignments, the FCC does that. Licensees can request a given channel, but there's no guarantee they'll get it.

DXing may not be possible when broadcasters switch to ATSC 3.0 since apparently there is a mechanism for encryption and also the ability to determine your location with the option of not allowing the signal to be decoded unless you are in the designated viewing area. :( Hopefully broadcasters will not be that greedy but then again we know how that goes.
OldRollEyes2.png

Reactions: jamesjimcie
DXing may not be possible when broadcasters switch to ATSC 3.0 since apparently there is a mechanism for encryption and also the ability to determine your location with the option of not allowing the signal to be decoded unless you are in the designated viewing area. :( Hopefully broadcasters will not be that greedy but then again we know how that goes. View attachment 142043
I'm betting the encryption part will only be in use for the optional use of premium or pay TV OTA. I don't see how they can tell where you are in relation to how far away you're receiving the signal. The two-way communication aspect of ATSC 3.0 is through a network connection only. That's probably for streaming content online through the receiver from ABC, CBS, NBC, etc. There's no way the FCC would allow receivers to do two-way communication via the antenna connection. Think about all of the noisy communication that would create.

I'm betting the encryption part will only be in use for the optional use of premium or pay TV OTA. I don't see how they can tell where you are in relation to how far away you're receiving the signal. The two-way communication aspect of ATSC 3.0 is through a network connection only. That's probably for streaming content online through the receiver from ABC, CBS, NBC, etc. There's no way the FCC would allow receivers to do two-way communication via the antenna connection. Think about all of the noisy communication that would create.
I'm hoping too that's what the encryption is only used for. As far as location though it would not need two-way communication. All they would need to do is require you to specify a zip code on your end to get access to the signal from the tuner. Once you enter one they could block all other markets signals. I hope they don't go down that path. :(

I can see two way communcation working with antennas. But i think the way everything is done now wouldn't work. I do think broadcasters should all use one central tower in a broadcast area and then have repeater or relays to make sure the whole viewing area is covered like in my area wgxa comes in full strenght all the time wmgt only comes in late at night and its cause of the power difference. I know that there's a better way and macon is way behind on sub channels as well, no grit, antenna tv, tbd, start tv, decades and theres more than that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)