TV switches to channel 101 automatically

Footsiebear

Original poster
Dec 25, 2009
louisiana
How do I stop Dish Network from changing to channel 101 automatically? It does it at all hours of the day or night, I'll be watching one channel (even at 4am) and the next thing I know I'm watching that stupid Dishnetwork Channel on 101. Yeah all I have to do is hit recall and it goes back to the channel I was watching but in 17 years of Directv, I never had this problem.

Do you have anything set to autotune at 5:12 AM? Maybe that channel no longer exists or not on that channel at least. If the receiver is set to autotune a channel that doesn't exist it will go to channel 101....

Every night the receiver checks for updates and reboots. After the reboot it starts with channel 101. Mine does it at 3 AM. You can control the time of this check/reboot in the settings.

Normally before it reboots it gives me a warning and an option to skip the reboot. So, if I am watching something that late at night, I can cancel the reboot. Also, if there is a recording in progress, it won't reboot.

Not to hijack Footsiebear's thread...His seems to be random. Mine tunes to 101 consistently at 0512.

It is not a reboot. The screen goes blank for about 3 seconds, then 101 pops up.

My updates occur at 0300. This is not the same thing.

I have no timers set for this time, nor have I ever.

If mine were happening randomly like Footsiebear's, it would be quite annoying. However, I've grown accustomed to it happening at 0512 on the nose and would probably miss it should it ever resolve. :D

I've had a problem with mine at 4:12 AM Mountain Time (standard or daylight-savings) for a year. Even this week I had both 722s set to record a one-time show and they were stopped by "User 1" 1/2 hour after I quit watching. The reboot times are different and not near this time, ever. The 6 remotes are set to unusual addresses above 10 by the installer including a 622 in the house and my closest neighbor and only local Dish user AFAIK is not up then. I have not even had obvious extraneous changes during the day. I think it does not stop if it is not in standby, e.g., if I am watching it. So I guess for those nights when I need to get a recording across that time, I will just leave it on or maybe just one to verify this problem.

Dish 1000 WA, Dish 500 single at 61.5, DPP44, 30' dish to 722s, southern neighbors > 400' across canyon.
-Ken

This is pretty interesting. My 722 and the 622 before that have had a similar behavior at 6:12 am Eastern Time. I have determined that it happens only when tuned to ether of two HD Local stations.

In my case the screen goes blank for a couple of seconds, then returns to the same channel.
If the channel is being recorded, the recording is stopped.
If the channel is paused, it goes to live TV. The pause graphics stays on the screen however.

Dish Network Techs say that no one else is reporting this issue.

...In my case the screen goes blank for a couple of seconds, then returns to the same channel...

Since, L623, that's what mine does as well. It no longer tunes to 101, but goes blank (no audio or video) for a couple seconds as if being tuned to another channel, but returns to the current channel. It still happens at 0512.

I can't refute what you said about it only occurring while tuned to an HD LiL, because, I always tune to one of my HD LiLs (KXAS) prior to turning everything off every evening.

My receiver (Dish 322) does the same thing though not as frequently; about once a week. I'll be watching one channel and it will just change to Dish 101 for no apparent reason. I'm starting to believe that this may be an issue affecting another post that I made here.

I just got off the phone with Dish Network, and the tech (I believe he was Russian) let it slip that the receiver changing to Dish 101 was a know issue. He kind of implied that it may be smart card related. However, he didn't have a solution for this problem or my recording issue other than to do a hard reset of the receiver by unplugging it.

The 4:12 AM MT problem hit me again tonight. Actually one said 4:11 and the other 4:13 stop times. One was in stand-by and the other was being used to view something else. Drat-it. Another lost program that will be shown only once a year or so--Dead End on MGM HD, I have my TCM SD copy.
-Ken

Ok this is wierd: KKlare reports problems at 4:12 MT, 120inna55 reports problems at 5:12 CT and JrC reports problems at 6:12 ET. Those are actually the same times. I believe it is something Dish is doing.

Regular changes are one thing but random 101 changes are often related to the remote control getting couch dialed. When a remote is "mashed" and it can't figure out what is going on, the receiver will often tune to 101 as a bailout.

I would remove the remote from the room (or remove a battery) for a time and see if the OP's problem goes away.

NOTE: this test is not meant for those with regular channel 101 changes. It isn't meant to diagnose those issues.

I have to report that recording two shows on one recorder and sure enough it stopped at 4:11AM MT (4:12 +/- 1 min). One stopped even as I watched it without a glitch. That was a 61.5W channel the other on 110W did not stop. I have disconnected 61.5W from long ago but the preferred one over 129W on this recorder, forced an switch check, and will record a previously broken show on the 17th.
So what is the problem?
This took 3 tries to be accepted.
-Ken

I am also having this problem. Dish Network has even replace my mother's 322 receiver and we are still randomly being sent to channel 101 at least once per day. So far dish network is still giving us the run-around!!! I think they have a software issue and don't want to deal with it. No one is touching any remotes and the switch is always to channel 101.

Ooops, I missed Dish Networks admission of a software issue, I had been incensed at what appeared to be a re-hash of trouble shooting steps. They included the following:

"This is a known software issue with this model receiver as well; the above listed steps are to help if there is something else causing the issue. If the issue persists this is due to the software. Our engineering department is working on a fix, to keep the receiver as up to date as possible, please power the receiver off when not in use."

The same thing is happening to my receiver. (dish 322-software L482) Every morning at 5:12 AM (CT) this has been going on for 2 years. At first Dish aknowledged it was a software problem. Now when I call they say they know nothing about it. 2 months ago I called coporate and they said someone from the software dept would call back.I have not heard a thing. Today it switched 3 times. Grrrrrr

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)