TV2 IR Remote setup

larsonse

Original poster
Jan 7, 2010
Cape Coral, FL
I'm new to the dish community but am having a problem getting the remote - UHF Pro 6.4 to work. Which chip should I be using? I called tech support and they walked me through trying to set it up to no avail. They told me the converter box was dead. Is there a way to test the box itself? Based on my past experience with tech support I'm inclined to think the problem is the remote not the box. Any suggestions? I'm using a 625 and nothing between the converter and the tv. This is on TV2 BTW.

Really need a little more info.:confused: Is this a new installaion? Did it work, then stop? Have you tried changing the remotes' address (it tells you how in your manual)? TV1 is working fine?

The "chip" should show "2" for TV2 which is UHF.

Ed

My 625 came with a UHF Pro 6.0 for TV2. The 6.0 has a two-position switch under the "2" key. Flipping it over and reinserting it turns off UHF and turns on IR. The 6.3 has a 4-position switch, which gives you a lot more ways to go wrong. I'll bet the 6.4 is at least that complicated. Does it work for TV2 using UHF?

The TV2 IR converter is even more confusing. It can only use remote address 1, which is the default for TV1 operation. I would try getting the remote to work w/o the converter, i.e. with the UHF Pro remote on address 1. You may have to move the TV1 address to something other than 1 before you can get the receiver to switch the TV2 address.

When he said "converter box" I guessed he meant the 625, maybe he did mean the TV2 to IR converter...........:confused: Then the address does have to be 1.

Ed

That is wrong, the IR to UHF coverter can use ANY address it does not need to be 1.

That is wrong, the IR to UHF coverter can use ANY address it does not need to be 1.
If that is wrong, then why did Scott say this?

One of the things I needed to do was change the remote address of the TV1 remote since the converter also outputs the TV2 IR as TV1. This was done easily by changing the TV1 remote address to another number. (Anything but 1)

If that is wrong, then why did Scott say this?

Taken from the Tech Portal that is available to all customers at tech.dishnetwork.com- pick the remote number under remotes then the tv2 to IR converter under how to It's pretty much the same website that is used internally for Trouble shooting and information.

Considerations:
  • If the Converter is used at TV2 with a DISH Network remote (excluding 222k and 722k)
    1. Flip the remote's key to show the black UHF side; for replacement remote kits, the silver IR key will also work.

Note: this still controls TV2
    2. Set the Converter for TV2

Note: If the Converter is used to control a 322, 522, 625 or 942, you must set the Converter to Band A and set the Converter's TV 2/1 switch accordingly.
  • If the Converter is used to control a 222k or 722k
    1. Set the Converter to Band A if the remote used an odd-numbered adderss; set to Band B if the remote uses an even-numbered address; set the Converter's TV 2/1 switch accordingly.
    2. Leave the remote key as Blue TV2, but set the UHF / IR switch inside the receiver's 21.0 remote controls battery compartment to IR.
  • If the Converter is used to control TV2 with a Slingbox, and you also want independent control of TV2, you must set the Converter to TV2 and set the remotes as follows:
    • TV1's address is set to anything but address 1
    • TV2's address must be 1 and the Band A/B switch inside the battery compartment on the TV2 remote control must match the A/B switch on the Converter

Thursday June 11 2009 © 2009 Dish Network L.L.C. All rights reserved.

Yep, guess I was thinking of using the TV2 UHF to IR converter with a Slingbox, in which case TV2s' address MUST be 1 and TV1s' address anything OTHER than 1.

My bad.............:rolleyes:

Ed

Yep, guess I was thinking of using the TV2 UHF to IR converter with a Slingbox, in which case TV2s' address MUST be 1 and TV1s' address anything OTHER than 1.
Same here. I guess from the above quotes this is a Slingbox limitation and not a TV2 IR Converter limitation. So the OP should be able to use a Dish remote in IR mode on any address. Is that your reading too? His converter may really be dead.

Edited to add new suggestion for troubleshooting: grab a digital camera and look at the IR emitters on the remote when you press a button. Do you see what looks like a bright light coming from the emitters? This should definitively establish if the Dish remote is functioning in IR mode, or not.

And actually the info from Dish is wrong about the slingbox also because the sling can use more than address #1 to control dish recievers. I myself use addresses 1, 2 & 3 with my slingboxes and the IR to UHF converter.

And actually the info from Dish is wrong about the slingbox also because the sling can use more than address #1 to control dish recievers. I myself use addresses 1, 2 & 3 with my slingboxes and the IR to UHF converter.

Really!? That's what I get for following their instructions!:rolleyes::rant:

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)