TV2 Remote Antenna Boost on 922

Okay, so I was still battling this issue. My walls are THICK!

So, after making a jumper cable, extending my antenna, and using a parabolic reflector, I still wasn't able to penetrate through 2 walls of 1.5' thick adobe. (The tv2 is only 25' away!)

So, I started to research this. The antenna is operating on a 2.4Ghz frequency. I figured any wifi antenna should work with this receiver. So, I built a Double Biquad antenna, following the instructions on this page:

Biquad Antenna Construction

double_nearly.jpg

I think the main reason why dish put a proprietary connector on the back of the unit, is because regular RG6 has an impedance of 75 ohms. I'm assuming that this antenna was designed for a 50 ohm impedance, and that's why we can't combine it onto the RG6 like we did with our old receivers. With a higher impedance, a lot of power is wasted as soon as it hits RG6.

This didn't stop me from giving it a shot. I built a double biquad that has a gain of around 13-14db. I don't have any 50 ohm cable yet, but I used regular 75 ohm RG6 because I figured the gain would probably give me at least a little bit of improvement.

It finally worked! I know this is going to the extreme, but it was a fun project, and I think the double biquad looks pretty good on my wall! I'm going to order some 50 ohm LMR-400 cable to get the best bang out of it.

:)

M10 connector source ?

Has a source been found for the M10 connectors or cable ? I need to extend the UHF antenna on my hopper. Unfortunately the Dish installer had a hard time putting my antenna on and I think he may have cross-threaded it by trying to screw on an "F" connector.:confused:

Has a source been found for the M10 connectors or cable ? I need to extend the UHF antenna on my hopper. Unfortunately the Dish installer had a hard time putting my antenna on and I think he may have cross-threaded it by trying to screw on an "F" connector.:confused:
I may have, it's in the mail and will arrive in a few days. If I can make it work I'll let you know.

I'm confused why you would need to do this on a hopper. The antenna only serves the hopper, as each Joey has their antenna built in, and the hopper can't be that far from your viewing position can it?

But, one way I have found to extend it is to buy a push on connector from Radio Shack and connect a regular antenna from the 222, 722, 622, 322, 635, etc, to the end of a new jumper. In the case of the 922, you can run a splitter behind the box, with an antenna on one side, and the other side going to a line going towards the other tv, then placing the antenna on it via a barrel or wallplate.

the hopper can't be that far from your viewing position can it?

Sure it can be... you been in my house?
Look, my reason for extending is I mirror to my bedroom from the kitchen Hopper; different floor of the house, quite a distance. The push on connecter sounds interesting...if it will fit on Hopper antenna connector, I'll check it out, good idea. :)

Sure it can be... you been in my house?
Look, my reason for extending is I mirror to my bedroom from the kitchen Hopper; different floor of the house, quite a distance. The push on connecter sounds interesting...if it will fit on Hopper antenna connector, I'll check it out, good idea. :)

The push on works, I've used that exact setup for a customer on a 922 that had concrete walls and the tv2 remote wouldn't work at all. The f fittings are the same size, just different threads. The other thing you could do if you really wanted to use use 922/hopper antenna (which isn't necessary, a regular dual tuner one works fine) is grind down the threads on a barrel or a splitter and use it to push into the antenna female f fitting.

Okay, so I was still battling this issue. My walls are THICK!

So, after making a jumper cable, extending my antenna, and using a parabolic reflector, I still wasn't able to penetrate through 2 walls of 1.5' thick adobe. (The tv2 is only 25' away!)

So, I started to research this. The antenna is operating on a 2.4Ghz frequency. I figured any wifi antenna should work with this receiver. So, I built a Double Biquad antenna, following the instructions on this page:

Biquad Antenna Construction

View attachment 71248

I think the main reason why dish put a proprietary connector on the back of the unit, is because regular RG6 has an impedance of 75 ohms. I'm assuming that this antenna was designed for a 50 ohm impedance, and that's why we can't combine it onto the RG6 like we did with our old receivers. With a higher impedance, a lot of power is wasted as soon as it hits RG6.

This didn't stop me from giving it a shot. I built a double biquad that has a gain of around 13-14db. I don't have any 50 ohm cable yet, but I used regular 75 ohm RG6 because I figured the gain would probably give me at least a little bit of improvement.

It finally worked! I know this is going to the extreme, but it was a fun project, and I think the double biquad looks pretty good on my wall! I'm going to order some 50 ohm LMR-400 cable to get the best bang out of it.

:)

Technician1313, cool looking antenna. Is it still working good for you? Did you try out the 50 ohm LMR 400 cable?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)